All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« It's not just cox
This is a sub-selection from Screw your caps Cox.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to houkouonchi

Re: Screw your caps Cox.

said by houkouonchi:

I will take my FIOS thank you very much...

While you bonded 2 150mbit connections, it seems like most people are misreading this graph.
Speedtest.net tests speed using multi-threaded downloads. It downloads at least 4 files at once. However when you are watching streaming TV, there's only 1 thread/connection. So you won't go faster than 150mbit...Plus no TV stream offer such speeds, not even bluray.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
Not when you bond multiple VPN connections into one virtual interface. The way it works is his 'router' establishes one vpn connection over each fios connection to a server in a data center. Then you bond the two vpn connections into one virtual interface.
Then the round robin bonding driver evenly distributes the packets over the two interfaces.

You're thinking of non-bonded round-robin load balancing that most 'multi-wan' prosumer 'routers' do..

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
said by nickphx:

Not when you bond multiple VPN connections into one virtual interface. The way it works is his 'router' establishes one vpn connection over each fios connection to a server in a data center. Then you bond the two vpn connections into one virtual interface.
Then the round robin bonding driver evenly distributes the packets over the two interfaces.

But this is not what he has. His speedtest shows his ISP is verizon. if it was through this supposedly bonded vpn connection, his exit ip would be of that vpn service/server.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by MxxCon:

said by nickphx:

But this is not what he has. His speedtest shows his ISP is verizon. if it was through this supposedly bonded vpn connection, his exit ip would be of that vpn service/server.

Actually it is what I do and you are right. This is why I have a route entry that actually routes to speedtest.net over my FIOS connection (no bonding) for the main-page so it lists the correct ISP. If I didn't do this then you are correct. Its because speedtest.net itself figures out your ISP but you can be a completely different IP when connecting to the individual speedtest.net servers.
--
150/75 mbit Verizon FiOS connection FTW!