how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

Math Check

I am wondering where Karl is getting 450Mb/s combined and 130Mb/s upload as, using the other figures in the article here's how my math works:

(150*2)+(35*2)
=300+70
=370

For 70Mb/s upload and a combined total of 370Mb/s. This is a difference of 80Mb/s total, 60Mb/s of that difference comes from upload

450-370=80
130-70=60

--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2010, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N
ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

Re: Math Check

Verizon is lying about their upload speed. They're providing twice as much as advertised. :-)

So, yes, math is obviously wrong, but not our fault, and we won't blame Verizon for giving out much faster speeds, either. ;-)

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
As others have said. Actual speed people get on the 150/35 package is right around 155/75. I am not the only one, everyone who gets this package gets approximately these speeds. Even internally VZ and all the techs always refer to the package as 150/65 even though the upload is actually 75 megabits. I am getting just around 300 down and 150 up for a combined total of 450.

Getting that upload result on speedtests is another story though. The speedtest.net applet simply can't handle it. Even on 1000/1000 i rarely get above 100mbit on speedtest.net applet.
--
150/75 mbit Verizon FiOS connection FTW!
wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

alright, so it appears the numbers didn't add up because the package is actually faster than what is quoted in the article.
ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

I wish AT&T upload speeds on their BPON were reasonable

The 2:1 ratio makes sense, because that's what GPON is all about: 2.488Gbps downstream and 1.244Gbps upstream, shared with full overprovisioning support amongst 16, 32 or 64 users. Do you know the exact model and specifications of your very ONT? That said, it is indeed a bit weird that Verizon uses the old BPON 4:1 ratio when advertising their 2:1 GPON product, anyone knows why?

In the other camp, AT&T does not advertise their upload speeds at all, it would seem (probably such that it is not to be laughed at). However, throughout the industry, it is indicative that most often than not, the upload speeds depend on the technology used to provide the service.

I wonder if it can be argued in court that I'm expected to be getting 4.5Mbps on my 18Mbps package with AT&T U-verse that is provided through BPON 622/155 with a 32-way split max. I think it should be pretty clear that with a 4:1 constant ratio of download to upload in BPON, it's entirely unreasonable to only be receiving 1.4-something Mbps instead of the expected 4.5Mbps, which is less than 1/3rd of the speed one should receive!

I'm looking for a pro bono lawyer who would be interested in helping me bring such a litigation on AT&T California.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: I wish AT&T upload speeds on their BPON were reasonable

said by ConstantineM:

Do you know the exact model and specifications of your very ONT? That said, it is indeed a bit weird that Verizon uses the old BPON 4:1 ratio when advertising their 2:1 GPON product, anyone knows why?

I really have no clue why VZ would not advertise it for the faster speed it is. When it first came out it was briefly advertised as 150/65 instead of 150/35.

As for the model of ONT's I have and their specification yes I know this.

My older/original line is running off a Motorola SOHO ONT (1500GT). Specs are:

»www.motorola.com/web/Business/Pr···00GT.pdf
»www.motorola.com/web/Business/Pr···0707.pdf

Second ONT is a 1000GT4.

Here is the spec sheet of the GT2:

»www.motorola.com/web/Business/Pr···0GT2.pdf

I don't really see why VZ has any obligation to allow certain speeds on their network so I don't see how you would have a case for litigation against them though.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Re: I wish AT&T upload speeds on their BPON were reasonable

First, thanks for your educational responses to this and your original topic on the subject. It's nice to learn more about networking and "out of the box" thinking.

Would you please clarify some things for me?
said by houkouonchi :

You technically only get that fat pipe between you and that single remote server (cause you need bonding setup on both ends). But once you have the fat bonded pipe you can then route through it like any other VPN/router. Technically I could even bridge the interface with a real ethernet device and not do NAT and stuff like I am currently doing.

It appears by the above that to get the speeds you have, the following is required;

A connection from the remote colocated server to the internet that's faster than the links between the local and remote server endpoints.

The connection from the remote colo server is as fast as the one you have at your local location.

Is this correct?

In that case, the total cost would include that of the colo server with its pipes, and the infrastructure between the colo server and your home network, is this correct?

Also, are you using the colo server as a proxy?

Thanks again for posting your experience!

EG

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

speedtest.net applet can handle much more than 100 Mbit/s

You can't get more than 150 Mbit/s on speedtest.net because your connection isn't a true 300 Mbit/s connection.
--
The more I C, the less I see.