SychoSly
Scoot the World
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
Mount Prospect, IL

SychoSly

Premium Member

[hard drive] Mounting a 1.8" SSD into a Desktop 5.25 Enclosure

Can anyone provide assistance for the problem I have. I received a 1.8" SSD Drive and would like to get it mounted in a 5.25 enclosure. Is there an enclosure that I can put the 1.8" drive to make it a 2.5 or 3.5 in size and then get that mounted?

My computer has a spot for only 2 x 3.5 HDDs and those are both used.

Thanks.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Re: [hard drive] Mounting a 1.8" SSD into a Desktop 5.25 En

What I've done before was to take an old CD-ROM, gut the insides and use the sheet metal. I'd mount the smaller devices onto the sheet metal (using rubber grommets to minimize transmitted vibration). And then the device mounts perfectly into a 5.25 inch slot.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

1 recommendation

Raible to SychoSly

to SychoSly
Get a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter and then have room for a second SSD in the future?

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf to SychoSly

Anon

to SychoSly
There shouldn't be much of anything on the drive that can be shorted. It doesn't matter how the ssd is oriented in the case. It shouldn't produce all that much heat. You really don't have to mount it anywhere. You could just take some electrical tape and tape it up somewhere in the case(such as the bottom) or in the 5 1/4" cage, just to make sure it doesn't flop around if the machine is moved. I wouldn't cover it completely in tape but you don't have to be very fussy about it.
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno to SychoSly

to SychoSly
Be careful. Your 1.8" SSD drive will most likely come equipped with a micro SATA connector. This is not compatible with normal SATA connectors. You will need a micro SATA to SATA adapter.

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy to SychoSly

Premium Member

to SychoSly
You also can use Velcro to mount it anywhere. I've done this with 2.5" drives. Works well, and can easily be removed.

Freddy

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz to SychoSly

Premium Member

to SychoSly
Zip ties FTW!