share rss forum feed

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to kenhuman3

Re: [Modem] DSL Losing Sync

Can you post the info on lines 140 thru 148 they are on the technician readout page

kenhuman3

join:2012-04-03
Rx Tx
140 Current Rate 3552 256
141 Previous Rate 0 0
142 DSL Max Rate 4216 352
144 Current ATTN DR 8000 288
145 Current SNRM 16.0 9.0
146 Current LATN 45.5 26.5
147 Current SATN - -
148 Current TP 12.8 0.0

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
What is the condition of the lights on the modem when it has a loss of sync

kenhuman3

Power is steady green
Ethernet blinks periodically (green)
DSL blinks rapidly (red)
Internet is solid red
Activity is off

After a few moments,
Power remains steady green
Ethernet continues to blink periodically (green)
DSL blinks rapidly (green)
Internet and activity are both off

DSL will then become steady green, Internet will blink green and become steady, and activity will blink periodically.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
When the dsl light is not solid green that indicates a loss of dsl sync, lowering the dsl speed may yield more sync stability

kenhuman3

I was just told that there is static on the voice line as well that wasn't there before this started. A couple of months ago, the phone line was cut when the pasture it ran across was being tilled, it was apparently only buried an inch or two. I'm told that after a couple of days of calling AT&T to get the problem fixed, they were unwilling to come out and fix it. A couple of the guys here ran outside rated cat 5e from the box outside to the nid on the building to fix it. I inspected that line (it's not buried) visually and with a tdr and found no faults, but telecom isn't my thing so I can't be sure.

I'd like to try to rule out this cabling job as the cause by checking for static at the box outside, not the nid. I'm not sure about the proper terminology, but when I was younger we had a phone with alligator clips that we called a beige box that seems like it'd work here. As I'm older now, I'm more concerned about whether that'd be legal or not. This is a very rural area and the only pair of wires connected to that punch block is our own, so I can't see it causing any harm. Any advice on how to proceed?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
If you can hear static on a telephone that static can degrade the dsl signal

If there is a nid do it there
The nid is where your inside wiring starts and the telephone company wiring ends
It's not illegal to use the beige box