Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I got the e-mail today

Verizon sent me the e-mail today Karl is referencing. What a bunch of IDIOTS.

It costs them almost nothing to continue to provide DSL to a customer once it is setup and running. Since the physical plant needs to be in place to provide phone service to anyone who may want it, why not just take what you can get from a customer and give them DSL if that is what they want. Some money is better than none! In fact they already charge more for a dry loop than a DSL loop + voice.

Since DSL is a poor option for anyone who needs a lot of speed, you would think they would be trying to make it easy and attractive to keep customers, but I guess not.

What this will mean is the copper will continue to deteriorate as more and more of it will sit un-used and un-needed and as a result un-maintained.

With FIOS expansion all but dead, it looks like Verizon it trying to push customers to cable. Why of course, they have a deal with the cable co now don't they?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

1 recommendation

Re: I got the e-mail today

all but dead? FiOS is dead. no more builds. And it was dead from the start. They got to pick the cities they wanted and in the end those will be the only VZ landline markets. Everything else will go to someone else who wants the copper or can deploy something else that is cost effective.

Other telcos are doing this same thing and you really thing VZ is going to be any different? VZ was one of the first that required you to have an ISP and pay a Port charge to them. It was like that until they could get their approval and Ohio was one of the last states that they could. For 1.5/384 was a total of 64+ and that was back in 2001. VZ is all about the $$$$$$.
jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

FiOS dead? I've got it.
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
At least if they sold them off, someone who actually wants them could buy them and upgrade. Like what happened in NH, now they have DSL service on islands at 15mbps. Never would have happened with Verizon.

It's just weird that Verizon is like trying to damage their investment in those areas, when they could run it well and make a profit, albeit a relatively small one.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

1 edit

1 recommendation

FiOS isn't dead in the markets it's offered it's a wonderful service, and I think in those markets verizon is a serious competitor to cable, their network has more potential than cable.
The reason that the buildout has ended is simple. Short sighted investors threw a fit until verizon got rid of the CEO with a FIOS vision, which will be very profitable in the long run and replaced him with one of their own, a short sighted investor view.
FiOS where it is deployed has a serious leg up on cable. FTTH is the future , it's just going to take much longer thanks to short sighted investors
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC

Agree with everything you said. I would add that they want to move in the direction of 'wireless everything' and don't want to invest another penny in wired technology even if wireless everything is years away. I guess thats their version of a long-sighted vision. Hence the new CEO is from Verizon wireless.
BiggA

EARTH

Wireless everything is never going to happen. Not enough spectrum, too much bandwidth demand. And even then, there have to be wired networks to connect the wireless things to.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

Thats what the 'experts' used to say about the mass use of cell phones. You are thinking in terms of today's technology.

It is do-able at the density of most areas except very large cities through the use of micro-cells. It would require a substantial investment in infrastructure which is another reason why they would have stopped FIOS. Just look what they are doing with FIOS equipment now... it is only going to be fiber to the side of the house then wireless from there to the STB's. You only need 1 wireless data channel for each channel being watched at any given time. Yes all Internet will be capped & throttled but they are already getting people used to that. I doubt they will even offer telephone over it... after all EVERYONE has a cell phone these days!
BiggA

EARTH

We're getting close to the physical limits of the capacity of spectrum.

Yeah, if you do a DAS with antennas every couple of houses, of course it will work, but at that point, why not just plug the houses actually in? And also, if you're rolling out that much gear, why bother with licensed spectrum, you could just use 802.11n, which is capable of at least 80mbps.

FIOS is not wireless. The video is QAM just like cable, and runs over existing coax, and the internet runs over MoCA on the QAM to a router that than does wifi, just like any other home router.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

»Verizon Wants Full Wireless For In-Home FiOS

From what I hear, they are testing the equipment as we speak.
BiggA

EARTH

They're testing. Whether anything actually works or not is another issue. At that sort of bandwidth, it is unlikely to work.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by MovieLover76:

FiOS isn't dead in the markets it's offered it's a wonderful service, and I think in those markets verizon is a serious competitor to cable, their network has more potential than cable.

I did not mean it is dead in current markets. It is dead in the sencs of not growing into new markets; possibly the proper word would be "stunted".
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

VZSUX

@optonline.net
So true
WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
AT&T may do this also just to get more customers to drop dsl and landlines. They are doing everything they can to shut down the old DSL system and move the customers to Uverse internet. A friend said they were planning to shut down the POTS switches in 5 years. It may have been on DSLreports I read where AT&T had filled the paperwork with the FCC to shut down the POTS switches sometime in the future. I would guess they will do it by the end of 2020.

AT&T has also stopped their Uverse buildout.
BiggA

EARTH

It's currently regulated, and they would need something to replace it, which doesn't currently exist. So no, the POTS systems won't be shut down anytime soon. I suppose they could shut down DSL, although there are plenty of places that can get DSL but not U-Verse. It would make sense to kill off DSL if they did a 100% FTTH overlay of their copper.

U-Verse is a nightmare, as it is making copper plant maintenance not only conform to a higher standard, but also making it a lot more complicated.