how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

[ALL] Anyone else doing SamKnows with Cox?

Is there anyone else out there with Cox internet doing the Samknows thing?

I've had mine hooked up for about a month now.

I'll try to post the report card if I can figure out a way to link it otherwise I'll just post some screen shots.
--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
In case you are curious, it's a device they send you. It looks like a router except it is configured differently. It measures your network performance every hour or so and reports it up. You can then log into your account and see a dashboard with all kinds of information about your connection every hour. It also sends you a monthly report card like the one I took screenshots of.

»www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php
--

phxuser

join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ

HAD THE SK Netgear router for over a year now. The amount of bandwidth used for testing has decreased considerably probably due to concern on exceeding monthly caps.

»reporting.samknows.com/reportcar···64e655d8

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA
reply to digiblur

Thanks for sharing. Are they measuring the ISPs on bandwidth caps through this survey? If not, seems like they are missing a big part of the competitive equation.

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
reply to phxuser

said by phxuser:

HAD THE SK Netgear router for over a year now. The amount of bandwidth used for testing has decreased considerably probably due to concern on exceeding monthly caps.

»reporting.samknows.com/reportcar···64e655d8

I have the TP-Link gigabit model that is passive to the devices connected to it. It still uses about 1.5 to 1.7 gig of data a day though. I have a usage log per IP on my router to see the results.

Kinda of a lot if you ask me as that's 45 gig of my 200 gig cap. Thinking about disconnecting it due to this issue or maybe putting it on a timer and only run from 4pm-9pm or something.

And no, I don't think they track the caps.
--

phxuser

Scottsdale, AZ

Thought the testing bandwidth usage would be a problem but its not for me. Router says I am using a third more data than Cox internet tools reports.

I would check your Cox reported usage versus your router stats and see if they are in synch. Maybe some of the testing is not being counted or can't be counted by Cox.

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA

The under reporting likely has something to do with the fact the COX meter is broken as confirmed by the COX Data Usage Allowances FAQ. Excerpt below.

"We are aware of some situations where the meter is under-reporting usage and your meter may actually reflect less data usage than used by your household. This is a known issue and we are working to resolve this in the future."

And by "..resolve this in the future." I'm sure COX means they plan to fix right before implementing usage based billing.

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
reply to phxuser

said by phxuser:

Thought the testing bandwidth usage would be a problem but its not for me. Router says I am using a third more data than Cox internet tools reports.

I would check your Cox reported usage versus your router stats and see if they are in synch. Maybe some of the testing is not being counted or can't be counted by Cox.

It is counted, I can see it everyday on my chart. It's usually pretty close to my own stats everyday.

Cox would have to count it, that's the whole point of the test. Cox isn't supposed to know where the box is connecting to test. If they did, they could make sure it gets to those sites all the time as fast as possible. Although, I do bet Cox knows exactly where this box connects to.
--

phxuser

Scottsdale, AZ

I don't really think Samknows is trying to hide who is testing from the ISP's.
SamKnows validates your speed tier with Cox before they send you the whitebox. Recent FCC documents on the project show that ISP's are providing some of the test sites for the project (Cox is providing 2 sites for testing).

As far as your bandwidth usage....different testing devices (Netgear vs TPlink) and different Cox markets.....if my usage gets close to my caps they have lost a volunteer but they have gotten over a year of data in the process.