uniqs
share rss forum feed

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA
reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Zzzzzzzzzzz

2.65 million people times, say, $70 for the average monthly cable bill is $185.5 million dollars. That's a little over $2.2 billion in lost revenue per year, and the numbers are cumulative (people who cut the cord this year aren't going to be paying for cable next year, either). Now, Comcast alone had revenues of $55.8 billion in 2011, so $2.2 billion isn't going to bankrupt the industry, but you can bet they'd much rather still have those subscribers. And in 5 years or so we'll probably be adding a few zeroes to those numbers.

The cable industry isn't as naive as they pretend to be in public (and as you apparently are), which is why they've been pushing additional revenue streams to compensate for their losses. Only bad executives ignore a changing landscape.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
said by vpoko:

2.65 million people times, say, $70 for the average monthly cable bill is $185.5 million dollars. That's a little over $2.2 billion in lost revenue per year, and the numbers are cumulative (people who cut the cord this year aren't going to be paying for cable next year, either).

The problem with these numbers is that pay TV providers are still seeing net gains. As cowboyro See Profile pointed out below, the report says 1 million subscribers "cut" their cord, but pay TV providers still posted a 112k subscriber gain last year.

The real problem here is that subscriber churn is being reported as cord cutting. If I cancel my cable subscription to go to DirecTV, I didn't "cut the cord" in the way it is being presented here.

iamwhatiam

@verizon.net
The numbers reported include all "pay TV" sources, including satellite.