how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wizkid6

join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

[Services] Any speeds faster than 6meg?

I live in an upgraded market that was not part of the U-verse upgrade. It does not even have an IP-DSLAM. My line stats are:

quote:
Downstream
Rate: 8124
Max1: 21573
Max2: 20697
Max3: 20697
Mgn1: 30.7
Mgn2: 29.4
Attn: 22.0
Pwr: 19.0
CRCs: 101
FECs: 0
INP: 0.00
DLY: 0.08

Upstream
Rate: 510
Max: 1255
Attn: 1.8
Pwr: -1.2
CRCs: 6
FECs: 0

Based on those stats, I think I could get 18/1 if provisioned.

Also, why don't they allow the max rate for those on 6meg? That's just stupid.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
I think there are a few issues that might restrict the allowable speeds. One is that AT&T management may think that by not allowing higher speeds that might be highly variable, they will ensure consistent speeds and a good overall customer experience. They certainly did not get that result nationwide.

Another possible reason is the creation of a nationally branded product that is the same for all of AT&T's DSL deployment area. The Arby's Large Roast Beef sandwich you get in Seattle, WA is supposed to be the same as the one you get in Atlanta, GA. The Arby's menu in Seattle is supposed to be the same as the one in Atlanta. The same thing can apply to telecommunications companies. Marketing departments like simple, easy to deploy product menus for national advertising campaigns. 1.5, 3.0, and 6.0 download speed tiers are nice easy numbers to use in a national ad campaign. Fast, faster, and fastest.

Another reason could be that they have not come to terms with their own ending of Uverse deployments. After all, if everyone was going to get Uverse, why deal with more ADSL speed tiers, some of which would offer much faster speeds than 6.0? Another issue was that if you offered speeds up to the theoretical limit of ADSL, 24Mbps down I think, you would be giving a disincentive to customers to switch to Uverse. AT&T management may reconsider that strategy once ALL Uverse new deployments have truly ended. Unleashing the ADSL system may help them keep customers who would normally go to cable for higher speeds. Adding in up to 12.0 Mbps, up to 18.0Mbps and up to 24.0 Mbps tiers could keep customers and profits.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
And of course, we should not forget their ultimate goal of fixed LTE service for all non-mobile customers. No more copper wire maintenance...non-union outsourced workers...higher prices for the service...lower data caps with higher overage charges.

Once LTE is established in all of their larger markets, I can easily foresee all data, TV, and voice service being sold to new (or upgrade) customers using fixed LTE, and a forced migration following not that far behind.

In the not very distant future, the only wireline services provided by AT&T will be in low population density rural communities (the ones that still don't even have aDSL service for most of the area, or 3G wireless service either), and that will only be until AT&T can arrange to be relieved of regulatory requirements by finding a buyer to take over the wireline services.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
LTE doesn't even come close to being a replacement for wired services.

Especially with 2/4GB caps. You can use that much just watching ONE MOVIE.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by SpottedCat:

LTE doesn't even come close to being a replacement for wired services.

Especially with 2/4GB caps. You can use that much just watching ONE MOVIE.

Actually, LTE is already faster than any DSL service offered by AT&T, and it is capable of offering the speeds used by U-verse, especially for a fixed service which can use high gain directional antennas.

As for the caps (Verizon's fixed LTE caps are 10-30GB, and AT&T's would probably be similar), the profit from overages is part of the strategy (you must not have much experience with AT&T).
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

hyphenated

@bellsouth.net
why cant we just run fiber everywhere and be done? I know its not as durable etc for the field. This wireless crap is horrid. 6 meg is really ok for home especially but I believe within the next 5-10 years you would really need more. I mean right now for home use, you don't have anything that "has to have" that much speed, its all leisure past that. And what about wireless signal interference, talk about troubleshooting. And why are T1, bonded etc still so expensive? There are more options.

Oh, and LTE sucks.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
A properly installed fiber optic system is just as long lasting as a properly installed coaxial cable or twisted pair copper wire system. Some fiber systems have expected lifetimes double or triple what the other two offer. The main reason for a lack of a far reaching fiber optic system is cost. A few nations have been willing to raise taxes to subsidize the building of far reaching internet fiber optic systems. The USA is not one of those nations at this time. We have elected Congresses that prefer to mostly let the private sector deal with the internet access issue. Other countries have also done more to promote ISP creation and competition than the USA has.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to hyphenated
said by hyphenated :

why cant we just run fiber everywhere and be done? I know its not as durable etc for the field. This wireless crap is horrid. 6 meg is really ok for home especially but I believe within the next 5-10 years you would really need more. I mean right now for home use, you don't have anything that "has to have" that much speed, its all leisure past that. And what about wireless signal interference, talk about troubleshooting. And why are T1, bonded etc still so expensive? There are more options.

Oh, and LTE sucks.

Hey, I am not suggesting that anyone drop wired DSL or U-verse and get fixed LTE. I am just reporting on what is pretty obviously AT&T's game plan. AT&T management has publicly announced that DSL is a dead end product (and wired U-verse is DSL). ADSL expansion is halted, U-verse expansion is halted, but wireless (both LTE and WiFi) is expanding.
--