spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ejbvanc

@mycingular.net

[FiOS] Frontier down? Fios down?

My gateway on my router specifies 50.53.170.1 as the default gateway once it leaves my network. My FIOS connection stopped working at 7PM ON THE DOT tonight (coincidence?). So I hooked up my iPhone and tethered into one of my collocated boxes in Portland.

Doing a traceroute back to the default gateway, 50.53.170.1, I get the following traceroute. (1-3 have been removed for my privacy).

4 ge-11-0-3.mpr2.pdx1.us.above.net (64.125.188.137) 0.593 ms 0.591 ms 0.581 ms
5 xe-1-0-0.mpr1.pdx1.us.above.net (64.125.30.165) 21.914 ms 21.915 ms 21.904 ms
6 xe-1-3-0.mpr1.sea1.us.above.net (64.125.30.154) 4.625 ms 4.409 ms 4.446 ms
7 six.frontiernet.net (206.81.80.75) 4.602 ms 4.749 ms 4.738 ms
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *

So my question is, is all of Frontier down for the northwest as it seems it stops at their Seattle Internet Exchange peering point? Seems like this has been going on for 5 1/2 hours now.... Thoughts? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? *shrug*

Intoxicoded

join:2011-05-02
USA
kudos:2
My regular frontier connection in wv is working fine. must be a fios or local issue

Td014

@mycingular.net
reply to ejbvanc
Still down in Camas, WA.

ejbvanc

@mycingular.net
reply to ejbvanc
Frontier Live Chat: The information I have is : a circuit from GWR WSHGWAXA02W to the LCR (Lata Core Router) is down, ISIS is working to restore services as soon as possible.

rifleman69

join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR
reply to ejbvanc
Up here in Beaverton.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to ejbvanc
Fine out in Forest Grove (I'm actually remoted in to post this )

Lost Dog

join:2005-11-27
Camas, WA
reply to ejbvanc
As far as I can tell it's still down in Camas. We have VOIP at home and calls still roll over to my fallback number. I don't know if a modem reboot would help or not but I can't do that until I'm home from work...

nutesla

@tmodns.net
reply to ejbvanc
FiOS still down in Washougal, down since 7PM PDT last night. Frontier has no ETA, thank goodness for Android Tethers

klipko

join:2006-06-28
Portland, OR
reply to ejbvanc
Working from home today and had no interruptions in service today (Tigard).

Schnibly

@spcsdns.net
reply to nutesla
Yep, still down in Camas!!

Relic Fox

@frontiernet.net
reply to ejbvanc
Still down in Washougal, WA. Not good for Home business and Home school that need the internet.

ejbvanc

@mycingular.net
reply to nutesla
said by nutesla :

FiOS still down in Washougal, down since 7PM PDT last night. Frontier has no ETA, thank goodness for Android Tethers

Yeah I'm doing the same right now on my iPhone....

ejbvanc

@mycingular.net
reply to ejbvanc
Yeah at this point it seems to be effecting only parts of the Camas area & Washougal. Probably anyone that would have had a phone number starting with 360835 or 360335.

It's really pretty sad, Frontier pushes DSL & DirectTV more than they do FiOS.... I don't want to have to do this... but I'm getting to the point with the latency spikes that I'm going to have to switch to Comcast I think....

*sigh*.... *cry*....

LOL

Also... Washougal's bridge head I think is just pretty poorly implimented... I don't do anything to flood my pipe (bit torrent or anything else) and these pings starting at midnight going until about noon are always spiking.... 100ms with 100ms deviations.... TO THE FIRST HOP.... VoIP = sucks during these periods and when you work from home...

ejbvanc

join:2012-04-05
Washougal, WA
reply to ejbvanc
I just got an email back to an email I sent to a Frontier SVP/GM. Here is the pertinent parts... No ETA, but not a fiber a cut.

"First, let me apologize for the outage. Our techs, and necessary vendors, are working hard on resolving. I am also listening in on the live conference bridge as they continue to troubleshoot. Let me assure you that this is escalated to the highest levels.

[...]

