Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

1 edit

timcuth

Premium Member

[ipv6] [SOLVED] How to get IPv6 connectivity with Sabayon (Gentoo)?

I have played with quite a few Linux distros over the past several months, and until now all of them have automagically gotten IPv6 connectivity. But not Sabayon, a variant of Gentoo. I have asked about this in the Sabayon IRC channel and received no response, not even a quick, "Kiss my *&^."

It is not terribly important, but I would like to get it doing the things my other distros do. Does anyone have any idea what it takes?

Also, when I was installing, I did see a quickly scrolling message that said something about the kernel not being configured to accept router advertisements. That seems to be a solid clue.

Tim

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

Re: [ipv6] How to get IPv6 connectivity with Sabayon (Gentoo)?

What are you running on your LAN? SLAAC, DHCPv6, both?

I'd also make sure your kernel has IPv6 support and make sure your network scripts are set to config it.
modprobe ipv6
#/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth

Premium Member

On my LAN? I'm not sure. I used to try to configure the LAN connections for IPv6 and it usually didn't work. Then, I found that they did work if I just didn't do anything to them. In Ubuntu, if I edit my network connection and select the IPv6 tab, it just has Method: Automatic and the check box for "Require IPv6 addressing for this connection to complete" is not checked. And it works, perfectly. This Ubuntu installation was a fresh install just last week and I have not touched anything to do with IPv6, anywhere.

I will see what happens on Sabayon with the modprobe and the sysconfig.

Thanks,
Tim
timcuth

timcuth

Premium Member

The modprobe command ran without error or any feedback.

I found a Gentoo article that said to run this to see if IPv6 was active:

ip -6 addr show lo
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

The above result was what to expect if IPv6 is active. I read another article that stated it is no longer possible to disable IPv6 in Gentoo. This article was dated Jan, 2012.

However, a ping6 to a known v6 site responds, "connect: Network is unreachable". I had to install a package to get the ip command. My Sabayon system does not have a dig command, and I do not know what package to install to get it.

This ain't Ubuntu!

Tim
timcuth

timcuth

Premium Member

Here's the problem:

»blog.quux.de/?p=1418

Yes, as this article says, ip6tables is dropping everything! Now, I need to figure out a reasonable rule set.

Tim
timcuth

1 recommendation

timcuth

Premium Member

Fixed. The correction was simple, once I found it.

Edited /etc/default/ufw. Changed IPV6=no to IPV6=yes. Disabled, then enabled ufw.

Tim