spc
uniqs
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to bdnhsv

to bdnhsv

Re: Makes the cable company happy

not really the same thing. POTS is a LOT more than that extra $10 a month that the MSO charges.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

I don't know who your cable company is, but here where I live CMCST charges $21.95 per month for basic, and that includes about 15 channels (including local, CSAPN, home shopping, tv guide, PEG/local school/local gov't). Having said that I have their $70 or $80 tv package (digital starter I think it's called). So, I would just say that it's not a comparable amount of money to get the basic only package as opposed to a local only POTS line in some places.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

It's not about what they charge for basic. It's about the extra fee they charge for not having TV.

And I have Buckeye. CMST does NOT charge $21 a month for not having TV with HSI. It's more like $10-12 extra. The same as TWC and the others.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

This is from the pop up window that appears when I choose "performance internet service" from their website. I cut a lot of verbiage off from the top and bottom of this that I didn't think was relevant (but you can go check it out for yourself).

After 12 months, or if any service is cancelled or downgraded, regular charges apply. Comcast’s current monthly service charge for Performance ranges from $42.95 to $62.95, and may vary depending on your area and other Comcast services (if any) received.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889
said by 25139889:

not really the same thing. POTS is a LOT more than that extra $10 a month that the MSO charges.

yup. thats why they want it and all the unfees associated with it!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Actually, Verizon has plans at around $6 and $12, plus taxes and fees. Very, very basic plans, but they would work to get DSL. So it pretty much is the same thing.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by BiggA:

Actually, Verizon has plans at around $6 and $12, plus taxes and fees. Very, very basic plans, but they would work to get DSL. So it pretty much is the same thing.

Verizon doesn't advertise those plans and will barely acknowledge they exist if you call them. Also it's the taxes and fees that make POTS expensive. The fees can be upwards of $10 a month.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

So that's $16/mo, or $1 more than Comcast's de-bundling fee. Don't get me wrong, I think those fees should be illegal, but they all do it.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889
said by 25139889:

It's not about what they charge for basic. It's about the extra fee they charge for not having TV.

And I have Buckeye. CMST does NOT charge $21 a month for not having TV with HSI. It's more like $10-12 extra. The same as TWC and the others.

What "extra fee" do they charge you for internet when you don't subscribe to TV?

Let me correct you. Internet service is about $54.95 a month. That is the price. That is how it's rate disclosed. That's the normal price of internet. If you subscribe (bundle) then you get a DISCOUNT.. say that with me.. "DISCOUNT" on internet service.

I never ceases to amaze me how everyone looks at the lowest printed price and believes anything above that is a penalty.

However, as you call it "a fee".. I have yet to, this day, ever see a line item that says "Non-TV subscriber FEE" on the bill.. do they? Is there a rate disclosure line item that says "Non-TV subscriber FEE"...?

I just can't get it in my head this society we live in where discounts are some how evil.