uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

[IPv6] Comcast and Cisco Grade the Industry on IPv6 Readiness

A video report on the Cisco blog / LR Cable site on the cable industry's IPv6 readiness:

An "A" or an "F"? Comcast and Cisco Grade the Cable Industry on IPv6 Readiness
By Stephen Liu, Senior Manager, Service Provider Marketing for Routing and Switching
Cisco - April 5, 2012
»blogs.cisco.com/sp/an-a-or-an-f-···eadiness

"For many students, this time of the year marks “Spring Break”. (Ah, just the thought of this brings back fun memories…) However, once you get past the stereotypical party imagery, it really is a time of assessment. Mid-term exams complete and we ask ourselves what we need to do to achieve that final grade. Service providers find themselves in similar circumstance with the IPv6 subject as World IPv6 “graduation” day quickly approaches in June.

At the March 20th Light Reading Cable event in Denver, two pioneers in the IPv6 field – our own Fred Baker, a Cisco Fellow and IETF Chair, and John Brzozowski, Chief IPv6 Architect at Comcast — talk candidly about the benefits of IPv6, beyond address widening; how operators are doing, in terms of the upcoming launch; and what happens post-transition. Fred also handles one he hears a lot “When is IPv6 going to be done? Because I'll deploy it then…”

How are cable operators, in terms of launch? Is it possible to cram a whole semester's worth of IPv6 learning into an all-nighter? (You know the type.) Comcast's Brzozowski, who has been working on this transition for over seven years gives Comcast high marks in effort and technology, but notes that other providers face different starting conditions. (For Fred's answer - you'll have to watch the Light Reading cable video: »www.lightreading.com/video.asp?doc_id=219191 )

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

Re: [IPv6] Comcast and Cisco Grade the Industry on IPv6 Readines

From today's cable news round-up item on the Light Reading Cable site:

By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - April 12, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

"Comcast Corp.'s aggressive IPv6 migration continued this week with word that it has moved two of its major portal sites -- Xfinity (the MSO's main customer site) and Xfinity TV (its TV Everywhere hub) -- and the Comcast customer support forum to the new Internet addressing scheme. Comcast said it made the "critical move" in tandem with its content delivery network vendor, Akamai Technologies Inc., and is preparing to add support for native IPv6 for all its other key websites. (See Cable Giants Get Aggressive on IPv6 »www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable .)"

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
Another good article, with lots of details, on Comcast's IPv6 support for residential customers:

Comcast is first U.S. ISP to offer IPv6 to home gateway users
New service shows how home gateway vendors are improving support for next-gen Internet
By Carolyn Duffy Marsan, Network World - April 12, 2012
»www.networkworld.com/news/2012/0···215.html

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
Until I start seeing actual IPv6 addresses rolled out to more then 2 cities (both of which are not on New Jersey by the way) I'm going to be cranky and claim this is just fluff.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Mike Wolf:

I'm going to be cranky

LOL!

I see RAs on my link coming from Comcast but not DHCPv6 response. I'm going to be super cranky as they're already halfway there.

Cranky involves me pushing more 6in4 traffic until someone looks at the netflows and says "I think we should probably give him native."

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
lol same here, if only I knew how to do that.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to telcodad

(topic move) [IPv6] Comcast recommended IPv6 Gateways

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[IPv6] Comcast recommended IPv6 Gateways

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

Re: [IPv6] Comcast and Cisco Grade the Industry on IPv6 Readines

FYI - For users of Apple computers and OS, there is an article on the Network World site today about Apple's (lack of) support for IPv6:

Apple under fire for backing off IPv6 support
IPv6 proponents slam AirPort Utility v6.0 for removing support for next-gen Internet protocol
By Carolyn Duffy Marsan, Network World - April 13, 2012
»www.networkworld.com/news/2012/0···241.html

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 recommendation

Now that surprises me because I thought that company would be on the frontline of forward thinking support.