to EG

Re: New speed for some areas- not so new for some others

said by EG:

said by Mike Wolf:

For those with routers:

3) Unplug the modem from the outlet
4) Plug the modem back in

To add. For those with eMTA's.
Use the recessed reset button on the rear to properly reset/powercycle the device rather than unplugging from the A.C. power source.

I'm sometimes afraid to use the "recessed reset button" on some devices, as it sometimes causes a total "factory-state" reset of the device, with the current configuration/settings being lost then.

I know on the Moto SB612X modem's web interface, there are 2 sets of reset buttons like that - one's just a reboot, the other causes a reset to its initial factory state.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

There is nothing to "worry about" if it is a straight eMTA and not a combo gateway device. There is nothing that is user configurable in a bridge modem/eMTA anyway. It will re-learn all of the needed connection "parameters" from the system in fairly short order.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
well on the SB612x models I've used both web reset buttons and one just clears the logs while the other actually restarts the modem, but neither kills the modem requiring Comcast to reprovision it

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

well on the SB612x models I've used both web reset buttons and one just clears the logs while the other actually restarts the modem, but neither kills the modem requiring Comcast to reprovision it

The one button does have a warning that clicking it will reset it to factory defaults, but I guess once it re-connects with the CMTS, it probably gets the proper (Comcast-certified) firmware and configuration files downloaded to it.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I do notice the warning but it doesn't delete the firmware and the configuration file doesn't get redownloaded since the total process from button press to web browsing is 30 seconds and generally the configuration process when the modem is being programmed takes longer. I think all the web reset button does is cause the modem to turn off and turn back on like what would happen when the power is unplugged and plugged back in since they both take 30 seconds.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

I do notice the warning but it doesn't delete the firmware and the configuration file doesn't get redownloaded since the total process from button press to web browsing is 30 seconds and generally the configuration process when the modem is being programmed takes longer. I think all the web reset button does is cause the modem to turn off and turn back on like what would happen when the power is unplugged and plugged back in since they both take 30 seconds.

Yes, that's what happens when I click on the "regular" web reset button, to just reboot the modem.

I'll have to check again, when I'm home tonight, how the other reset botton is labeled.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by Mike Wolf:

Yes, that's what happens when I click on the "regular" web reset button, to just reboot the modem.

I'll have to check again, when I'm home tonight, how the other reset botton is labeled.

OK, I found the SB6121 modem manual online: »www.motorola.com/staticf ··· 01-a.pdf

On page 15 (page 21 of the PDF file) it says:

"Restoring Your Modem Settings

You can reset your SB6121 modem configuration to the factory default settings.

1. Select Configuration from the menu bar.

2. Click Reset All Defaults.

WARNING: This will delete your existing modem configuration settings."

The other button I normally use to just reboot the modem is labeled "Restart Cable Modem."
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

said by Mike Wolf:

I do notice the warning but it doesn't delete the firmware and the configuration file doesn't get redownloaded ...

OK, I found the SB6121 modem manual online: »www.motorola.com/staticf ··· 01-a.pdf

On page 15 (page 21 of the PDF file) it says:

"Restoring Your Modem Settings

You can reset your SB6121 modem configuration to the factory default settings.

1. Select Configuration from the menu bar.

2. Click Reset All Defaults.

WARNING: This will delete your existing modem configuration settings."

The other button I normally use to just reboot the modem is labeled "Restart Cable Modem."

OK, here's the note that's under the "Reset All Defaults" button:

"Note:
Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations. The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes. Please reference the cable modem User Guide for details on the power up sequence."

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

EG

Premium Member

Much Ado about nothing..

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by EG:

Much Ado about nothing..

Well, just that this is what I was referring to when I had said earlier:
said by telcodad:

said by EG:

To add. For those with eMTA's.
Use the recessed reset button on the rear to properly reset/powercycle the device rather than unplugging from the A.C. power source.

I'm sometimes afraid to use the "recessed reset button" on some devices, as it sometimes causes a total "factory-state" reset of the device, with the current configuration/settings being lost then.

I know on the Moto SB612X modem's web interface, there are 2 sets of reset buttons like that - one's just a reboot, the other causes a reset to its initial factory state.

So, I'm not always sure what a "recessed" reset button will do - just a reboot or a "reset to factory defaults."

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

So, I'm not always sure what a "recessed" reset button will do - just a reboot or a "reset to factory defaults."

