elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Another TTC worker caught sleeping on the job

This one was a Summerhill station Wed Night. I'll admit it's a pretty dead station, the only thing worth noting is a LCBO just south of it.

AR

join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

AR

If he had a name tag, you'd find him on the Sunshine List.

But that's OK. Everyone in Canada deserves $100,000.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

the only thing worth noting is a LCBO just south of it.

Perhaps thats where this employee of the month got his sleeping medicine?

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
OMG photographing TTC employess is banned on TTC Property. Find the photographer and throw him/her in jail.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to AR

to AR
said by AR:

If he had a name tag, you'd find him on the Sunshine List.

Proof of that?
DKS

1 recommendation

DKS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
And he could have a serious medical condition. did you wake him up? Ask if he was OK? No. Damn lookee-lou took a picture.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by DKS:

And he could have a serious medical condition.

Yeah, I bet he has a mental illness too from all that boredom...

Kalford
MVM
Ontario

Kalford to DKS

MVM

to DKS
said by DKS:

And he could have a serious medical condition. did you wake him up? Ask if he was OK? No. Damn lookee-lou took a picture.

Why would it be up to Elwood wake him up?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Kalford:

said by DKS:

Ah. The "I don't give a damn about anyone" corner heard from. Why wouldn't it be, if he took the photograph?
DKS

DKS to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by DKS:

And he could have a serious medical condition.

Yeah, I bet he has a mental illness too from all that boredom...

No evidence of that, but you have no idea what meds he might be on, do you...
mekyle
join:2000-09-23
Beamsville, ON

mekyle to Kalford

to Kalford
said by Kalford:

said by DKS:

Did you completely miss the point? On the off chance he wasn't sleeping and had passed out due to a medical condition he should have tried to rouse him to see if he was ok.

But let's be honest these days he'd be dead in his chair until his replacement came in hours later. And by then have his picture on a half dozen web sites with people bitching about overpaid lazy unionized TTC workers sleeping at work.

Kalford
MVM
Ontario

1 edit

Kalford to DKS

MVM

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Kalford:

said by DKS:

Ah. The "I don't give a damn about anyone" corner heard from. Why wouldn't it be, if he took the photograph?

Elwood didn't take the photograph.

Edit Note: The latest ad hominem is duly noted. I do hope this sort of behaviour isn't a case of you practicing what you preach.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Passenger Earl Campbell snapped this photo Wednesday night of a TTC fare collector apparently napping on the job at the Summerhill station.

From
»www.torontosun.com/2012/ ··· e-at-ttc

DKS even if he had been taking any meds please ask them to move it to Back-office and not at such pace where a photo can be taken...and get ridiculed. I hope the TTC Union chief(douche) will have privacy defense rant.

Yep DSK he was meditating and not on medications.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Good, I always check these threads to see if someone caught my brother sleeping.

Mind you he has some good hiding spots to get his 8 hour nap/shift completed.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
LOL I love the pile of coins in the chute. There's some pretty honest people out there who don't even mind overpaying this guy to nap apparently.
pnjunction

1 recommendation

pnjunction to AR

Premium Member

to AR
said by AR:

Indeed. Get a grad engineering degree and perform incredibly complex tasks? Or take a nap at your public union cashier job? Who cares give them both $100,000!!!

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

no worries...with advances in technology and increased use of automation, these types of jobs will no longer exist in the not too distant future...the fare collector could be replaced by about $25,000 worth of automation/electronics...far less expensive than paying someone to sleep on the job...i worked graveyard shifts back in the days...it's boring, and i admit to nodding off a couple of times for a short time, perhaps 15 minutes at most (gas station), but i was making $4/hr, not $100k/year...the boss knew it was inevitable that at some point, you might nod off, so he simply said to lock the pumps (electronically) just in case (so someone didn't sneak up, fill up their car, then drive away).

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Don't even bother dude, trying to reason with some of these people is like talking to a brick wall.

Seriously, did none of you learn from the last guy who ended up being serious ill and dying not long after he was caught 'sleeping' on the job? A man who was otherwise a top-notch employee who ended up saving someone's life during the course of his career? Yes, how soon we all forget.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

pnjunction

Premium Member

Actually this gives me a movie idea: Weekend at Bernies TTC Collector edition. If they rig a rope to have him empty the change chute it could be more convincing than this guy.

AR

Toronto, ON

AR to DKS

to DKS
Proof?

Look this guy......just look at him! If he weren't working overtime shifts and working so hard in his chair, would he be sleeping otherwise?

And by the way, it's not been confirmed yet he's indeed sleeping. And even if he were, it's because he works just so damn hard with all those OT shifts!

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by DKS:

Don't even bother dude, trying to reason with some of these people is like talking to a brick wall.

Actually, yes, the "lookee-lou" did exactly that. Confirmed by the context posted in this thread. Something even a cursory google search would have uncovered. An assumption was made based on the photo alone. That assumption was made by DKS See Profile.

"“I knocked on the window and he moved — so I wasn’t worried about a medical emergency. I actually felt bad not paying, can you believe that?”"

As others, and even the TTC have pointed out, they will be moving to automated fare system "soon". The only reason we haven't had it for the last 20 years has been the intransigent, powerful unions representing the overpaid, completely unnecessary nappers.

