Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to CanadianRip

Re: [Rant] Gas prices jumping big time tonight

Look at their traveling distances, though. There are many local shops for everything.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to peterboro
Which is why high gas prices are not entirely a bad thing. It's just that they're high for the wrong reasons and the money going to the wrong places.
--
"The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be." -- Konrad Lorenz

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I got back from Daytona a couple weeks ago where the roads were filled with SUVs and all manner of gas guzzlers.

Forget prying guns from their cold dead hands it will be the keys to their behemoth vehicles.

I know, it's hilarious. Gotta have that big V8, even if you never use it. For anything.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to elwoodblues
I always chuckle when people go line up to buy gas because the price is going to jump a few cents the next day. You're only postponing the inevitable by a few days to a week maybe. It's not like mortgage rates are going up, or something that could mean $K of savings over the years.

I'm amazed at the line-ups at Costco when there's nobody at the pumps at the station down the road with 1 cent more expensive gas. Even if I put 50L in the car, is it worth a half buck to wait in line?

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to Wolfie00
Please. That's like saying you don't eat grocery flyers. Surely you can distinguish between the product sold and the manner of its sale.

Prices went up last May to this level, there was a big hooha, and then they fell again, just like they will this time. There are some short term gasoline supply problems right now that will correct themselves in the next month or so.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Short term supply problems? I don't think so.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to AR
said by AR:

Gas is under $4/gal in US

Heh, just just barely, if you consider $3.999 'below' $4

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

Spend time in Europe. If gas was anywhere near $ 1.50 a litre - they'd line up for days.

Yes, and they also have extensive mass transit and railway networks that are a viable alternative to driving that does not exist in North America. Their gas may be expensive, but you aren't dependant on it like you are here.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
said by Gone:

Yes, and they also have extensive mass transit and railway networks that are a viable alternative to driving that does not exist in North America. Their gas may be expensive, but you aren't dependant on it like you are here.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

And if anyone wants to argue that Europe can afford to do mass transit because of higher population densities, I invite them to spend part of any afternoon on the 401 over the top of Toronto or on the DVP. Canada, for all its open spaces, is a highly urbanized population and the vast majority of our gasoline demand and pollution comes from population-dense urban areas where public transit is not only a very practical alternative, but in many cases is already well developed.

alamarco
Premium
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON
said by Wolfie00:

Canada, for all its open spaces, is a highly urbanized population and the vast majority of our gasoline demand and pollution comes from population-dense urban areas where public transit is not only a very practical alternative, but in many cases is already well developed.

In big cities like Toronto, sure. In smaller communities good luck labeling public transit as a practical alternative.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Wolfie00
As much as I would like to digress that Toronto is not the centre of the universe, I'll just say this - even "rural" areas in Europe are not rural in comparison to North America when it comes to transit connections with larger centres. There is plenty of high speed rail between major cities with lower-speed rail connecting those high-speed hub points to the small and medium sized towns. The smallest of towns have some form of local transit, and a cities the size of Peterborough and Kingston have at the very least tram networks, if not outright subway systems. The transit systems the large European cities have makes the TTC look like something a toddler constructed with lego. It is completely different. Consider this - Someone in Guelph - we're talking a city of 120,000 people here, not some small rural town - could not survive without relying on an automobile at some point or another, whereas someone in a European city of similar size could. It is a completely different mentality over there when it comes to transportation. As much as we might like to talk about Toronto being dense, there is a lot more to this country and this continent beyond just Toronto and the other major centres. Until mass transit exists at a fundamental level everywhere, we are going to be reliant on cars on one level or another.

Of course, getting those extensive transit networks would require the massive gas taxes they pay in Europe to fund them, which we wouldn't want to pay because we rely on our cars to get anywhere, and so the Catch 22 goes.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to alamarco
said by alamarco:

said by Wolfie00:

Canada, for all its open spaces, is a highly urbanized population and the vast majority of our gasoline demand and pollution comes from population-dense urban areas where public transit is not only a very practical alternative, but in many cases is already well developed.

In big cities like Toronto, sure. In smaller communities good luck labeling public transit as a practical alternative.

Place like Mississauga, Vaughn, and Markham have useless public transit because they don't have the population density to support it properly, courtesy of urban sprawl.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by MaynardKrebs:

Place like Mississauga, Vaughn, and Markham have useless public transit because they don't have the population density to support it properly, courtesy of urban sprawl.

Mississauga has one of the highest transit riderships as a percentage of population of any transit system in Canada, so they must be doing something right.

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON
reply to Gone
You're right....it's gone up:

»www.californiagasprices.com/Fair···dex.aspx

Close to where I used to live.

At C$1.4/L, it becomes US$5.30/gal.

INSANE!

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON
reply to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

said by Juggernaut:

So, it leaves me to wonder why the Gov hasn't addressed this yet.

Special interest lobbying.

And higher tax revenues.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

And if anyone wants to argue that Europe can afford to do mass transit because of higher population densities, I invite them to spend part of any afternoon on the 401 over the top of Toronto or on the DVP.

And I would like to invite you to Peterborough where unless you live and work downtown getting to work, school or everyday activities is an onerous task without a car.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by peterboro:

said by Wolfie00:

And if anyone wants to argue that Europe can afford to do mass transit because of higher population densities, I invite them to spend part of any afternoon on the 401 over the top of Toronto or on the DVP.

