spc
Search similar:

uniqs

oldpot
@comcast.net

oldpot

Anon

two Comcast copyrights infringement letters

I got same day two Comcast copyrights infringement letters for downloading 2 episodes of the series once upon a time but i thought downloading series was ok and not copy right as i can watch them without problems on hula and the new Comcast stream pix am i still wrong for downloading them or have i a case to argue with .
ty

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Nope, downloading a TV series is just as criminally offensible as a movie.
krommulent
join:2010-04-07

krommulent to oldpot

to oldpot
you have no case.

oldpot
@comcast.net

oldpot to oldpot

Anon

to oldpot
so if i miss the shows on tv i cannot download them to watch i have to go with hula or Comcast and watch them from there???.

Chippy
@70.40.136.x

Chippy

Anon

Correct. Those companies pay the appropriate royalties and have agreements with the content provider. You do not.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

said by Chippy :

Correct. Those companies pay the appropriate royalties and have agreements with the content provider. You do not.

tss

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to oldpot

Premium Member

to oldpot
I think you should be asking a lawyer this. Whether it was right or wrong has nothing to do with it being legal or illegal.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to oldpot

Premium Member

to oldpot
How did you download them?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to oldpot

to oldpot
abc has that show streaming on their website the day after it airs.....
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to oldpot

to oldpot
I'd ask you to post the letters, but that might be copyright infringement, too!

The producers of the TV show have the copyright. That means anybody who wants to make a copy needs their permission. They could give it for free, but they make money selling it to cable, satellite, broadcast, etc. and not giving it away. Even over-the-air broadcasts are protected by copyright, even though you aren't paying money for them.

There are exemptions for fair use like education and news reporting. Also, about 70 years after the TV producers die, the copyright ends.

I think copyright makes sense, to reward creators and artists, but the 70-90 year period is much too long. It's really up to Congress to change it, but every change they make increases the length.

oldpot
@comcast.net

oldpot to oldpot

Anon

to oldpot
i got it from a torrents site pirate bay i use a few torrent sites and i downloaded lots of tv series episodes and nothing has ever happened before its easier than watching them from the main site or hula etc i am from uk and download a lot of uk stuff on a private tracker and bbc know about this tracker and because they do not do torrents that are of dvds or stuff you can buy then they leave them alone for the moment .now if while abc or any other tv station replays any show until its does get to dvd etc i thought you could get it anywhere to watch and them delete but looks like i am wrong only in usa .

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Torrents upload at the same time you download. That's what got you caught. You were uploading to a snitch.
Expand your moderator at work
rocafellanrd
join:2009-05-04

rocafellanrd to oldpot

to oldpot

Stttttrike Two: Comcast F-Uright Infringement Letters

said by oldpot :

I got same day two Comcast copyrights infringement letters for downloading 2 episodes of the series once upon a time but i thought downloading series was ok and not copy right as i can watch them without problems on hula and the new Comcast stream pix am i still wrong for downloading them or have i a case to argue with .
ty

I really hope you didn't post here from the ip address that you used to download those episodes from.

Since your living in the US oldpot, then that is already 2 strikes against you. THEY WILL will put that in some file somewhere. It will be forgotten and then brought out again.

It will be eventually used to hold that against your household or someone they can get there hands on, once that six strikes agreement goes through. They will find a way to use it as leverage against you or anyone that had that ip at some point when they sue. It will be more evidence for them.
said by oldpot :

I got it from a torrents site pirate bay, I use a few torrent sites and I downloaded lots of tv series episodes and nothing has ever happened before. Its easier than watching them from the main site or hula etc.

I really don't believe that excuse. You gotta educate yourself dude. The reason you were never caught before is because they never paid attention to your ip address in the swarm. In other words, you got lucky a lot.

Gear up, because it is only gonna get even more crazy. This site is gonna be flooded with people getting letters and having problems with the bureaucracy. There are gonna be plenty of people who get those letters purposely in error as a scam.