Depending on the particular device, the length that the button is held in may do two different things. RTFM for details.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by EG:

said by telcodad:

Depending on the particular device, the length that the button is held in may do two different things. RTFM for details.

Unfortunately, that's the thing with engineers like me, only "when all else fails, [do we] RTFM!"

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
that IS what it says, and yes it does say it would take 5 to 30 minutes, but in my personal experience it takes 30 seconds. Maybe the firmware that Comcast puts on these modems when they are first activated on our accounts changes the behavor of what the buttons actually do?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Yes, that's what happens when I click on the "Restart Cable Modem" button, just a quick ~30 second reboot of the modem.

I've never tried clicking on the "Reset All Defaults" one, which that particular note applies to.

I wonder if the original, factory version of the modem firmware is restored (from ROM?) then? With the SB6121 model, that would actually be a newer (but Comcast uncertified) version than what is downloaded by the CMTS once it reconnects.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

in my experience all it does is blank out the log. I mean I literally just did it while I was typing this and I'm still online.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

OK, that's interesting then.

Thanks for being our resident Moto SB6121 tester!

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

I wonder if the original, factory version of the modem firmware is restored (from ROM?) then?

No. It's not.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by EG:

said by telcodad:

I wonder if the original, factory version of the modem firmware is restored (from ROM?) then?

No. It's not.

OK, then the current F/W version remains active in the modem.

So then, the only way to change the F/W is to have the CMTS "update" it when it (re)connects?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by EG:

said by telcodad:

No. It's not.

OK, then the current F/W version remains active in the modem.

So then, the only way to change the F/W is to have the CMTS "update" it when it (re)connects?

The only way to update the firmware on any DOCSIS compliant modem is via the CMTS. Even if you could find a way to do it manually yourself, the ISP would automatically install their approved version very soon after the modem connected to their network.

Unlike telco DSL technology where you might (depending on the brand/model of the DSL modem) be able to disable TR-069 and other ISP remote maintenance access (and install/keep whatever firmware version you like in your DSL modem), that is not the case with DOCSIS cable modems.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by NetFixer:

Even if you could find a way to do it manually yourself, the ISP would automatically install their approved version very soon after the modem connected to their network.

Yes, that's why the newer F/W version that the Moto SB6121 ships with is "updated" to the older, Comcast tested and certified version.

When that F/W update-to-a-certified-version procedure doesn't go smoothly, you get problems like this one: »[IPv6] Comcast Pulls Back On IPv6 Rollout

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by NetFixer:

Even if you could find a way to do it manually yourself, the ISP would automatically install their approved version very soon after the modem connected to their network.

Yes, that's why the newer F/W version that the Moto SB6121 ships with is "updated" to the older, Comcast tested and certified version.

When that F/W update-to-a-certified-version procedure doesn't go smoothly, you get problems like this one: »[IPv6] Comcast Pulls Back On IPv6 Rollout

It goes with the territory. I have also seen AT&T DSL modem firmware updates (for customers foolish enough to not disable AT&T's access to their modems) brick DSL modems. I have also seen AT&T make changes to their PPPoE protocol that would prevent some modems and routers from working on their network anymore. What's your point?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
The new firmware.

»Re: Motorola SB6120

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by telcodad:

said by NetFixer:

It goes with the territory. I have also seen AT&T DSL modem firmware updates (for customers foolish enough to not disable AT&T's access to their modems) brick DSL modems. I have also seen AT&T make changes to their PPPoE protocol that would prevent some modems and routers from working on their network anymore. What's your point?

I'm afraid I wasn't clear - I meant that if the CMTS didn't "enforce" having the modems getting the latest, ISP tested and certified version of the firmware, then you can have problems, like what's happening in that IPv6 case.

In that case, the updating process did not go smoothly, as the that Netgear model modem managed to connect, in the new IPv6 mode with the CMTS, and started doing some some things that caused a problem, before the CMTS could update it with the "certified" version of firmware.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro

1 edit

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

If you really want to hash over the IPv6 problem with the Netgear modem (again), you should open another thread since that has nothing to do with this thread.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by NetFixer:

If you really want to hash over the IPv6 problem with the Netgear modem (again), you should open another thread since that has nothing to do with this thread.

No, I was just using that IPv6 thread (of mine) to provide an example of what can happen if Comcast didn't keep tight control of what modem firmware versions are used on its network.

Sometimes posters here look at the firmware version/date displayed by their modem and ask "why didn't Comcast leave on it the newer version of firmware that it came with?"

OK, end of discussion!