Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sneezy

join:2012-04-03
Calgary, AB

[AB] Shaw WiFi Modem - Bridged Mode

Hello everyone,

Long-time reader, first-time poster. I know there have been many discussions about setting up the new(ish) Shaw WiFi Modems in bridged mode, to use in conjunction with your own router...

However, I did want to post my results in case it can be of help to others (or maybe even have it sticky'd)

In short, there are two methods to achieve bridged-mode-use with the Shaw WiFi router, as outlined below:

1. This is the simpler method. Simply logon to your Shaw online account via their website (or call them) and request your modem to be used in bridged mode. They will notify you that this has to be done on their end. They simply change a code on their back-end that results in your modem to reboot and download a new firmware. Upon completion, your modem will now only act as a modem. Voila! I completed the above process with a Shaw CSR in under 5 minutes.

** Please note that with this method, you will lose the modem's GUI access via '192.168.0.1' **

------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The round-about way of achieving the same result, is by connecting your Shaw WiFi modem to your existing router. However, there is some setup to be done.

Firstly, you must set your router outside the scope of the modem's IP range. For example have the modem work on '192.168.0.1' and the router set to '192.168.1.1'. This is important, because D-Link routers primarily use the same destination IP as the modem which can result in conflicts.

Once this is completed, your pre-existing router should be able to obtain an IP address from the modem. However, there are some settings to disable in the Shaw WiFi modem. I went ahead and disabled the modem's WIFI capabilities altogether, when I was using this method. I also set my router's IP address in a DMZ within the modem's GUI. This way, the router is exposed to all incoming ports, allowing conflict-free policies from the router's settings pages.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I will not go into further detail for method two, simply because method one is definitely the better solution. I did gain a noticeable speed boost upon converting to method one. Most likely due to off-loading some of the network's processing/re-routing times, by eliminating Shaw's local routing altogether.

Again, I apologize if the above has already been outlined elsewhere, (I am certain it has) but figured it may be of use to some of you out there

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

Firstly: Thanks Sneezy for a great post. We should get it stickied.

Secondly:
I'd like to define that Method #2 above is not technically 'bridge mode' as the Modem-all-in-one-eRouter combo unit is still routing (aka forwarding), it is not bridging. It is still doing firewall and NAT work.

Also you will be jumping through NAT twice which could cause issues, once on the modem and once on your personal-router.

Method #1 will be preferred as the modem will actually bridge traffic past the router, and the router and wifi functions are essentially (see: as good as) disabled.

I don't see any pros to method #2. It would be a last-ditch choice if method #1 was not available, but it is.

Sneezy

join:2012-04-03
Calgary, AB

Thank you for the clarifications, ravenchilde.

Yes, you are definitely correct about the double-NAT issues etc. When I was using method 2, I disabled as many settings as possible in the modem, to ensure the most direct connection.

Furthermore, I was an early-adopter of Shaw's WIFI modems, and at the time, they would not set up the modem in bridged-mode despite numerous requests. Perhaps the CSRs I had spoken with back then, were unsure of the process, which has now clearly been resolved. This was the main reason why I had to resort to option 2.

Also, I think method 2 is still a necessity for some, as they maybe living in a multi-dwelling residence where a single internet connection is shared amongst tenants. Not being the primary account holder, they would be barred from modifications and would not be able to contact Shaw, without express permission of the account-holder. Figured it would not hurt to provide details, despite the obviously inferior method, for those that may not have another option.

Hopefully it gets stickied!

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Sneezy

Adding in a second router to the Cisco will work, however I've seen performance gains after having Shaw load the modem only firmware. Speeds improved significantly. I would imagine that there is simply less load on the box itself. I would highly suggest turning the Cisco into bridge and using your own router. All in one units just aren't where they need to be, even with Telus and the Actiontec.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to Sneezy

All-in-ones are useless, because there's a wide range of routers and capabilities. Why can Future Shop or Best Buy have $20 routers and $200 routers?

Think about that, then figure out how much Shaw would spend on CPE (customer premises equipment). Then scale it with how much the router part would be. And a lot of what determines how good a router is is the internal hardware - CPU (how fast packets can be tossed about), RAM (how many connections can be maintained and other housekeeping), flash (what OS is used - good routers run Linux which has excellent networking capabilities but takes more storage space, crappy ones use an RTOS with lame network stack, but take much less storage).

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

That and the amount of features in even the Cisco gateway modem has, but Shaw has hidden/disabled from viewing.

The actual manual from Cisco, some of the features are very nice, but missing from the Shaw's cusadmin login.

This bugs me more than anything, I would be much much happier with the modem in Gateway mode, if I could get the msoadmin or just admin login.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.