how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

Okay Guys What The Hell Is This Contraption?

Click for full size
-
-
Anyone knows?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8

If this was 1970, I'd say it's a load coil.

Judging from the gear below it, I'd guess (micro)cell or WiFi node.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Looks like a Microcell with that load of equipment below it. Normally for Wifi the physical footprint is much smaller.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I'd say it's most likely a microcell.

The lower box is likely a battery backup unit.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada

So you guys are telling me this is essentially a mini cellphone tower? How many customers can it serve at one time? What's the range in square miles of its coverage area?

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

Those questions cannot be answered by looking at some pictures. Range depends on altitude, terrain, antenna gain, transmitter power, etc. Capacity depends on technology and backhaul capacity.

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Xstar_Lumini

My guess is the photo of local receiver for smart electric power meters for your neighborhood. not shown on top of the pole is an antenna transmitting to a central location.

Walta

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to Xstar_Lumini

If you can get some closer up photos, perhaps showing brand names or labels or anything that might help to determine what it is.

olesz

join:2007-02-19
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini

If your in the GTA region or in Ontario in general I can most likely guarantee that its a new hydro smart meter base station

»www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/smart-me···-prices/

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC

said by olesz:

If your in the GTA region or in Ontario in general I can most likely guarantee that its a new hydro smart meter base station

»www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/smart-me···-prices/

I know this is off-topic and not intend to create any argument or anything but HAD to comment this. The word "hydro" absolutely NEVER appears in the web page on that lnik.

NJ_Brad

join:2003-07-23
Trenton, NJ

IIRC Hydro is "Canadian" for electricity in general. (Hydro-electric) It's like Xerox or Kleenex or Coke.

cmslick3

join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL
reply to Xstar_Lumini

That my friend is a remote radio unit. Essentially the same as a DAS, but this belongs to the Mobile phone operator.

The upper box is the radio, the lower box is a battery backup unit. The antenna is obvious.

They typically cover 3/4 mile or less, or about 1km. There should be a whole bunch of them around.

invictive

join:2001-11-14
Saanichton, BC
reply to Xstar_Lumini

To me this looks like a smart meter repeater. You are starting to see them all over north america for relaying hydro meter signals.

Possibly Cicso or Itron.