dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Stormcrown
join:2012-03-03

Stormcrown

[IA] Routers (Wireless) stopped working. No changes on my end.

Both of my routers (I have an Asus Black Diamond and a Cisco/not sure) no longer provide a wireless signal.

Internet works fine when plugged into the modem directly.

I've made no changes, and actually was unable too (Forgot the password to my router, but it worked fine). I haven't changed a single thing in weeks, and now, randomly, the internet has stopped working with both of my routers.

Mediacom says there is no problem, but all of my lights are solid on my router. Not sure what could have caused this.

Seems to be an issue on my end.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Re: [IA] Routers (Wireless) stopped working. No changes on my en

With third party routers I am very limited on how I can help unfortunately. I checked the signals on the modem and they look fine.
Stormcrown

Stormcrown

Yeah thats the issue Chad, its our problem but nothing changed on our end.

What could have changed that would affect both routers equally? Firmware?

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow to Stormcrown

to Stormcrown
Have you tried to reset the routers to default and reconfigure them? Maybe someone else figured out the password and was playing around. Change the password, update the firmware, ...
krommulent
join:2010-04-07

krommulent to Stormcrown

to Stormcrown
how many devices are you using to check for a wireless signal. are there others around that show up when yours isn't working.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan to Stormcrown

to Stormcrown
Outdated firmware won't turn your wireless off or cause it to stop. It was either...

1. Turned off by someone outside of your house. Meaning they got your password and what not.

2. The router have just failed.

3. Fluke. Sometimes it just happens. Reset and see.
jojosuburban
join:2003-04-18
Prairie City, IA

jojosuburban to Stormcrown

to Stormcrown
Do you have the same password on both routers? If so I would guess some one has used it to hack into your router. Best thing to do is reset to factory default and see if you can start over from the begining.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970

+1 ^^
kelley3249
join:2012-07-03
Dubuque, IA

kelley3249

I am having a very similar issue. On July 01, i stopped being able to connect via wifi from all my devices. (laptop, Wii, phone, etc..) I can bypass the wireless router and get internet access directly from my cable modem to my computer. I am using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and it has been working fine for years. All lights and such look normal on modem and router. Call to MC tech and he indicated signal levels were good.

I have done the following besides the usually unplugging and restarting everything a dozen times:

1. updated firmware.
2. replaced ethernet cable
3. went back to factory defaults on router. (I can still 'connect' to router on all devices but no internet connectivity.)
4. Disabled security software on my laptop thinking that might be issue but no help.

I guess my next option to replace the router and see if that helps. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

All of the troubleshooting steps you have done so far are what I would've recommended. If you are able to connect plugged directly into the modem, then the next step is a new router.

Send me an IM with your account or phone number if you are still having issues when you get the new router.

ZenWeasel
join:2008-01-02

ZenWeasel to Stormcrown

to Stormcrown
Personally I don't believe in software coincidence.

Start off by checking to see if "Wireless zero config" (xp) "WLAN AutoConfig" (win7) is running and set to automatic: right click on > My computer/Manage/Services. There's a possibility that an update (or something a bit sinister) may have changed your settings. It might also have been turned off at boot through bios. Again by some prankster with direct access.

Next, if your PC has a OEM version of windows installed provided by ACER, HP, VAIO, etc, you're probably using their network software and utilities. When utilizing Windows Network Trouble Shooter, does a message something like: "windows does not manage your wireless connection" come up? if so you might have to do some digging. MS has a script available on their developers site (msdn.microsoft.com) that can find the OEM installed software as well as some other tools and information (msdn/library) that you might use in order to locate and access the OEM's utilities.

One last thing; Check on your task bar whether both "svchost" for NETWORK SERVICE are evident.

That should keep you busy for now. Good luck and success!

P.S. Before you buy another router, ask to borrow one from a friend because if the above mentioned is your particular problem a new router won't alleviate the situation.

TehStu
@myvzw.com

TehStu to kelley3249

Anon

to kelley3249
The exact same thing just happened to me. My throughput has been intermittent for a couple of weeks (web browsing became painful, netflix simply wouldn't work). Finally had enough and turned both router and modem off for an hour. Turn everything back on (modem then router) and now the router won't sync. I've tried everything I can think of. New cables, hard reset on the router etc.

I phoned tech support and they went through their script. I get a connection just fine wired directly to the modem, so of course they wanted to charge me (more than the cost of a new router) to have some advanced tech person look at it. I declined.

I'd be happy to blame my router (Airlink AR670W) but for a few reasons:

1. I can connect to its status page, it's otherwise functioning correctly aside from not seeing the WAN connection.

2. These sync issues have happened before. I've literally touched nothing, left it a few hours and it eventually starts working again.

3. Mediacom clearly have been changing things (despite tech support's reassurance to the contrary) because my connection speed has just been bumped up to 24meg. I check it periodically, and I've only had 16meg of late (for a sustained throughput of 1.6meg/sec from Steam).

4. The EXACT same thing has happened to my mother-in-law's Netgear router, on the other side of town. It's under a year old.

Is there anything I can do? Beyond buying a new router, of course.

(just to cover my bases, I've checked on multiple laptops, phones and tablets, switched cables out etc. My router is on a surge-protected socket and all the rest of the equipment on it, including the cable modem, is fine.)
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas to kelley3249

Premium Member

to kelley3249
I have been having many problems with the Mediacom in Iowa with the router's not coming back online what I do for customer's is have them clone their computer's mac address to there routers. After that is done, I have them unplug their router + modem plug modem in first... wait till all lights solid, and then plug in the router makes the internet come online. Odd issue but that has solved every issue.
Stormcrown

Stormcrown to TehStu

to TehStu
This has been an issue for me for 5 months.

I've used 4 different routers, 3 different modems, 2 lan cards, 3 operating systems INCLUDING Linux, and I've reinstalled Windows 7.

I've also used two different ethernet cables between my modem/router and PC.

I've also bypassed my router and connected directly to the modem with two different cables, and the issues persist.

The internet does this typically 9-10 times during the night, and the issues happen frequently until they stop for a few weeks, then happen again.

I've also had 4-5 different technicians come and say they "fixed" the issue, only for nothing to change.

Don't bother buying anything new.

ZenWeasel
join:2008-01-02

ZenWeasel to Technicholas

to Technicholas
I believe the nature of the subject was unavailability of a wireless connection from router to PC not modem to router. The OP stated that he can maintain a direct connection via ethernet cable. I don't see how Mediacom is at fault here.
Stormcrown

Stormcrown

Yeah, I replied to the wrong thread. I had a few open and my Opera browser re-opened and I just clicked the wrong one.

Please ignore!