Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

awebber
Premium
join:2003-04-02
Gloucester, ON

Android app "VoIP Assistant" (Fireball Technology Grou

Found this app by searching on "voip.ms" in the Android Market. Good reviews but only 500+ downloads.

Has anyone here tried it, confirm it's safe, etc.?

Thanks!
=aw
--
Webber's occasional bargain blog: www.wwwebber.com

cheeser

join:2011-12-18
Etobicoke, ON

Re: Android app "VoIP Assistant" (Fireball Technology

Hello awebber - I'm the developer and also a user of the app. I own one voip.ms DID and I wanted to view my call log without having to fire up my laptop. This app seems to do the trick.

I can tell you that I did not code anything malicious into the app and that I have been firm on minimizing the number of permissions needed to run it. In fact I have wanted to add additional features but doing so would require me to demand more permissions from a user. I hate permission creep.

I have tried to act on all of the feedback I've received from users on the market

I am always pleased to find users who are suspicious - its a healthy change. I encourage you to reverse engineer the app if you are unsure about its operation.

Of course I am biased! I hope others in the voip.ms user community who use my app can provide you the information you seek.

awebber
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Hi cheeser, thanks for the info. I noticed the reasonable (low) number of permissions and thought it was refreshing. I'm not sure reverse engineering is within my capabilities but I worry sometimes about apps that want (need) my personal info, e.g. the frequent-flyer tracking apps that (quite reasonably) need my # and password for every plan.

=aw
--

awebber
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to cheeser
Okay so I thought I'd try it. I went to the voip.ms page and added an API password and enabled API. Then I put my voip.ms login email, and the new API password into VoIP Assistant. When I click Refresh I get "bad credentials".

Do I need to do something else? I tried adding my phone's IP address on the API page but I figure that's optional (?) and deleted it again.

Thanks!
=aw
--

cheeser

Etobicoke, ON
If you are getting a bad credentials error this is likely the problem. Voip.Ms is pretty fine-grained in its error messages and I pass them along.

All I can say is check your email and password. Are there spaces where there shouldn't be? Try creating a simpler password (letters or numbers only) - I would like to know if this corrects the problem.

Can you let me know how it goes?

cheeser

Etobicoke, ON
reply to awebber
Follow-up: you need to set the phones public IP.

0.0.0.0 will work for all phones since this tells voip.Ms to allow connections to their API using your credentials from any IP.

awebber
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Thanks, I had a leading space on the email address.

Also added 0.0.0.0 I haven't tried without it. It makes sense there has to be _something_ because my phone's IP address would presumably change as I move from home to Telus to Starbucks to Telus to some other public WiFi etc.

Now I've downloaded the info. Am I right that this is mostly a view into the account, e.g. I can see the filters but not add more? No problem, just seeing the call log will be great.

=aw
--

cheeser

Etobicoke, ON
Great news! Entering data on a mobile is not an exact science.

Home to Telus? Funny, I work at the same company.

The app is a somewhat limited view into the account. You can see all the DIDs associated with the account as well as all incoming and outgoing calls, any filters, the ability to add filters based on calls in your log, you phone book, the ability to add phone book entries based on your calls, and a Notifier of any incoming calls.

I haven't yet received input on any adding other features.

BingoRingo

join:2010-03-29
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1
reply to awebber
I don't think I have much use for this but I'll give it a try!