Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken

Re: [Rant] KFC's "sweet" corn

said by Ken:

said by 19579823:

ITS REGULAR CORN!!

I seriously doubt that it was regular corn, humans typically don't eat regular corn, we only eat sweet corn.

also did you know that most corn grown now isn't edible till it's processed?

watch King of corn sometime.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by Ken:

said by 19579823:

ITS REGULAR CORN!!

I seriously doubt that it was regular corn, humans typically don't eat regular corn, we only eat sweet corn.

also did you know that most corn grown now isn't edible till it's processed?

watch King of corn sometime.

What do you mean it isn't edible until processed? I always eat corn on the cob raw with no butter/extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper on it. I eat it plain and raw. It tastes much better raw (raw foods are really good for you anyway).

What is "sweet corn"? I have never heard that phrase used before. I eat corn on the cob and that is how it is described ....not described as "regular" vs "sweet". It is just fresh, just picked corn on the cob. I don't ever eat frozen or canned corn on or off the cob. I don't eat corn much anymore because most "fresh" corn is not fresh and has lost all nutritional value of which it didn't have much to begin with. (You check by piercing a kernel to see if the fluid runs clear or milky. If milky it is fresh. Also check the tassel, it should be silky and light colored. Never remove the husk until ready to cook and don't buy corn that has the husk removed or that has been in sunlight after being picked). It won't harm you if not fresh and will probably still taste good (but not sweet) but it has lost nutritional value. What will hurt you is that even organic corn on the cob has probably been affected by the GMO's in the regular (non organic) corn.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

thegeek

Premium Member

well if you're from HI we don't expect you to know the differences between the types of corn. sweet corn is the kind you eat. pop corn you also eat but you pop it first.

field (sometimes called dent corn) you eat in an indirect way as it is used to make syrups and starches and HFCS and shit loads more things. many plastic containers that delis use are made from corn based plastics. you can even buy clothing made from corn. field corn is also used for ethanol and as livestock feed.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Considering that it was Mosanto HERE IN HAWAII that created the first GMO corn I doubt that Hawaii residents don't know about the different types of corn as it has been a subject of great political controversy. Companies like Mosanto have ruined much of our local food supply and have, just as predicted, contaminated the soil of organic farms. I have just never heard of "sweet corn" vs "corn". All fresh, edible corn is "sweet". Soaking fresh corn in a "sweet sauce" so that it is "more" sweet sounds awful to me.

Besides, I grew up on the Mainland. We had a huge garden every year with lots of rows of corn (I almost amputated my big toe when about 8 years old hoeing the soil but that was to plant red radishes and I guess I mistook my toe for a radish). The best way to eat corn is to go into a row of it and pick a ripe stalk of corn, shuck it right there and devour it before even getting out of the row. I guarantee it won't need any "sweet sauce".

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

there is most definitely a difference in field corn and sweet corn. i have no fucking clue what the other person is talking about with sweet sauce.

i highly doubt you ever grew field corn in your garden. you do not want to eat field corn. it is gross. you can easily identify field corn because it is much drier, has a dent in the top of the kernel, and takes longer to grow.

History Channel's series Modern Marvels did an excellent episode on corn once. Here is a youtube video of it. It's worth watching.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· HgpPycmQ

and the best sweet corn is grown in iowa btw.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

What do you mean it isn't edible until processed? I always eat corn on the cob raw with no butter/extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper on it. I eat it plain and raw. It tastes much better raw (raw foods are really good for you anyway).

thats a different type of corn than what is mostly grown now. Please watch king of corn it dives into it far more.

90% of corn grown these days tastes like sawdust and is only ment for being made into HFCS and the like.

Dent corn has been altered to make it provide more corn per land so that they can get more but the drawback is that the outer part is so thick that the human body can't digest it.

Sweet corn on the other hand has a thinner wall and higher starch content but the drawback is sweet corn has to be kept cold or it'll go bad.

technicaly sweet corn is better for making ethanol than dent corn but the US grows mostly dent corn.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil

Premium Member

Mele20 went off half cocked, again? Oh, that Mele20!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No. I was very logical. Why would we be having a conversation about inedible forms of corn when the OP posted about some sauce on human edible corn at KFC? DarkLogix brought up an irrelevant side issue about inedible corn when that was not the subject of the thread and unnecessarily confused the issue. And why is edible corn called "sweet" corn by some of you? Corn is either human edible or not. It doesn't have the modifier "sweet" in front of the word corn. All human edible corn is "sweet" unless it is old enough that the sugars have turned to starch and that process begins immediately upon picking a stalk in the field. Thus, the modifier "sweet" is redundant and the amount of sweetness in a given stalk of edible corn depends on its age.

If what you buy in the grocery store doesn't seem sweet sometimes that is because you purchased old stalks. Never purchase stalks that have been shucked by the store and never shuck them yourself in the store. Keep the shuck sealed until you are ready to eat that ear or, at the very least, if you want to check one stalk before buying any to see how fresh it is and how free of worms, etc then replace the shuck around the ear after checking and leave it that way until you are ready to eat it. Store in the refrigerator with the shuck ON.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

dave

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

And why is edible corn called "sweet" corn by some of you?

Because that's the name for the stuff that's eaten on the cob. In order to discuss a thing and be understood, one must use the words that the majority use to describe that thing. Faute de mieux, the description of common usage is to be found in a dictionary. (Admittedly it has to be 'the dictionary of your choice').

Round here, though, one doesn't really need a dictionary, one merely needs to read the hand-written signs outside farm stands in summer.

Round here, also, in summer it is considered impossible by definition to buy fresh corn in any store.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I grew up in Arkansas and we didn't call it "sweet" corn. It was called "corn on the cob". In Hawaii, the one stand I know of just has the hand written sign "corn" if any sign...usually no sign and usually sold out by the time I am driving by. At the farmer's markets there are no signs either. If you walked up and said "I'd like to buy half a dozen ears of sweet corn" you would probably get the retort "As opposed to sour corn"? Usually, here, the only place you find fresh corn on the cob is in the stores. Safeway has had it three times this year already and so has my favorite local grocery. Plus, our largest health food store carries organic corn on the cob all year round but it is very expensive.