uniqs
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to quetwo

Premium Member

to quetwo

Re: Not quite how it works...

Hosted server, VPN, and MLPPP solves the problem.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Just makes it even more impractical, and turns this from "Why?" into "WTF?"

Most home users really don't need more than about 10Mbps anyway. Sure it's fun to have 400Mbps in your home but content delivery technology and compression is getting better by the day negating the need for super fast connections.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

I agree. When I was young and single, I actually contemplated a similar configuration using cable and DSL connections. It was more about bragging rights than anything. The bang for the buck wasn't sufficient for me so I dropped the idea.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Most home users really don't need more than about 10Mbps anyway.

Can we fix this and say "fifty nine doesnt really need more than about 10Mbps anyway"?

That would be the correct way to post your personal need instead of trying to state fact for the greater population of internet users.

Or if you want to state your opinion for the world, then begin it with In my opinion.....

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by Skippy25:

said by fifty nine:

Can we fix this and say "fifty nine doesnt really need more than about 10Mbps anyway"?

That would be the correct way to post your personal need instead of trying to state fact for the greater population of internet users.

Or if you want to state your opinion for the world, then begin it with In my opinion.....

No, most home users don't need more than 10Mbps today. This doesn't represent tech geeks on DSLR who "need" gigabit connections.

The most popular cable package here is 10Mbps. The cable co offers up to 100. Most people choose 10 or lower. Why? It's not worth the money. Sure if we were all getting gigabit for $40/month most people would get it, provided the lower packages weren't much less.

For most people, "internet" means facebook, e-mail, websurfing and netflix. You can even do that on a 5Mbps connection.

My own home connection is 50Mbps btw, I have a gigabit connection at work and I really don't notice the difference unless I'm transferring large files which doesn't happen often.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

It sounds like your cable franchise is Comcast, and speed is indeed largely irrelevant when usage is capped. But that's not real internet service.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

1 recommendation

Sammer to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Just makes it even more impractical, and turns this from "Why?" into "WTF?"

Maybe not today but what about in the near future. There are some medical applications being developed that are going to use a lot of bandwidth. It's going to be hard to say it's not needed when it could save your life.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to fifty nine

to fifty nine
Oye, 10Mbps? REALLY?
I guess it depends on how many people are using that single connection. I'd say 16Mbps would be the more reasonable number.
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to fifty nine

to fifty nine
Heh, Comcast doesn't offer 10Mbps in DC anymore. I think they start at either 12Mbps or 16Mbps... I think the previous poster responding to you was correct.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
the internet wasn't built for "most people". it was built for engineers, by engineers.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

said by fifty nine:

OK.

IMO,
Most people are dumber than a box of rocks and/or have no life!!

10Mbps might a little low to say that's good enough for everyone, but most faster speeds are only needed for home users that are like I just said above, dumber than a box of rocks, have no life and/or common sense!!

Just like the person being discussed in the article though, dumber than a box of rocks!! If the person being discussed doesn't run/own IBM or some such company, this is all about stupidity/greed/lack of common sense or just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame!
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Much better. Thank you.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to cork1958

to cork1958
said by cork1958:

OK.

IMO,
Most people are dumber than a box of rocks and/or have no life!!

10Mbps might a little low to say that's good enough for everyone, but most faster speeds are only needed for home users that are like I just said above, dumber than a box of rocks, have no life and/or common sense!!

Just like the person being discussed in the article though, dumber than a box of rocks!! If the person being discussed doesn't run/own IBM or some such company, this is all about stupidity/greed/lack of common sense or just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame!

Wow you are pretty damn rude. There are tons of things that you can do with a high speed connection. You ever tried to stream non-recompressed bluray rips over your 10 megabit connection with its 1mbit upload? I have friends family that stream things off me and I can handle several connections at once even with the highest bit-rate video.

What if you want to give back to the community by seeding torrents (not talking about just copyrighted content ones).

Also i have been giving some thought of now with the bandwidth I have of starting a business as I also happen to have a 48U rack that is only about half full right now and 150TB of disk space in it.