uniqs

dliw
Premium Member
join:2003-03-09
Elsewhere

dliw

Premium Member

[XPHome] Microsoft SyncToy question

Using SyncToy set to "Echo" for a number of different folders. My question is whether or not there is a separate folder for the registry? And if so, where is it located?

Thank You in advance.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

Oregonian

Premium Member

From "Technical Notes on SyncToy" in SyncToy Help:

•SyncToy uses the following folder to store data used to facilitate synchronization operations: On Windows Vista: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\, On Windows XP: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\"
•The SyncToyDirPairs.bin file is used to store data describing the folder pairs that have been created with the local instance of SyncToy.
•At the root of each of the folders associated with a folder pair is a marker file with the following naming convention: SyncToy_[ID].dat. ID is a unique identifier to allow SyncToy to locate each root folder being synchronized. The marker files are used to enable the dynamic drive letter assignment feature.
•SyncToy does not allow editing of the left or right folder in a folder pair because changing either path invalidates the stored snapshot and disables -- for the next run at least -- many of SyncToy's most important features.

dliw
Premium Member
Elsewhere

dliw

Premium Member

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation of SyncToy. I use the "Echo" mode in order to modify the files on the Left "C" which then are changed on the Right "D" side.

However, my question was about the Registry. Is there a separate folder containing the Registry and if so where is it? If not, is there a way for me to use the SyncToy in the "Echo" mode so that changes in the Registry on the Left "C" are reflected on the Right "D".

Thank you.
JRosenfeld
join:2005-06-06
UK

1 recommendation

JRosenfeld

In XP the registry hives are stored at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

However if you want to back up the registry I recommend you use (free) ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

Oregonian to dliw

Premium Member

to dliw
Sorry, I was thinking that you meant the SyncToy data file. I know you said registry but it just didn't click to me that you meant the Windows registry.

dliw
Premium Member
Elsewhere

dliw to JRosenfeld

Premium Member

to JRosenfeld
said by JRosenfeld:

In XP the registry hives are stored at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

However if you want to back up the registry I recommend you use (free) ERUNT

Thank you. Forgot about that program.
dliw

1 recommendation

dliw to Oregonian

Premium Member

to Oregonian
said by Oregonian:

Sorry, I was thinking that you meant the SyncToy data file. I know you said registry but it just didn't click to me that you meant the Windows registry.

No problem my friend. I appreciated your reply.