gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Jonasjlp

to Jonasjlp

Re: [Connectivity] Help: We accidentally cut our comcast HCI lin

said by Jonasjlp:

HA!!!! like comcast actually comes out to mark their buried loops. it's cheaper for them to hope you don't hit it and to send a tech out in the off chance you do than to hire a third party locator to come out and mark their cable.

811 sends the ticket out to whomever does the locates in the area...most systems use a third party like utiliquest....sometimes they handle a couple utilities so they would mark out cable/phone, or power/water, etc....
Jonasjlp
join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA

Jonasjlp

trust me, Comcast does not believe in locates. They showed up one day to do a buried drop with a road bore at my house. Never called in a locate. They kicked the line in from the street almost all the way up to my house about 3 inches deep. When they were almost done, I called the township and the codes inspector came out, busted them for not having a locate and made them rip out the line because it wasn't deep enough.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I worked in downingtown, They dont have a code for depth. Your contractor got busted for not having a road crossing permit and a locate.
rody_44

3 edits

rody_44 to Jonasjlp

Premium Member

to Jonasjlp
I dont work for comcast any longer but is still go head to head on why we dont need permits to replace drops. Some townships think they can require it. If they would actually read the dam franchise agreement THEY signed they would see we dont need permits. I especially like the townships that think they deserve a per foot permit. I work for service electric now and run into the same shit every day. A township saying you need a permit and us saying no we dont. the advantage of working for service electric we get to call the guy that actually negotiated the franchise agreement and he calls and shows them exactly where it says we dont need a permit. They are wrong all over the multiple counties the franchise agreement specifies no permits needed for replacement lines only new build. They can be a pain in the ass but all franchise agreements pretty well cover the fact that repairs or replacemes dont require permits.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Jonasjlp

to Jonasjlp
said by Jonasjlp:

trust me, Comcast does not believe in locates. They showed up one day to do a buried drop with a road bore at my house. Never called in a locate. They kicked the line in from the street almost all the way up to my house about 3 inches deep. When they were almost done, I called the township and the codes inspector came out, busted them for not having a locate and made them rip out the line because it wasn't deep enough.

amazing, cause everytime i go out for a cable replacement, i see locates....guess my contractors are better then the ones in your area....
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Yes GAR, comcast has a contract down there with the same company that marks the electric. STS to be exact

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
thats the difference between contractors and employees.
Amerikan
join:2012-04-15
Tucson, AZ

Amerikan to gar187er

to gar187er
Ok so typically bury depth varies by place but yes usually needs to be 12" however let's not forget erosion and other factors that will cause drop to migrate higher to surface also I don't know about out there but where I am they will only mark major utilities. I.e. main power water gas and telco which is just the drop not outlets. Home owner is always responsible for private lines which would include a burried outlet. Also usually company will not charge if trench is open and cable is exposed. However if it is a outlet and you "fixed" it and later call for service call you will be charged to replace outlet but if it's the drop coming from tap (street) to house that will usually always be free to replace unless a company hit it in which case usually they will be charged if customer releases that information. Hopefully this will shed light into this and also all comments posted by me are strictly MY opinion and should not reflect any company standards or guidelines.
gustavenla68
join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA

gustavenla68

I thought depth was not the issue. I thought how you use it was more important.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

Not the size of the wave, it'sthe motion of the ocean.