spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mrjeschicago

@wideopenwest.com

WOW claims they will no longer support CableCards in a PC!

I have installed a Ceton InifinitTV4 in my PC for use with Windows Media Center (W7). I then go get two Cisco Multi-Stream cable cards from the office in Calumet City, IL.
So I go through the setup with Windows Media Center.
I have the Host ID, the CableCard ID, the serial # and MAC address.
I call WOW support and after working with a guy for 30 munites he goes to talk to a supervisor, comes back and abruptly says "the supervisor says we no longer support CableCards in computers. Thank you, goodbye." That's it!

What gives? Anyone know anything about this? We can still use Windows Media Center with WOW, can't we? If not, I'm switching to Comcast pronto. I've loved the suuport WOW normally supports, but this would be like tossing my overboard. I WILL live without WOW if this is relaly the case. I suspect the "supervisor may be braindead. Dan? Can you confirm this or provide help???

Thanks, all. I've gaikned so much insote from this group it's amazing!

Joel

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
I've got to imagine that this was some kind of fluke, but if it is, I know that's going to make my potential cableco change-up a LOT simpler in the coming months.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
reply to mrjeschicago
Did they hang up on you after that?

»experts.windows.com/frms/windows···428.aspx

According to this, WOW! could not do this because it would break FCC regulations.

mrjes

join:2012-04-03
Oak Forest, IL
Yes.. I was told flat out that "I could not be helped." "goodbye." They hangup.

Joel

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to mrjeschicago
That guy needs to go through some help desk training. You never hang up on a customer like that lol.

Hope that call was taped so the supervisors could review it.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to mrjeschicago
Please report this to the FCC.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to sgc
"According to this, WOW! could not do this because it would break FCC regulations."

That's provided the device is certified by CableLabs. Are you sure that WOW is saying they won't support the cable card or they won't support the cable card in the PC. Seems to me to me that all they have to do is activate the card and if it does not work in the PC that's the OPs problem and now WOW's problem.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
said by battleop:

"According to this, WOW! could not do this because it would break FCC regulations."

That's provided the device is certified by CableLabs. Are you sure that WOW is saying they won't support the cable card or they won't support the cable card in the PC. Seems to me to me that all they have to do is activate the card and if it does not work in the PC that's the OPs problem and now WOW's problem.

The Ceton is certified by Cable Labs. Sounds to me like the csr needs to be fired. Whenever I call WOW!, the csr gives out his name and number right off the bat. The OP should contact WOW! and talk to a supervisor, making sure he gives out the csr info. If that fails, then pm Dan directly and ask him what the problem is.

I also would file a complaint with the FCC right now, before calling WOW! and tell them you already have filed a complaint. I sure as hell wouldn't put up with that nonsense.

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
reply to mrjeschicago
Yet another example of service quality not being what it used to be.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
reply to mrjeschicago
We most definitely still support CableCARDs in PC tuners. Please call back and try speaking with another representative. I apologize for the confusion, but I have one of those at home, and it's still supported.

mrjes

Oak Forest, IL
reply to battleop
The Ceton is CableLabs certified.

mrjes

Oak Forest, IL
reply to WOW_Dan
I am NOT used to being treeated this way by WOW. I am a loooong time customer - early adopter when they moved into our town. I've had nothing but respectful help. But... the last few times I've called things have been a little more curt. I hope the company is not groing too fast. I was told they wanted to remain selective and grow only as fast as they can make the service the best. We'll see.

This was an example of a supervisor who apparently didn't want to do his/her job - OR WOW HAS sent out a memorandum about no longer supporting the CableCard - if you can get by with it. I didn't even have the opportunity to "argue" with the supervisor or ask to be bumped up. WOW better comply this time. I have the FCC complaint site sitting on my browser ready to go.

Dan - is there someone here in Naperville (Chicago area) I can call directly and bypass the CO. helpdesk (I think I normally end up in Colorado)? I recall that early on in my WOW experience I continually had the internet go down on weekends. It acted as though a switch kept re-booting during off hours. I eventually was given a tech's name (maybe yours!) and phone number in Naperville and I helped him find the bad equipment.

Thanks for any help. I'd hate to leave WOW - but I WILL if they have taken this step. I have AT&T and Comcast (yuck - I can't imagine much worse) as alternatives. WOW WILL loose a longtime customer if I am not given access to my cablecard.

Joel

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
There is no local call center for support. I could assist you with getting the card active, but I won't be in the office to do it until Friday. If you can wait until then, send me your account number or phone number, as well as the cable card serial number and Host ID. If you'd like to try and get it going sooner, I would suggest talking to another customer service rep, and if they're unsure, ask them to contact their tier 3 support department.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

mrjes

Oak Forest, IL
reply to mrjes
I called again this morning. Got a female rep. I learned to not give more data than they need.

I said "I have a cablecard I need activated and paired." She said, do you have the info? I said yes. I gave her the serial number (PK number as they say) and within 30 seconds I had all green on my Ceton diagnostics except the CP authorization. When she did that my WOW phone disconnected, so apparently it played with the modem. I seem to be getting the channels I am suppose to, though I need to check completely yet. Apprently the CP Auth is not needed?

Anyone know if the NetTalk hardware will work with WOW? I have two old TK6000 units that have been given lifetime calling plans!

Joel

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
why wouldn't they work with WOW? It's just a VoIP device that plugs into your router and into a phone. Just like Vonage.

battleop

reply to mogamer
"The Ceton is certified by Cable Labs"

But is the PC that it's in certified? They are only going to support what they have to support and no more.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
said by battleop:

"The Ceton is certified by Cable Labs"

But is the PC that it's in certified? They are only going to support what they have to support and no more.

I would think that if the pc meets Ceton's specs, there wouldn't be any problems. And the OP said that the csr told him that they don't support pc's at all. Not that his pc wasn't up to snuff.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to battleop
Are the hundreds of new tv models released each year that support cable cards Cable Labs certified? I doubt it.

battleop

reply to mogamer
That would be Ceton's problem to support the PC not the CATV Operator.

mrjes

Oak Forest, IL
reply to 25139889
Some ISP's may block VIOP ports - or so I've been told. I've had problems with a couple VOIP devices and WOW in the past even though it seems WOW is the most "open" of the cable companies.

mrjes

Oak Forest, IL
reply to battleop
The Ceton, the Cablecard tuner, is the only item that needs to be certified. What it plugs into matters not. And no one is asking them to "support" a computer, only the cablecard connection. That's ALL the cable company has to legally worry about.

battleop

Thanks for repeating what I keep saying.