And I would like to invite you to Peterborough where unless you live and work downtown getting to work, school or everyday activities is an onerous task without a car.

I thought if I blinked I would miss driving through Peterborough
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

Oh look elwood caught at a red light camera in Peterborough.

Considering your vehicle is probably filled with smoke you would probably miss it anyhow.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to AR
said by AR:

You're right....it's gone up:

»www.californiagasprices.com/Fair···dex.aspx

Close to where I used to live.

At C$1.4/L, it becomes US$5.30/gal.

INSANE!

Old news AR. Very old news. Cost to refine fuel in Canada is actually cheaper than in the US, but because A) we use metric system and b) tax ontop of tax, we end up paying more than the US...

I'm sure if our taxes were on a gallon of gas and not a litre of gas, we wouldn't have this problem...because its what, in Ontario, 14.7c/L provincial excise tax, 10c/L federally, I can't remember off the top of my head, and then plunk 13% HST ontop of that....so, for a "gallon" of gas, you're looking at 93.3c/gallon just in taxes, not including the HST because I just can't figure out the math this early in the morning...

You take 75% off that as the US taxes their fuel on a per gallon rate I believe at about the same 14 cents or so a gallon, and that's what you get...roughly about the same...

So yes, it is insane, but whats the option? I can't run out and get a new fancy hybrid car, so I'm stuck....(not that I'd buy new), so I just clunk along and drive less....which is ok.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Wolfie00
It's not the densities, but how does one get from Etobicoke to say Ajax vice versa? There is no practical transit solution for that. Unless I want to drive to the GO station, take GO to Union, 2 subways and a bus (and about 6hrs of my life), or I drive across the 401.

Transit systems have been planned (in Toronto) to take people from one part of the city to downtown, if you are fortunate enough to live/work on the subway line, crosstown employment isn't bad either.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Considering your vehicle is probably filled with smoke you would probably miss it anyhow.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTGrfs5TXM

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
Diesel prices remained stead last night .... at least one of the 3 vehicles cost to fill did not go up

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Most stations on the way to work today were 1.40-1.42... Ridiculous.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

Apparently yesterday a little gas station on Eastern Ave just west of Leslie St in Toronto, was selling gas for 50c/litre. At today's prices that would save me some 50 bucks in fuel, but I don't if I'd want to sit in line for hours to get fuel.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

It's not the densities, but how does one get from Etobicoke to say Ajax vice versa? There is no practical transit solution for that. Unless I want to drive to the GO station, take GO to Union, 2 subways and a bus (and about 6hrs of my life), or I drive across the 401.

Transit systems have been planned (in Toronto) to take people from one part of the city to downtown, if you are fortunate enough to live/work on the subway line, crosstown employment isn't bad either.

amen brother, AMEN. people praise only the local transit solutoins, they dont get that people ahve to drive 2-3 cities to go to and from work., transit does not take this into consideration.

plus dont forget finding a parking in a go station? impossible, you will almsot have to illegally park in a no parking area so when u get home at midnite, your car is towd away
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Short termArtifical supply problems? I don't think so.

FIFY

Production capacity exists at several refineries in the States - but it's been slowed down, to create an artificial supply problem...

Even analysts I've seen interviewed in the last day or two can't explain this jump, other then profiteering... Oil's been stable, even come down slightly.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - while generally, government involvement doesn't make anything better, something has to happen - oil companies have never made so much money as they are now - so if the cost at the pump is truly reflective of the increased cost of doing business, why are they setting record profits?

Oh, and I put 105L into my truck at 1.33 before it went up. I've got a bigger tank then most, and a 4.5 cent jump would "only" add a little over 5 bucks on a fill, but it's death by nickels and dimes...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by LazMan:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - while generally, government involvement doesn't make anything better, something has to happen - oil companies have never made so much money as they are now - so if the cost at the pump is truly reflective of the increased cost of doing business, why are they setting record profits?

Because the cost of pulling oil out from the Arab Nations costs say $50/bbl but they price it at $102 the current market price. (btw Oil is down again so far today)
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

It's not the densities, but how does one get from Etobicoke to say Ajax vice versa?

It absolutely is about densities -- that's what could make efficient rapid transit viable if we were willing to make the capital investment. The metropolitan areas of Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver together offer rapid transit potential to at least a quarter of our entire population. The only reason current systems in the GTA seem so focused on downtown is they're very inadequate so the only practical public transit for commuters is the spoke-to-hub route. If transit systems were fast and frequent, it wouldn't matter if it was one or more hub-and-spoke systems, as long as it got you from A to B fast and cheaply.
--
"The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be." -- Konrad Lorenz

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
The thing though Wolfie, is you need to go beyond the Metropolitan areas, and look at the Greater area (GTA for example). Despite the remarks of some of the Ford Brothers, Doug Ford (the Councillor) has said more then once that he favours a integrated regional transit system.

The problem is that transit is municipal centric and basically it's own fiefdom. A lot of that can blamed on "Those Damn Harris Tories" when they cut off provincial transit funding period. If you Fast Forward some 15yrs and there was still provincial funding, there wouldn't be $8b for streetcars in Toronto, and nothing for any other outlying region. We might have had coherent regional transit planning and been able to go from Ajax to Etobicoke without taking the car (or bus for that matter) in a reasonable time frame.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to elwoodblues
$131.4 in Owen Sound this AM. Gas prices went down 2 cents/l overnight.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.