I do not yet have an eta on correcting the outage. It is not a fiber cut, so it is my expectation that once they troubleshoot the cause, it will be a quick fix (replace or reset a network card for example)."

Camas_res

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to Relic Fox
The estimated down time per their tech support is till 5:00 AM 04/05/12.

That means 34hrs of downtime.

ejbvanc

Washougal, WA
said by Camas_res :

You think they'll cover my tethering data usage?

Lost Dog

Camas, WA
reply to ejbvanc
I had it go down on Monday I believe as well. I was told I was the first person to report it (I called in the morning). That evening it was still out and after a long call (and rebooting everything and resetting my modem to stock) they finally discovered an issue between the head and me (not sure what that meant). They got it working as I was on the phone.

Last night it died again and I'm still out...

Lost Dog

Camas, WA
reply to ejbvanc
Wait a minute! It's 2:15pm and I seem to be back up!

rifleman69

join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR
reply to ejbvanc
said by ejbvanc:

said by Camas_res :

You think they'll cover my tethering data usage?

Nope since you still have dialup access through Frontier, or did Frontier drop that when they took over?

ejbvanc

Washougal, WA
reply to ejbvanc
Response by the SVP/GM:

"Services should be back up. Software issue in the router. Will be conducting root cause analysis to determine what triggered it.

I will begin looking into your latency issue later this afternoon. Highly doubtful that the software issue was causing that as well."

As soon as I left to go to my office and I saw three trucks driving back from Camas, I knew they had just fixed it... only reason I went in today is to cut checks for my employees and low and behold.... they fix it LOL. Oh well.

Just glad it's back up and running.

nutesla

@frontiernet.net
reply to ejbvanc
FiOS is back up in Washougal since just before 3PM PDT. Will we ever really know the reason? I figure 20 hours of downtime. In the last 6 months that 99.5% up time, not even 3 9's of availability, pretty shabby.

Silverfios

@myvzw.com
Fios Internet down on Everett. Been in hold with tech support for about 15 minutes. No answer yet.

AJB

@scansafe.net
Internet is down here in Mill Creek, WA

nutesla

join:2012-04-07
Washougal, WA
reply to ejbvanc
Down in Washougal as well, and no answers on support, just lovely MoH...

nutesla

@tmodns.net
reply to Silverfios
FiOS down in Washougal, WA since early this AM, no reports from Frontier of an outage, but they are not answering any questions anyway. I was told to call 877.600.1511.

othermark

join:2003-07-12
Everett, WA
reply to AJB
Yep (Everett wa) down for quite some time now. Thought my gateway had died at first. At around 2pm I got a new lease for a completey different network than I was on. It worked until a few hours ago. Then you can get a lease and the gateway responds to ARP, but no unicast traffic is handled. Not even unicast dhcp requests to refresh the lease. Once in a long while. I'll see a stray packet on the tcpdump come in from outside.

Got through to support who stated "I am showing an outage in your area. If it's still down on Monday give us a call!"
--
othermark

(!wired) ? (coffee++) : (wired);

nutesla

Washougal, WA
reply to ejbvanc
FiOS Tech Support is saying this outage is a continuation of Thursday's fiber cut in SW Washington, but they're being tight lipped and not giving any details. My daughter in the same city with Frontier was down earlier and is now back online, watching NetFlix, go figure! The Internet light is still orange on my modem, and restarts don't help of course. Every once in a awhile it goes green then goes off and then back on orange, so I don't think anything is happening anywhere near here (Washougal)

othermark

join:2003-07-12
Everett, WA
reply to ejbvanc
My logs show that about 7:10am it came back up. Total down for me was 5:51pm - 7:10am. Still on the totally different network, so I suspect around 2pm yesterday they were trying to avoid, go around something or it was an automatic failover that went bad.
--
othermark
(!wired) ? (coffee++) : (wired);

Nite Rider

join:2002-10-13
Lynnwood, WA
My internet is kind of hit and miss today in Lynnwood, WA.
Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes packet loss.
Not sure if it is related though...

nutesla

Washougal, WA
reply to ejbvanc
Finally back online in Washougal, WA after three days of nothing. I am just thankful to be back online, more or less, as like others, I too have noticed its a bit dicey still.