Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

[SU] Java for OS X 2012-002

Yes, this is a new update just a couple days after the last one. It's not clear what's different, but given the brouhaha over the Java vulnerabilities, I'd say it's probably important.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

I Just read a white paper about it. This dust up seems to be over the Oracle Java. The paper also points fingers at Adobe, which doesn't seem to work with Safari and OSX 10.7.3.. Yeah, I have a new Lion server with Safari and a failed Adobe Flashplayer.

Apparently 2011 was a bad year to buy Apple products. .
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

said by linicx:

Well, that's a stretch.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by bobrk:

said by linicx:

Well, that's a stretch.

Not if you discovered how the Nano works on a Mac.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to bobrk

Let me rephrase that bobrk. 2011 was a bad year for me to buy Apple products.

It has been nearly a year since I bought the iPhone. ITunes has had it and my last gift card money ($25) tied up for six months. I cannot use iTunes. I don't care about the money as much as I care about the fact I am paying Apple $30 a month for a service I cannot use.

Sadly Apple is the only phone manufacturer in the universe that considered how people see or do not see when Jobs created the iPhone. As someone who falls in the latter category it is a Godsend. Unfortunately it is away too expensive for a service that fails consistently on my iPhone.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Completely derailing the thread, but what are you paying iTunes $30/month for exactly?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

According to Verizon I am paying Apple $30 per month to access iTunes, access the web, act. The other $70 goes to Verizon for text, talk, camera and taxes.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Whoever told you that is very mistaken. The Data fee (if that's the $30 you're talking about) is mostly profit for Verizon. Apple only makes money on the initial purchase, not the service.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

...and they charge $30 for data plans on non-Apple VZW devices as well (e.g. Android devices like Droid 4)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to linicx

Td is correct. Apple sells the phone only. Verizon DOES subsidize the purchase of the phone just as they do Android phones. The real cost of the phone is north of $500 but Verizon pays Apple up front and then recoups the loss through ongoing monthly fees but this is true for all advanced smartphones and there is no specific portion of the fee that Verizon uses to recoup the initial loss on the sale of iPhones, Windows Phones, and Android phones.

To be clear there is no cost to access iTunes. iTunes is simply a "store", media player and syncing application, there is no monthly fee.

It is Verizon who charges the monthly fees for talk, text, data and taxes.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

If this is true then Verizon is charging a $100 for nothing. The phone has not worked correctly since day one - but that is another story for another time.
--

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

I should have said it makes no difference. I cannot use iTunes for anything.. not even for a free download.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to linicx

Why don't you go into a Verizon store and get it "fixed" since it is Verizon that is giving you the problems?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

I wish. Verizon says its an iTunes problem. And unless something has changed, Verizon can't fix anything on the iPhone. It is verboten. My nearest Apple Store is 200 miles.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

If you want to get it working quickly, start a new thread in the forum about the exact problems and we can help you work through it step by step to get it working. The good thing about iPhone is it's a very simple setup. If it isn't working, there is some silly minor cause stopping it. So long as you are still a subscriber to VZW you should be able to just plug the phone into the PC with the supplied USB cable and let it sync. Worst case is resetting the phone back to defaults and uninstalling-reinstalling iTunes. But a new thread can get your problem solved in a jiffy.

As far as the Apple store, Apple does have excellent phone support and they can similarly walk you through steps to get the phone back working despite Verizon's feet dragging and finger pointing.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

It is not a question of connecting to a computer or calling Apple. It has been an iTunes gift card issue for over a year. It takes hours to get iTunes to accept the gift cards it promotes. The last was $25. My computer crashed so I bought a new Mac last FALL. I finally got iTunes to take the $25. My current balance is $25.91. I do not use the iTunes feature frequently. So, 2-3 weeks ago I try to use iTunes and I am informed I have to re-enter the 15 characters on the gift card to use it. I recycled the plastic gift card last fall. For all I know it is a bloody damned doorknob somewhere. I traded the phone off today for a Casio flip with GMS and CDMA. My contract is up in less than one year. Maybe by next year iTunes will have it fixed but right now I have absolutely no confidence in Apple's iTunes ever working correctly where I live in rural America.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

So what does that have to do with your phone or Verizon? iTunes store has nothing to do with the function of the phone or Verizon nor does it have anything to do with the $30/mo in 3G fees you pay Verizon. You don't need any "gift card" or balance in the iTunes store to use the phone or its data plan.

