All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« It's not just cox
This is a sub-selection from Screw your caps Cox.

NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
reply to houkouonchi

Re: Screw your caps Cox.

Shouldn't you be able to use PfSense and achieve the same results (or better) without using a vpn to bond the two connections? I used to do this with Cable and it worked great I could download at ~60Mbit/s even over http.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by NiteSn0w:

Shouldn't you be able to use PfSense and achieve the same results (or better) without using a vpn to bond the two connections? I used to do this with Cable and it worked great I could download at ~60Mbit/s even over http.

I don't see how you can acheive this without help from the ISP or some sort of VPN. A remote server is not going to be ok with sending data for a single file to two different IP addresses.
--
150/75 mbit Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

the niTz
Premium
join:2004-07-05
Sahuarita, AZ

said by houkouonchi:

said by NiteSn0w:

I don't see how you can acheive this without help from the ISP or some sort of VPN. A remote server is not going to be ok with sending data for a single file to two different IP addresses.

it would be a round robin setup which would require multiple connections, theoretically when using threaded downloaders like idm each connection should connect through each pipe enabling the bonded effect (of course there's always a chance you'll go through the same pipe which is way you would choose a higher number of connections). i have done it and it works but a single connection will not benefit in this config.
--
01000111 01110010 01100101 01100101 01100011 01100101 00100000 01001111 01110111 01101110 01110011

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by the niTz:

said by houkouonchi:

said by NiteSn0w:

it would be a round robin setup which would require multiple connections, theoretically when using threaded downloaders like idm each connection should connect through each pipe enabling the bonded effect (of course there's always a chance you'll go through the same pipe which is way you would choose a higher number of connections). i have done it and it works but a single connection will not benefit in this config.

If you look at my thread I had wget tests (single threaded) going @ over 35 megabytes/sec.

You are correct that with *connection* based balancing (not bonding) this is true (and I do this as well). The round robin (rr-balance) I am using is not connection based its packet based. This is mode 0 if the linux 'bonding' driver. It can only be done at the physical layer link (layer 2) before TCP/IP is involved.

I am doing this via VPN wich encaspulates layer 2 over layer3 (in this case UDP). The downside of this setup is it does require sending the traffic over a remote server on a faster connection than your combined total (in my case a server in a DC @ 1000/1000mbit) so it uses the bandwidth over both ends. This is because the remote servers you are downloading off of need a single IP address it can send the full connection to.

You technically only get that fat pipe between you and that single remote server (cause you need bonding setup on both ends). But once you have the fat bonded pipe you can then route through it like any other VPN/router. Technically I could even bridge the interface with a real ethernet device and not do NAT and stuff like I am currently doing.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

the niTz
Premium
join:2004-07-05
Sahuarita, AZ

said by houkouonchi:

If you look at my thread I had wget tests (single threaded) going @ over 35 megabytes/sec.

You are correct that with *connection* based balancing (not bonding) this is true (and I do this as well). The round robin (rr-balance) I am using is not connection based its packet based. This is mode 0 if the linux 'bonding' driver. It can only be done at the physical layer link (layer 2) before TCP/IP is involved.

I am doing this via VPN wich encaspulates layer 2 over layer3 (in this case UDP). The downside of this setup is it does require sending the traffic over a remote server on a faster connection than your combined total (in my case a server in a DC @ 1000/1000mbit) so it uses the bandwidth over both ends. This is because the remote servers you are downloading off of need a single IP address it can send the full connection to.

You technically only get that fat pipe between you and that single remote server (cause you need bonding setup on both ends). But once you have the fat bonded pipe you can then route through it like any other VPN/router. Technically I could even bridge the interface with a real ethernet device and not do NAT and stuff like I am currently doing.

yea i understand (and am envious of your speed)
--
01000111 01110010 01100101 01100101 01100011 01100101 00100000 01001111 01110111 01101110 01110011

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by the niTz:

yea i understand (and am envious of your speed)

Oh I missed who you were quoting. Whups! Yeah I agree that the behavior would be like what you said with pfsense.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
reply to houkouonchi

I live in rural America where 10 down is unattainable. I would crawl thru glass to see your rig working one time.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside