uniqs
share rss forum feed

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

2 edits

[XPHome] How to stop scrolling video on a web page?

XP home and IE7....

I also use Simple Adblock

Many webpages seem to take longer and longer to load..I don't use Twitter or Facebook but yet when I open many webpages I see down in the left hand corner of my screen while I am waiting for the webpage to load it says things like

Waiting for or downloading..."Platform.Twitter"

and also

"Facebook" ( but it goes by so fast I can't say exactly what it says but it does include Facebook

Also see things like "Ad Yieldmanager"

and then after the page finally loads I will see something that says..."Done..but with Errors"

But the most annoying thing is on some websites they automatically have scrolling across the top of the page..and I don't know how to stop it or freeze it to prevent the annoying scrolling across constantly while I am trying to read an article.

Also please take a look at the NY Post home page which I use daily. If you scroll down a bit on the right hand side you will see where it says Videos ( see screenshot ) and as I am reading an article the screen keeps scrolling across showing the different video topics available. Extremely distracting and annoying to me. No video actually plays but the every few seconds of the changing of the videos scrolling across is what distracts me.

I have disabled Flash but yet they keep scrolling across...

Is there any setting I can make or change in IE7 to stop both the scrolling of headlines and also to stop that annoying video movement on the NY Post website?

And anything I can do to stop my pages from taking extra time to load in order to prevent that downloading of twitter platform? and facebook whatever it is downloading?

My computer/tech knowledge is extremely limited so figured I would ask here to help...I don't wish to use another browser other then IE unless I absolutely have to in order to have web pages load fast like they use to.

Thanks

»www.nypost.com

where that video scrolling is down a bit on the right.

EDIT Also want to mention that I have both boxes CHECKED in settings where it says Disable Script Debugging..both in IE and in other. I unchecked them to see if that helped but it didn't so I went back and checked them.

Also, I have Play Animations disabled as well but yet that video box on the NY Post homepage keeps scrolling across every few seconds showing the different videos that are available to watch

maubs

join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL

I don't know of any reliable script-stopping addon for IE at all. I would suggest using FireFox and NoScripts or Chrome and NotScripts.

sailor
Premium
Long Island

I will try one of them if no other solution for IE comes up...thanks!

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to sailor

This could be a networking issue with your ISP, too, or a setting on your computer. You shouldn't use IE as a browser anyway so switching to FF or Chrome, as maubs suggests, will bring you into this century.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to sailor

News scrolling area on Yahoo.com
said by sailor:

Also please take a look at the NY Post home page which I use daily. If you scroll down a bit on the right hand side you will see where it says Videos ( see screenshot ) and as I am reading an article the screen keeps scrolling across showing the different video topics available. Extremely distracting and annoying to me. No video actually plays but the every few seconds of the changing of the videos scrolling across is what distracts me.

I have disabled Flash but yet they keep scrolling across...

Is there any setting I can make or change in IE7 to stop both the scrolling of headlines and also to stop that annoying video movement on the NY Post website?

I think you may be out of luck on this one. I know quite a few websites that do this...the news stories on AOL.com and Yahoo.com will show a "preview" of a news article..its on the screen for like 10 seconds or something, and then it will move to the next story. The "Intent" (at least IMHO) is that if you see something you want to read more about, you will click on it, and then it will take you to the full story.

Its more like a preview then anything. I don't think it was designed to have you read the full article, or watch the full video on that screen.

The one on yahoo is posted for you to see. Now, in yahoo's case, they give you buttons to somewhat control the action (forward, reverse, and stop). I believe it is up to whoever wrote the code for a given webpage if they give that kind of control to the end users.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to sailor

I was hoping there was some sort of IE work around. But in reading the helpful replies it appears if I want to continue to keep using the internet as hassle free as possible its best time I looked into another browser such as Chrome or FireFox and No Scripts.

Thanks everyone!