uniqs
share rss forum feed

yragha
I'M Stuck In The 80's
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Pasadena, TX

[T-Mobile] TMobile 4g Speeds in Houston

Finally decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy SII but not overly impressed with the speeds.

I usually only have 1 or 2 bars inside at least, and am averaging a pathetic 3376 download and between 700-1000 up. Pings range from 200 to 600.

Can anyone share their experiences with TMobile's data speeds around the Houston area. The phone got glaring reviews which is the reason I purchased it but a day after purchasing it, not impressed at all.

Thanks
--
NEVER forget 9/11-01

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC
I am not in your area and can't help you out there, but I have that phone too and its signal strength is the best of any phone I've had in years (and I had the S1 [which was also good] before this S2). Sounds like your indoor coverage just isn't great. Can you just use wifi indoors?

I did read though that as part of that AT&T breakup deal, T-Mobile would be repurposing some of its old 2G spectrum for 4G on a lower frequency (I think?) and that this would improve building penetration. I think most of it was even happening this year sometime.
--
»www.FlightSimWorld.com
Remember, there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
Flight Simulator

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to yragha
My samsung galaxy s 4g has horrible signal strength. I ended up getting the amaze 4g instead of the galaxy s II for that reason.
Those speeds are typical of 3g on tmo (but still, pings are high! i average 55-80ms)
Typical 4g speeds i get in the midwest to the east coast are around 15-25Mb/s down. somethings not right. give em a call.

You can also stop at the tmo corporate store and do a few speedtests on other phones. Not all phones are created equal, even though the data specs may be the same.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

yragha
I'M Stuck In The 80's
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Pasadena, TX
And where I work I did a speedtest, pings were in the 60's with downloads anywhere from 6 to 11Mb/s down. Must just be the area I live in.
--
NEVER forget 9/11-01

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to yragha
T-Mobile has always been kind of spotty in the Houston area, especially indoors. I had them for a while. You may just be in a weaker area.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to yragha
Wow, those speeds are good.

I have Sprint, on 3G I normally get speeds of 0.15 Mbps (and lower) down, 0.4 Mbps up. On 4G I get 3 to 8 Mbps down, but the 4g coverage is hardly there.

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to yragha
said by yragha:

Finally decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy SII but not overly impressed with the speeds.

I usually only have 1 or 2 bars inside at least, and am averaging a pathetic 3376 download and between 700-1000 up. Pings range from 200 to 600.

The number of bars makes a big difference.. I've got a Exhibit II 4g.. similar.. but smaller.. I watched a video on dis-assembly of phone and noticed the antenna is located across the bottom of the phone underneath the 4 keys.

I found that you'll get more signal if the area is kept clear, and even more so, if the phone is oriented horizontally the received signal would improve dramatically. Now I kept the phone, in a plastic business card holder(horizontally), and I then rotated the phone until the signal improved from from 2 to 4 bars. (It's tethered to my pc's USB port, so the extra signal really improves speed and reliability.)

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
After some experimentation.. I discovered that too much signal is also a bad thing.. (multiple cell towers competing, when the switch occurs one needs a signal reset to restore connectivity.)

So, I converted the Omni-directional antenna in my sammy ExII to a directional antenna, using some 1' x 4" peice of small bubble wrap and empty tin of sliced peaches(4.7" height x 3.9" diameter), some tape, and a soap tray to hold the can(tenna).

The plastic bubble wrap is folded over a couple of times underneath my Samsung exhibit II, suspending the microphone end roughly one inch from the inside of the Peach can. The display parallel(flat) facing up from ground and the 4 keys(w antenna underneath) are located ~1.6 inches from the back of can. The other end of Samsung(w USB connection) partly hangs outside of the can.

Now I can rotate the whole assembly like a compass, and watch the signal levels go up & down by 20-30db. Thus allowing me to choose which nearby tower to use(or not use).

Note: I use a bluetooth gateway(to wired/cordless phones) to access cell phone voice capabilities while the cell phone is in the directional can setup.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to yragha
My wife has the SGII here in dallas and we get 15-20mb down and 4-5mb up any time of day.

I don't know what kind of network down there but you might be limited due to the equipment they have deployed. Plus 3.3mb down is not exactly horrible.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

1 edit
reply to yragha
As far as data transfer goes what exactly are you needing to transfer that requires more bandwidth? Please don't say speed test. So, there is nothing wrong with the phone? Just not impressed with the speed test? But it streams every video and loads every website right? No actual issues?

In the Atlanta area I get the same transfer rates 3-8mbps but my ping times are 50-100ms as long as I have a strong signal. That means upstairs or near a window.

Your house is blocking the signal. Understand it's not the signal from the tower that is weak, it's the signal from your phone that is weak. Phones output a fraction of a watt.

Get a hspa+ 42 modem and external antenna if you are using T-Mobile as your ISP and your market supports it.