You can use the phone all you want along with iTunes. The gift card issue is a separate one that can be easily resolved by contacting the iTunes store support.. Select iTunes cards and codes and give a detailed description of the gift card code request issue in the "details about issue" box. This has nothing to do with the phone or Verizon. The ONLY money going to "iTunes" is for music, movies, apps, books and other MEDIA and is 100% optional. There are plenty of free apps in the App Store for example and you can rip your own CDs into iTunes for syncing to the phone. None of that money you can spend in the iTunes store is for any phone related or "iTunes service".

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Please do not tell me about something you have not experienced. This is not a one time event. This has been an ongoing problem since I bought the iPhone over one year ago. And yes during this time I have spent hours with Apple during which time the phone has been reset several times trying to fix an iTunes PROBLEM.

I also spent way too much time trying to interact with someone other than an trained monkey. Receiving one more copy of the standard Apple iTunes reply I memorized nine months ago from someone who does not understand American English is a waste of my time. It is a standard ploy used by large companies to get rid of small problems they create.

The bottom line is Apple has my $25.91 balance from gift cards plus the $11.99 for a book I purchased thru iTunes that I cannot read.

For your edification I cannot download ANYTHING when the iTunes store is locked and neither can you. And yes I have Apple Care. They will repair or replace a Mac server a lot faster than they will the pita products they sold to retailers like Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and Walmart.
--

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

If you call Apple, they'll (usually) resolve any billing issues with respect to gift cards, if not, ask for a supervisor and they'll (usually) help. They have phenomenal customer support and will bend over backwards to appease a customer. Calling is always the best recourse.
As far as fixing things, I've purchased items from non-Apple Store outlets (Verizon for the iPhone and B&H for the laptop) and never seen them discriminate. If it's their product, they'll fix it. If you have a problem ask for a store manager or call customer support.
I've never seen a company more interested in pleasing customers than this one. My friend got a new laptop after complaining about a store employee who gave him a flip answer...when he asked what he could do to upgrade his son's computer so he could play some game, the employee said "it's a brick". My friend wrote Apple to complain and they apologized with a new MacBook.
If you're not satisfied with any aspect of your product, just dial 800-275-2273

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Apparently you do not read American English. I am so sorry. Verizon CANNOT repair iPhone. Apple store is my friend if I want to WALK 400 miles; I don't. After 13 months I am tired of it. The phone is gone like the wind. I don't think any phone is worth $3000.
--

haroldo

united state

No need to insult. I said CALL Apple. If you need a repair, send it to them (they'll pay postage). In American English I even typed the phone number for you.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

I said you did not read anything I wrote. Why would I call Apple when [1] Apple Tech CANNOT, CAN NOT, touch iTunes, and [2] I've already WASTED 40 HOURS WITH APPLE AND [3] I A HAVE ALREADY WASTED ANOTHER 30 HOURS WITH ITUNES.

SURELY YOU JEST??? YOU CALL APPLE AND WASTE YOUR TIME.
--

haroldo

united state

Phone support will deal with iTunes. They did with me. No need to be caustic. Few will want to offer help to someone who is obnoxious.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

I am sorry I do not believe you. I have nothing else to say to you. Thank you for your time.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to linicx

Apparently you do not read American English...I'll say it again.

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH VERIZON
It has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR iPHONE
It has NOTHING TO DO WITH iTUNES SOFTWARE.

It's a gift card issue and I gave you the link to email support along with the instruction to click on the Gift Cards issues drop down.

But in actuality it appears to be more a YOU problem than anything else. You could EASILY resolve this problem if you actually wanted to, but evidently you would rather complain about it than take a few minutes to fix it. Ra helps those who help themselves.