dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Re: How would I request the elimination of the touch-tone fee?

I doubt the CRTC would remove touch-tone fees just because you ask and even if that goes through, incumbents who charge it will demand an adjustment to the phone service fee to offset most of it. They will likely state that the TT fee is currently used to offset the loss in productivity factor on the copper plant from losing phone subscribers to wireless, VoIP and cable.

With plenty of options available, my guess is that the CRTC will say that if you really do not want to pay TT fee, you can switch to a different provider.
CR1239
join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC

CR1239

said by InvalidError:

incumbents who charge it will demand an adjustment to the phone service fee to offset most of it.

How many incumbents charge the touch-tone fee besides Bell? I know TELUS doesn't out west.

And I don't know about out in Ontario, but here, the non-forborne (regulated) areas tend to be more rural ones with no CLEC competition, so changing to another provider isn't possible.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by CR1239:

And I don't know about out in Ontario, but here, the non-forborne (regulated) areas tend to be more rural ones with no CLEC competition, so changing to another provider isn't possible.

VoIP is a contender wherever you can get reliable IP connectivity at more than 300kbps and many rural areas can also have cable phone and cellular.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

VoIP is a contender wherever you can get reliable IP connectivity

Not to worry, I am sure my buddy Mirko is working hard to convince CRTC to allow Bell to charge the touch tone fee on dry lines
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

When ISDN Megalink first came out, they charged what amounted to a Touch Tone fee on each B channel. It was priced at the same price as trunk line touch tone was priced - $10.70/month IIRC.

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Not to worry, I am sure my buddy Mirko is working hard to convince CRTC to allow Bell to charge the touch tone fee on dry lines

They will call this a dial tone fee

For the original OP, to be honest it far simpler to just go with VOIP services. It's cheaper and you have more services included.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to jfmezei

Anon

to jfmezei
Knowing Bell, their solution is probably to make IP connectivity unreliable - see DPI throttling as step 1. They weren't happy to see real time traffic outside of what they could legally throttle. :P
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

VoIP is a contender wherever you can get reliable IP connectivity at more than 300kbps and many rural areas can also have cable phone and cellular.

Key being wherever you can get reliable IP connectivity... not a whole lot of ISPs that come even close to meeting that requirement when compared to the reliability of POTS.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

Key being wherever you can get reliable IP connectivity... not a whole lot of ISPs that come even close to meeting that requirement when compared to the reliability of POTS.

This is an excellent point, and if I were Canadian what I would [really] be screaming at would be the poor quality of the ISP's overall.

The US lags behind many other countries in this, but this is one area in which Canada is even more behind.

Having said that, in the long run the Canadian ISP's will be getting better, while POTS will be getting worse.
InvalidError

InvalidError to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

Most ISPs and major incumbents are good enough in general, where things get dicey is when Xplorenet or similar are the only options in the area.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by InvalidError:

Most ISPs and major incumbents are good enough in general

Well "good enough" is not reliable.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to 34764170

Anon

to 34764170
>when compared to the reliability of POTS.

I remember my phone line was down for more than 48 hours and had to use pay phone to call them to fix it for a 2nd time in my school days.

So far other than a few of my ISP going out business/change hands, internet connectivity for last 10+ years has not been that bad yet.

In my case, I have a PAYGO phone, elevator emergency phone line, rental office, pay phone across the street etc as backups.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Ott_Cable :

So far other than a few of my ISP going out business/change hands, internet connectivity for last 10+ years has not been that bad yet.

You're very lucky, but that's not typical.
InvalidError

InvalidError to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

Well "good enough" is not reliable.

Most people who have VoIP for everyday calling also have cellphone as a backup when something goes wrong, so broadband "good enough" to make VoIP work when everything is working normally is good enough.

As far as emergency-worthiness "reliability" goes, I bet most people would reach for their cellphones before anything else anyhow since they are usually either worn on self or otherwise kept closer than traditional phones.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by InvalidError:

Most people who have VoIP for everyday calling also have cellphone as a backup when something goes wrong, so broadband "good enough" to make VoIP work when everything is working normally is good enough.

As far as emergency-worthiness "reliability" goes, I bet most people would reach for their cellphones before anything else anyhow since they are usually either worn on self or otherwise kept closer than traditional phones.

Which is a failure for VoIP.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by 34764170:

Which is a failure for VoIP.

It is a success as far as not having to pay touch-tone fee for the line you use for everyday calls goes.