Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er

Re: [Speed] Got my HSI rate increase notice, how slow is Economy

said by gar187er:

16% increase in a year, but before that the price NEVER increased....

I agree with gar, the price increase shouldn't have happened, because it never happened before.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er

said by C_Chipperson:

said by gar187er:

I agree with gar, the price increase shouldn't have happened, because it never happened before.

then you dont really agree with me....point was that for 10-15 years it never increased....while speeds got faster, new equipment had to bought (modems, fiber tx/rx, CMTS upgrades), yet [rices never changed....now price gets bumped $7.00 in a year....cmts cards aint cheap ($25,000+)....someone has to help foot the bill...comcast is a for profit company, and you cant make a buck if you keep spending more then you bring in....
ddrant
join:2010-03-02
Womelsdorf, PA

ddrant

I highly doubt Comcast is spending more than they take in..... they know they have my area hostage (Verizon DSL service stops 3 miles south of my location). There are no realistic alternative options for high speed internet.

And it's not like I've asked for or wanted the speed upgrades, especially with the 250GB soft ceiling. If I had wanted more speed, I would have rather had the option to pay more for the speed. It's as bad as the cell companies, "hey we've upgraded our service so you can hit your cap in half the time now!" It's one of the main reasons I have Sprint as my cell provider because unlimited data is there when I need it, even though my regular usage isn't that much, I have only really used around 300mb of data 2 weeks into my month and it's cheaper to boot (and it meets my needs coverage wise).

Comcast doesn't even list Performance Starter on the price sheet they sent me so I'll have to call to see if it's even available in my area, they just note that they are discontinuing Economy service and have Economy Plus at $29.99, Performance at $49.99 and the higher tiers above that.

My point is, through such a sudden increase, especially in this economy, they are going to end up losing overall revenue from me because I'm either going to scale back my services to negate the price increases, (basic cable is going up $1.40 and Digital Starter is going up $4.00), or "cut the cable TV cord" entirely and go elsewhere for my TV business since there are reasonable alternatives in that area. Don't even get me started on the stupid Comcast $9.99 "HD technology fee" for HDTV when Dish and Direct give it away for free.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
It's not as if Comcast went on a spending spree to upgrade our services just to be nice. Advances in technology have given us better performance, but this has also allowed Comcast to save money. Unless you have the numbers showing the percentage that Comcast is spending compared to their profits, it is quite possible that they are making a lot more money than before and could very easily pass on a share of those savings to the customers. Although, it would help if there was legitimate competition where pricing could be set by consumer demand, but that does not exist in this type of industry.

We only know part of the story.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to ddrant

to ddrant
said by ddrant:

I highly doubt Comcast is spending more than they take in..... they know they have my area hostage (Verizon DSL service stops 3 miles south of my location). There are no realistic alternative options for high speed internet.

And it's not like I've asked for or wanted the speed upgrades, especially with the 250GB soft ceiling. If I had wanted more speed, I would have rather had the option to pay more for the speed. It's as bad as the cell companies, "hey we've upgraded our service so you can hit your cap in half the time now!" It's one of the main reasons I have Sprint as my cell provider because unlimited data is there when I need it, even though my regular usage isn't that much, I have only really used around 300mb of data 2 weeks into my month and it's cheaper to boot (and it meets my needs coverage wise).

Comcast doesn't even list Performance Starter on the price sheet they sent me so I'll have to call to see if it's even available in my area, they just note that they are discontinuing Economy service and have Economy Plus at $29.99, Performance at $49.99 and the higher tiers above that.

My point is, through such a sudden increase, especially in this economy, they are going to end up losing overall revenue from me because I'm either going to scale back my services to negate the price increases, (basic cable is going up $1.40 and Digital Starter is going up $4.00), or "cut the cable TV cord" entirely and go elsewhere for my TV business since there are reasonable alternatives in that area. Don't even get me started on the stupid Comcast $9.99 "HD technology fee" for HDTV when Dish and Direct give it away for free.

you cant offer new speeds to elect customers without upgrading everything....and you cant comare it to cell companies, cause normall people are watching HD movies on their phones, but we are in our houses through amazon, netflix, roku, etc....so the speed is needed or else youd be watching SD movies/shows....

also dish/dtv dont have the recurring expenses that a terrestrial provider has...so i cant side with you there either....

i will agree entertainment isnt cheap, but when you break it down, most people pay a few dollars a day for a complete home entertainment package......which doesnt sound that bad...

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad to ddrant

MVM

to ddrant
Click for full size
Click for full size
OK, I went into the Comcast "Products" page for Current Customers (»www.comcast.com/shop/buy ··· internet), put in your zip code (19567), looked under the "Faster Internet" tab and it shows these as the lowest-cost HSI choices for your area currently.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Those look like the non-bundled prices.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by andyross:

Those look like the non-bundled prices.

Whoops! You're correct, somehow I ended up under the "New Customers" area when I captured those.

The "Current Customers" prices show:

Economy Internet Service - $26.95/mo
Performance Starter - $49.95/mo
Performance - $45.95/mo

As can be seen, the Performance price shown is the old (current) one.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to ddrant

Premium Member

to ddrant
You may feel like comcast is holding you hostage because verizon stops three miles down the road. But keep in mind that those of us that have verizon outside on our poles still pay them same rates as you. Not a hostage situation. sure you can look at it as a 16 percent increase in a year. But it would also be correct that its a 16 percent increase over the last 8 years. Not many things didnt increase less than 16 percent in that time with the exception of our pay checks. If you want to watch netflix in hd you will notice the speed big time. If you watch it in sd you might be able to bare it.
spookypuff66
join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

Get a Roku and cut back on cable offerings.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I have a roku and thats what i watch netflix on. hardly makes me want to cut my cable tho.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to C_Chipperson

Premium Member

to C_Chipperson
said by C_Chipperson:

said by gar187er:

He was saying it shouldn't have happened? I must have missed that part of his post?