spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

driekus

join:2008-09-15

[AB] Shaw Cable Included in Condo

I have a Condo which I purchased and we have Shaw cable included. It is only the 10Mb cable. I rang up Shaw to find out if I could upgrade the cable and to my surprise they cant tell me if they can do it or figure out how to do it and will have to call me back in a few days.
I find it kind of weird they have an exclusive agreement with the condo board and cant figure out how they can take more of my money because I want 100Mb connection.
Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
Depends on the condo agreement I think. They may only offer 10Mbps service and whatever TV the strata board decided to get at a discount. If you want more, they need to see if you can "upgrade" or need to subscribe as a new service (and pay for two service - one via strata fees and one for your new account).

Or maybe Shaw's not allowed to and if you want it, you have to talk to your strata board to get better service and pay whatever the strata wants to charge for it. If they offer it.

They literally have to bring up the agreement and have a look at it - there's so many different ways it can go. You can try to look at it yourself as well - perhaps there's a schedule of fees for upgraded service or something. Talk to your building manager.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to driekus
I've seen all sorts of different condo agreements with Shaw,

Most times they have TV services paid for, and internet up to the owner, but some have internet as well.

The main question I have for you is,

Do you have your own modem in your unit you can see/touch? Or do you just have a RJ-45 jack in the wall?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

driekus

reply to driekus
Thanks for the advice.

I do have access to the modem in my condo, so that is one thing working in my favor.

I will contact our building manager today and see if I can get input from the building manager as to the potential for upgrading my connection.

When I contacted Shaw they could see my connection, they were just not sure how to upgrade it on the computer.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
When you have your own modem,

Tt is often setup in Shaw's system as bulk-billed to the actuall address, 100 internet accounts, 100 TV packages billed to 123 Fake Street NW.

Each unit then has its own account, 1-123 Fake Street NW, 20-123 Fake Street, ect. With a modem and maybe a cable terminal, with the services just marked as free.

When you want something extra, you want Movie Central, and it is not included in the bulk account, you are then billed the $16/month or whatever extra it is per month only.

High Speed to Extreme was an Extreme add-on to High Speed, so it would be easy to bill you for the Extreme upgrade, I do not know if the Extreme code can be added onto the BB10 plan.

Normal sales will not be able to do really anything for you,

When you call in, ask for the number for the department that handles bulk-accounts, or Multi-Dwelling Accounts. Normal agents won't have access to mark the bulk-billed services free.

I hope this helps.

This is how in my experience it has been in the past, but sometimes, some buildings are just done differently.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

--

driekus

reply to driekus
Ouch, I just talked to customer service.

They told me that to get the BB100 I have to pay the full price, so I am essentially paying once through the strata fees and once by the outright purchase.
Not a particularly good situation.

Talked to my property manager and they are going to look into it. They have begun questioning whether the bulk-supply is appropriate. So will try to get them to cease getting bulk internet.
Kind of annoying really and probably not in Shaw's best overall interest.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Shaw's interest,

Maybe, they get money every month for every unit, but at a cheaper rate,

Indvidually, higher rate, but maybe not every unit.

Some places I've worked with, full cable (Basic plus 1, 2, and 3) was 32/unit,

Normal price is/was 55.

The savings for most in the strata, will work out better keeping the bulk rate.

Do you know the rate per unit for BB10 the strata is paying? The the amount extra on top of BB100, you'll have a 2nd modem to offer your guests or something else intersting you can find.

The rest of the strata may not go for he higher Shaw rate on indvidual accounts, unless majority want faster speeds, in which case, the strata can go to Shaw for everybody's to be faster.

I hope this made sense.

-Posted from my phone.

driekus

reply to driekus
So we pay around $20 per month for the Shaw internet service in our Strata fees.

There has been pressure on our condo board to limit the increase in condo fees.

A good portion of the people who live in my building do not really use internet as they are older and have argued that internet no longer be supplied.

Others are happy with the internet provided as is.

I am sure that there are others like myself who wish for higher speeds but they are probably in the minority.

I wanted to clarify what Shaw was offering me. They offered to remove my existing connection and replace it with the BB100 package. I would still only have one internet connection but would be paying for two connections.

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to kevinds
My experience is similar to kevinds. There have been problems recently though ...

My dad's condo has a five year contract (signed three years ago) with Shaw for bulk services - only (what was then) regular cable (Tier 1,2,3) was included. A while back we asked Shaw to add internet and got high speed service. Dad paid for internet on a separate bill direct to Shaw - but he did receive the "bundle discount" pricing.

More recently though we enquired about changes to services (both TV and also asked about HS20). We were told we could not make ANY changes that would qualify for bundle discounts unless we signed up the Shaw Plan Personalizer - which would require us to pay for basic TV services twice.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Were you, or was he talking to the regular CS? Or the agents who deal with bulk accounts?

Should still be able to add or remove channels, without being forced into SPP...

Unless there was a higher commission on SPP plans that week

If Shaw was going to charge you full price for BB100, there is no reason for them to have your current modem to stop working, this would be against their bulk agreement, charging unit #201 for BB10, but not providing a modem with BB10.

Two internet services, needs two modems.

Sean might be good to touch base with for this one.

I'm not going to even start to guess how the rest of the Strata feels, but less than half price for BB10 for the light/normal users is a good price

-Posted from my phone.

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by kevinds:

Were you, or was he talking to the regular CS? Or the agents who deal with bulk accounts?

Not sure who you were replying to ...

I dealt with a CSR first and then (because we have bundled services and signed up for Shaw Friends) I also spoke to their "concierge". He maintained they would not allow ANY change to Internet services (AND give bundle discount) unless we went on Personalizer Plan for TV.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
@fan12027 Yes, the first part was to you,

Regular CSRs won't have the experience of working with Bulk-Billed accounts, and likely simply don't know how to deal with them, and if they can sell all new services, at the same time they'll make a nice commision for themselves.

Unless they have completely removed the old Basic from new customers, there is no reason for them to force you into SPP.

Last week when I called about changes I was looking at, there was nothing mentioned about needing to move to SPP. I am not on a bulk-account, not that it should matter (about needing to move from the "basic plus ..." accounts to SPP.
--