how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tuliplover18

@cox.net
reply to FFH

Re: Lets face it

yes, it will drop significinally, unless you want to subscribe to every venue out there. For most, they will "pay" for a lot of channels they never even watch. For instance, most cable/satellite lowest packages, make you pay for ESPN, or other sports --- the non-sports customer subsidizes the sports viewers, keeping the expensive prices low by spreading the cost. Once folks catch on to this, and pick and choose a-la-cart packages they want, the costs will go down (unless you're a sports watcher of course--- but those costs are already high)

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

2 recommendations

The problem with this argument is that you're assuming Disney will allow ESPN to be broken out of a package so that you can get other channels at a lower cost.

There is a reason that channel packages from every pay TV provider look nearly identical -- it's the content producers who are forcing the bundling of channels.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America

There was an article here awhile back about Cox having a package without ESPN, and it was ~$35/mo. IIRC, though it was in a limited set of markets.

krazyfiend

join:2011-02-15

1 edit
reply to espaeth

Comcast's Digital Economy pkg is sans the ESPN channel lineup...keeps it at the 29.95 mark (I believe it was increased at the first of the year though)

However, it is limited to particular areas as well... you travel across Indianapolis into a different township/area...they will act as clueless and like you are the stupid one if you call them up to inquire about it--lol

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by krazyfiend:

Comcast's Digital Economy pkg is sans ESPN channel lineup...keeps it at the 29.95 mark

However, it is limited to particular areas as well... you travel across Indianapolis into a different township/area...they will act as clueless and like you are the stupid one if you call them up to inquire about it--lol

This is exactly my point though. Every cable, satellite, and TelcoTV provider has tried to do this in some form or another and it gets shutdown or limited pretty quickly.

A few years back when channels were still in the process of launching HD broadcasts, Dish Network offered a "HD Only" package that was $29.99. It was an awesome deal at the time because all of the marquee channels were the first to have an HD channel, so you could get a bunch of great programming for $30/mo. That lasted a couple years until the agreements that allowed them to create that package expired, and they were forced to move everyone onto $50+ channel packages for the same channels.

If companies using millions of subscribers as leverage at the negotiating table can't get this done, what makes people think this is going to work with consumers vs the media companies directly?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

said by espaeth:

If companies using millions of subscribers as leverage at the negotiating table can't get this done, what makes people think this is going to work with consumers vs the media companies directly?

I'm not sure how you make this argument. Consumers have the ultimate say and eventually we consumers and the programmers will come to realize this. The fact they have people like you coming here and claiming otherwise shows just how distorted this entire industry has become.

Provided the trend continues programmers will be killing off channels and trying to keep their core channels relevant. A la carte, regardless of what all of the anti a la carte people claim, will lower a vast majority of the prices for people and the good will quickly get separated from the bad and wasted channels and air time will quickly disappear.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

1 recommendation

said by Skippy25:

I'm not sure how you make this argument. Consumers have the ultimate say and eventually we consumers and the programmers will come to realize this.

You can't buy a product a company is unwilling to sell. Under the current arrangement ESPN is making nearly $4/mo in subscriber fees from 110 million pay TV subscribers. Do you honestly think Disney is going to rock that boat?

said by Skippy25:

The fact they have people like you coming here and claiming otherwise shows just how distorted this entire industry has become.

Yes, clearly because I think that companies will want to continue making money I must be working for the media industry.

said by Skippy25:

Provided the trend continues programmers will be killing off channels and trying to keep their core channels relevant.

Please name any number of channel reductions in the last decade that would lead you to believe this to be true.

said by Skippy25:

A la carte, regardless of what all of the anti a la carte people claim, will lower a vast majority of the prices for people and the good will quickly get separated from the bad and wasted channels and air time will quickly disappear.

Which wasted channels are you talking about? Channels like the home shopping network and QVC that PAY to have their channel carried, and hence result in subscriber bills actually being lower?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Obviously I was speaking of changes to come, not the past. But of course in your blind defense of how things are and how they should remain the same you missed that.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to espaeth

You know, this whole thing kinda reminds me of buying a car versus buying all the parts to make a car. Buying each part separately is much more expensive than just getting the whole danged thing!