spc
uniqs
NGOwner
join:2000-11-21
Leawood, KS

NGOwner to OHN

to OHN

Re: [Rant] MSI 560 Ti RMA Denied by Newegg

If you have the card back, why don't you just fix the fan, since your other avenues seem to not have panned out ....

[NG]Owner

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

He'll void his 3-year warranty if he fixes it himself.
OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

OHN to NGOwner

to NGOwner
Have not received it yet. Newegg still has it. I called MSI in advance to see if they would accept an RMA under warranty and they said no. I am not completely screwed though. They may repair it for $40 or so but the warranty is void at this point. Right now I am waiting on a call from Newegg supervisor. I doubt he will call.
OHN

OHN to pnjunction

to pnjunction
Either way my warranty is void. Physical damage to the card, in this case the fan, voids your warranty.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

?? MSI told you that? I thought it was just newegg being stupid.
OHN
Appleton, WI

1 edit

OHN

Yeah, they both said this. Newegg said they would not accept any damaged products. They told me to contact MSI. I contacted MSI even though I dont have the card back from Newegg yet and they told me the warranty is voided because of the damage. I told them it was not improper installation or modification. They said all they could do is do an out of warranty repair for the fan.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

Wow lame. Couldn't they see that the shroud was hitting the fan? Why was the shroud hitting the fan anyways? I'm thinking very close design and then bent during shipping or something?

I once had a cooler fall right off my new XFX 6600GT when I took it out of the box. Turns out the packaging had no padding at all between the outside and the cooler thanks to a rigid plastic window that basically transferred force directly from the outside of the package to the cooler. Anyways the retail shop wouldn't do an instant exchange due to the damage, but they did send it to XFX who sent a new card (although it had a crappier reference cooler not the fancy copper one I wanted, I got over it).
OHN
Appleton, WI

1 edit

OHN

Yeah you are correct. The fan is super close to the shroud by design. Check out the pic. When I saw the card was overheating, I checked the fins and they were very soft. My guess it was from the heat of the card. The fan would spin a little and the same fin would hit the shroud. There are no cables or anything in the way that would cause this to happen. The card rests against my case panel.