how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

firstdan

join:2010-05-15
Sherman Oaks, CA

help configuring pace 4111n modem

Just got a Pace 4111n modem/router and I have tried everything I know and it still will not work. I was using a 2 wire 2701hg-b but I want to upgrade to 802.11n so I bought a pace. I have tried to copy the exact setting from the 2wire but still nothing works. I have set VPI=0 VCI=35, ATM Encapsulation=Bridge LLC, ATM PVC Search=Enable, DSL Standard=Auto. Connection Type= Direct IP (DHCP or Static). IP Addressing and DNS INFO are set to auto. Under the Diagnostics section it says it "Could not find an ATM circuit" I know the pace modem is made by 2wire but I do not know why it will not work or if it is even compatible although every other 2wire from AT&T has worked for me with DSL Extreme. I'm running win 7 pro and the little network icon shows as though I am connected but I cannot navigate to any page. Any help would be really appreciated.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:27

Can't say that I'm particularly familiar with that model; seems to only be sold by AT&T, intended for use with their own service. I checked with them and they claim that it's not locked, so it SHOULD be working for our service if all of the settings are identical to what the previous 2wire was using.

I'm assuming the previous 2wire is working when you plug it into the same location? (Assuming that you're using it to type up that post, for that matter)

Note that the network icon in your system tray is probably reporting your connectivity to your local wireless home network, which doesn't necessarily mean you have internet access (you could share files between computers at home, or print wirelessly, but that's about it).

It's possible the Pace is just malfunctioning, plain and simple. Send me a PM with your account info and I'll have a tech give you a call to help test it.

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA

Thanks Nick. Sent you a IM look foreword to haring from a tech.

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to dslx_nick

Sorry I was unable to answer your call but I got your message. I spoke to an AT&T tech and after some time he told me that the key code 522P-22P4-6262-22AT-F2NV cannot be changed and similar key codes are on all their Pace 4111n models but that it should not keep me from being able to use the modem/router. Tried »gateway.2wire.net/setup but it did not work either. Not sure where to go from here. It seem that the compatibility question about this model is still unanswered. Thanks again for your help.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

The pace 4111n will work with dslx dsl, you should connect the 2701hg-b to the dsl line if the 2701hg-b also gives the "Could not find an ATM circuit" error message your isp needs to work on the dslam

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

The 2701hg-b was working fine, as I understood it. I'm thus suspecting that particular Pace of perhaps being damaged... was it refurbished? Also feel free to try both Bridge and Routed Bridge, either should work for your connection.

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to wayjac

The 2wire 2701hg-b works flawlessly. Too bad it doesn't have 802.11n. Then I would be set.

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to dslx_nick

The Pace is brand new. My understanding is that the Pace is made by 2wire.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to firstdan

Pace purchased 2wire about a year ago

If the 2701hg-b works then the pace 4111n is faulty

You can use any n wifi router with the 2701hg-b even the pace you just need to make some simple configuration changes to the wifi router

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA

I like the modem/router combo as I live in a apartment and space is very very limited. Not to mention having an extra set of wires to route. I think maybe I will exchange for new one and try again.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

It's a new device you must get a warranty replacement, if you purchased from the att equipment store the netgear 7550 has n wifi

Would you post some pictures of the pace configuration pages

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

1 recommendation

SOLVED. At least for practical intents and purposes. As a bit of an informational update for anyone else running into a similar problem and stumbling upon this courtesy of Google or forum search...

The activation key code 522P-22P4-6262-22AT-F2NV (which IS locked into the unit and cannot be changed!) is for PPPoE mode.

Firstdan's account with us was DHCP. He had set the modem to Direct IP (DHCP), as per his previous, successful connections with his 2wire 2701hg-b, but his Pace modem still wouldn't pull down an IP.

Changing nothing else, we went into the Pace modem and changed it from Direct IP (DHCP) to PPPoE, and entered username and password. I then changed the connection settings on DSL Extreme's side to use PPPoE protocol instead of DHCP. He was able to connect.

Moral of the story: even if AT&T swears that the modem is not locked.. if the activation key code is locked and cannot be changed, you may be forced to use that particular protocol (PPPoE vs. DHCP), even if the apparently configurable settings would have you believe otherwise.

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to wayjac

Click for full size
Hope I did this right.

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA

Click for full size
Click for full size
some more pick's. Let me know if you want to see anything specific.

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to dslx_nick

Now the questions that remain are is it just a malfunction in my Pace or is it a design flaw that has not been caught yet because the modem is too new to the market? Maybe this can be address with a firmware update? Thanks again Nick for taking the time to help me. You don't get customer service like that from any other DSL company!

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to firstdan

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here is the site map. OK I'm done

firstdan

Sherman Oaks, CA
reply to wayjac

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here you go.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to firstdan

said by firstdan:

You don't get customer service like that from any other DSL company!

I agree with that comment
Thanks for posting the pictures