I DO NOT condone downloading torrents and/or file-sharing. Although if you are going to be doing that, think about investing in a VPN dedicated to torrents or etc.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to oldpot

to oldpot

Re: two Comcast copyrights infringement letters

Can you spell VPN? About $5 a month and they never know who you are ever. Simple.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to oldpot

Premium Member

to oldpot
said by oldpot :

ty

Suggest you stop downloading them.
JohnInSJ

JohnInSJ to sabretooth

Premium Member

to sabretooth
said by sabretooth:

Can you spell VPN? About $5 a month and they never know who you are ever. Simple.

this is somewhat true, assuming your vpn provider can avoid getting nailed in your place. I am thinking megaupload is a good example as to how not to do that.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth

VPN providers don't host illegal software. Magaupload was not a VPN service, just hosted illegal software.
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

2 recommendations

Kommie2 (banned) to oldpot

to oldpot
Throw the letters out dont worry about them. Mask your ip through tor.

»www.torproject.org/proje ··· .html.en
Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to sabretooth

Premium Member

to sabretooth

Re: two Comcast copyrights infringement letters

said by sabretooth:

VPN providers don't host illegal software. Magaupload was not a VPN service, just hosted illegal software.

um... if the packets sharing copyrighted works originate from the vpn provider, doesn't that make them the source of infringement?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to sabretooth

to sabretooth
If the VPN provider want's any chance at Safe Harbor protection they will have to roll over on the VPN user. If not they become a big fat target.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Kommie2

Premium Member

to Kommie2
said by Kommie2:

Throw the letters out dont worry about them. Mask your ip through tor.

»www.torproject.org/proje ··· .html.en

tor? yeah the tv show will be a classic by the time its done downloading using tor.

oldpot
@comcast.net

oldpot

Anon

i only download odd film now and again i just miss alot of tv show and as i said in first post thought that i could download tv episodes that are on mainstream tv due to there are free (well we pay for cable so not free)and was ok to do so, i could use hulu or comcast site but not sure if there in HD or not and i get hd versions of the show ty again all for your comments .

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to oldpot

to oldpot
There is a forum link to previous related topics you can access when viewing this forum in forum view.

In case you haven't seen it ---> »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Has anyone received a warning from Comcast concerning infringement?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to oldpot

MVM

to oldpot
This is a little OT, but I just saw this interesting press release from a Florida law firm, Tamaroff & Tamaroff, about defending their clients from "Copyright Trolls," who "obtain and enforce copyrights for the purpose of making money through aggressive litigation."

Tamaroff Law Gets 16 Clients Dismissed from Copyright Troll Cases in the Northern District of Florida
Tamaroff & Tamaroff via PRWeb - April 5, 2012
»www.prweb.com/releases/2 ··· 0791.htm

An excerpt:

"Copyright Trolls have been flooding Florida’s courts with mass copyright litigation. The Florida copyright attorneys at Tamaroff & Tamaroff defend "John Doe" Internet users from having their identities disclosed to copyright trolls. Tamaroff & Tamaroff successfully protected the identities of 16 John Doe defendants in the recent surge of mass copyright litigation in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida.

In the past year several groups have begun to use mass copyright litigation to extract large settlements from Internet service account subscribers. These copyright trolls (»tamarofflaw.com/florida- ··· -defense) improperly target hundreds or even thousands of unrelated “John Doe defendants” who are identified only by their unique Internet Protocol (“IP”) address. After initiating suit, the copyright trolls issue subpoenas to third-party Internet Service Providers (“ISPs”) (such as Comcast, AT&T, etc.) demanding disclosure of the names and identities of their subscribers who are assigned the IP addresses listed in the suit. The copyright trolls’ tactics are entirely focused on obtaining the names and contact information of as many individuals as possible with the minimum amount of court costs so that they can exploit the massive damages available under copyright law in order to pressure defendants into quickly settling these claims for thousands of dollars.

Unfortunately, copyright trolls have been filing many of these generally frivolous lawsuits in Florida’s state and federal courts. The Florida copyright attorneys at Tamaroff & Tamaroff have successfully defended clients who are located all across the country from these highly questionable claims of copyright infringement."

So, if any of you guys are located in the "Northern District" of Florida, you may want to give that firm a call.
johnd5089
join:2009-08-11

johnd5089 to oldpot

to oldpot
I really don't get the TV logic.

If I record show X from local CBS (Which is legal), encode it to H264 using tools, I can keep it, watch it as much as I want, burn it (for myself), etc all completely legal.

If I download it the only difference is someone else did the "work" the end result is the same, but I am a criminal for doing it that way..

Don't get it...