Search similar:

uniqs
robertf390
join:2011-04-16
Nesconset, NY

robertf390

[HD] VHO-5 WLNY TV (10/55 HD)

Hi:

I saw a news item that in the New York area, WCBS purchased the formerly independent station WLNY and is now broadcasting in HD. Does anyone here know if VZ has any plans to add it and if so when - supposedly there is some good new programming to added by summer.

Thanks

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600

Programming you'll already have on WCBS.

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

I guess there is a chance WLNY's SD feed will end and be replaced with the HD channel once they start broadcasting in HD.

WLNY will not be the same programming as WCBS.
They will have their own newscasts starting in the summer and will have a new HD studio in Long Island.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to robertf390

to robertf390
According to what I read on another forum, WLNY is already broadcasting in HD over the air. Verizon currently carries the SD feed on channel 10. This is their new website although it doesn't contain much:

»newyork.cbslocal.com/sta ··· on/wlny/
FiosTV1080I
join:2010-09-06
united state

FiosTV1080I to robertf390

to robertf390
Anyone notice that WLNY ch 10- theres lines breaking through been noticing this for a a couple of weeks , anyone experiencing the same problem?

jd429
@verizon.net

jd429

Anon

I've noticed the same thing happening, the SD feed is getting worse by the day. Prob has something to do with WCBS - CBS Inc. taking over the station and everything originating out of CBS Broadcast Center in NYC vs how it was out on LI. If they are gonna run this as an independent/duop - I'd like to see the ratings compared to my9 which is awful. I guess all they plan on doing is more syndicated programming which is much better than paid programming and religious crap.

sanford
@verizon.net

sanford to FiosTV1080I

Anon

to FiosTV1080I
i never watch this station but yea it looks like some sort of interderance,annoying to watch.

icemannyr1

icemannyr1

Those lines on WLNY seem to only appear when people are talking.
You might want to try post in the direct forum and ask if they can check channel.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I see constant lines on the channel and pixelation
robertf390
join:2011-04-16
Nesconset, NY

robertf390

same here - lines and blinking on this channel - seems something is not right since the transition.
Duckbacker
join:2005-06-16
Nesconset, NY

Duckbacker to sanford

to sanford
What the hell is "interderance"?

JD
@verizon.net

JD

Anon

said by Duckbacker:

A typo. He's referring to interdance, which is a moving moire pattern caused by every other scan line picking up odd pixels. It's a very fine version of blocking which affects multiple pixels.

sanford
@verizon.net

sanford to Duckbacker

Anon

to Duckbacker
said by Duckbacker:

interference. looks like it hasnt been corrected yet.

icemannyr1

icemannyr1 to robertf390

to robertf390
An update from WLNY today on Facebook,

WLNY YES, we are currently broadcasting in HD! Cablevision and TWC have already added us to their HD tier. We are currently sending an HD feed to Fios, but they haven't added it yet...they tell us that it should be soon...we are HOPING that they will add us by the end of the month....stay tuned

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to robertf390

to robertf390
I just looked at the weekly schedule for that channel and there is not one program Im even interested in to watch...

Id rather they use the HD opening for something else...

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to robertf390

to robertf390
The only reason to watch them in the past was reruns of old shows, none of which are in HD anyway.
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

Fortunately or unfortunately, national HD channels are apportioned differently versus local HD channels on the Verizon network. There seems to always be room for another local channel add (because the amount of space available for locals is equal to the largest number of local channels available in any region, and we aren't anywhere near that capacity here in NYC)

Ike1
join:2012-06-02
Brooklyn, NY

Ike1

said by sbernstein5:

said by bohratom:

There seems to always be room for another local channel add (because the amount of space available for locals is equal to the largest number of local channels available in any region, and we aren't anywhere near that capacity here in NYC)

Yeah, the local tier has room for at LEAST 19 local HD channels, because that's the number they have in Mercer County, NJ (halfway between NYC and Philly, so they get a lot of affiliates from both cities). We only have 13 here right now, if I remember correctly.
ansky
West Orange, NJ

ansky to robertf390

to robertf390
I would have to think channel 510 would be the placement for WLNY-HD once it is added.

They do air a lot of movies and shows like Law&Order CI that I assume would be in HD.

icemannyr1

icemannyr1

WLNY is adding a local news cast 7am-9am and 9pm weekdays.
sbernstein5
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to robertf390

to robertf390
Slightly off-topic I was informed that WLIW (21) is going to FINALLY go HD within the year. I emailed the station saying that they're horribly outdated by not having an HD version and no matter what programming they have on, there's no way I'm going to watch it in SD.

They wrote me back a nice email saying it's coming in the summer of 2013. They're owned by WNET (13) these days, and a lot of good stuff gets shuffled off of the main channel (13) to the "secondary" channel (21) these days -- especially Austin City Limits (one of my favorite programs on TV!) which we have not been able to see in HD here in the NYC area for at least 3 seasons.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Summer of 2013 is not what I would consider "within" the year, it's more than a year and probably will get put off even more and when Verizon adds it, it will be even later, so don't get your hopes up
ansky
West Orange, NJ

ansky

I have always wondered why WLIW is carried on channel 21 and also in the 400's with all the subchannels?
FiosTV1080I
join:2010-09-06
united state

FiosTV1080I to matcarl

to matcarl
We don't even have WLNY TV 55 in HD yet and alot cable systems do while Verizon sits on sidelines and waits.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to ansky

Premium Member

to ansky
said by ansky:

I have always wondered why WLIW is carried on channel 21 and also in the 400's with all the subchannels?

I know it's very foolish, but Cablevision does the same thing with that channel, so it's not just Verizon.
ansky
West Orange, NJ

ansky to FiosTV1080I

to FiosTV1080I
said by FiosTV1080I:

We don't even have WLNY TV 55 in HD yet and alot cable systems do while Verizon sits on sidelines and waits.

Right, which makes no sense considering CBS is already sending them the HD feed (assuming that's true based on earlier post). At this point how long could it possibly take to set up and activate the channel?

icemannyr1

icemannyr1 to ansky

to ansky
said by ansky:

WLIW's OTA digital feed is 4 SD channels.
Ch 470 is 21.1 WLIW.
Not sure why FiOS places it like a sub channel.
ansky
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by icemannyr1:

WLIW's OTA digital feed is 4 SD channels.
Ch 470 is 21.1 WLIW.
Not sure why FiOS places it like a sub channel.

I only get 3 OTA channels:
21.1 = WLIW SD
21.2 = Create
21.3 = World

I don't recall there ever being a 4th.

icemannyr1

icemannyr1

I was checking a list that had 21.4 WLIW-DT4 V Me.

That channel is on WNET-DT 13.3.
sbernstein5
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
Time Warner did the same thing when I had them