When I lived in Melbourne in 1991, the city Subway/Light rail system (vastly superior to the TTC in every possible way) had a zone fare card system in place. It largely worked on the honour system. Similar to GO trains.

But curiously enough they also had automated dispensing equipment for these cards not only purchased, but already installed in all the stations. But, alas, the transit unions were holding up the whole thing.....

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

If you are so foolish as to believe that someone merely moving at the sound of someone knocking at the window rules out a medical emergency, I really really hope a family member of mine doesn't go into insulin shock and you're the only person available to provide assistance.

Did the guy wake up and talk to the people at his booth after being roused? Or - most likely - did they just walk away while the guy was still slouched over? Bunch of fucking retards.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

1 edit

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I dunno, the Metro in Montreal is "automated" yet the 3 stations I was in all had people inside booths,even though I had to get my own tickets (or tokens don't recall right now) at a machine.

AR

Toronto, ON

AR

This is Canada, it's a beautiful country.

"Efficiency" doesn't necessarily mean layoffs. It just means that the "efficiencies" lead to re-assignment of the impacted workforce to other duties.

And if God forbid, head count cuts absolutely must happen, then the worst of the worst get cut (and by golly, the fact that they lasted 30yrs is something to be grateful for!) as do the ones who're in their 60s and hoping for a bonus....I mean, severance package!

Canada --- I love it!

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

If you are so foolish as to believe that someone merely moving at the sound of someone knocking at the window rules out a medical emergency, I really really hope a family member of mine doesn't go into insulin shock and you're the only person available to provide assistance.

You do know they work in a locked booth right? So in your mind, if I see someone sleeping on the job, the first thing I should do is assume something like insulin shock and call an ambulance for them?

In the .0001% of cases where it turned out to be something serious, I guess that could, theoretically save their life. In the 99.9999% of cases where the dude was merely sleeping on the job (as, apparently, in THIS case) we spend $1000 bucks or so on an ambulance call?

However, a person like this one is going to make a judgment call. He spoke at them, the person moved, or grunted, or whatever. Is the person who did that a trained medical professional skilled in making determinations about insulin coma? Probably not.

Here's a thought. Maybe working alone overnight in a closed booth isn't the best occupation for someone with a serious medical condition like insulin-dependent diabetes?

Although as has been pointed out, the entire career of exchanging currency for small metal disks is completely unnecessary and useless in this day and age (and the previous day and age) in any case.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

You do know they work in a locked booth right? So in your mind, if I see someone sleeping on the job, the first thing I should do is assume something like insulin shock and call an ambulance for them?

Bang on the window and yell at them until you get their attention and they are able to acknowledge you're there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that. If he remains slouched over and doesn't acknowledge you, shout that you're going to call 911 and start dialing, because no person in their right mind is going to allow more attention to be brought to them if they're actually just sleeping on the job. Is that so hard?
said by Ian1:

However, a person like this one is going to make a judgment call. He spoke at them, the person moved, or grunted, or whatever. Is the person who did that a trained medical professional skilled in making determinations about insulin coma? Probably not.

Of course not, but it also doesn't take a trained medical professional to know that if your loved one is lying in their bed next to you and doesn't acknowledge you or only grunts or squirms when you poke and yell at that that something is wrong, either. This is no different, except that it would require you to extend basic human caring and compassion beyond those in your immediate circle of contacts.
said by Ian1:

Here's a thought. Maybe working alone overnight in a closed booth isn't the best occupation for someone with a serious medical condition like insulin-dependent diabetes?

... speaking of not being doctors, any work-related limitations are a matter for him, his doctor and the TTC to discuss. Just because someone has an illness or a condition doesn't mean that they should be locked up at home with nothing to do. Your views on this matter, as you are not involved in this man's life or charged with caring for people who have any sort of medical condition, is wholly irrelevant.

I dunno, call me crazy, but I worked with a guy years ago who had health issues. One day we found him slouched over on his desk, looking like to anyone would have been a simple nap at work. Turns out that his blood surgar had fallen so low that we had to call 911 and have him taken to the hospital. Had we made the same assumption that these clowns did - oh, he's just sleeping! Quick, grab a Sharpie and draw on his face! Rearrange his desk! Call the boss, get him in trouble! etc etc - he would have died and that would be the end of it. But no, that's not what we did. Instead we tried to get him to wake up. When he didn't wake up we knew something was wrong and to get medical assistance. Perhaps having experienced something similar with what could have been a terrible outcome has given me a completely different perspective on this sort of situation.

Sure, this TTC employee might have just been sleeping on the job. Then again, maybe he wasn't - just like the last guy who was caught 'sleeping' on the job, who ended up being raked through the coals over his medical condition that he eventually succumbed to shortly afterward. The person who took the picture sure as hell didn't make every effort to ensure that there was no medical emergency, despite their completely retarded to the point of negligent comments to the contrary.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Sure, this TTC employee might have just been sleeping on the job. Then again, maybe he wasn't - just like the last guy who was caught 'sleeping' on the job, who ended up being raked through the coals over his medical condition that he eventually succumbed to shortly afterward.

You are missing the entire point, if you are so sick that it causes you to fall asleep at work, WTF are you doing at work? It's not like are part timers working at a call centre with no benefits, they are paid well and have a very good benefits package.

Stay home, ask to be assigned to a booth where there is more then one person (or at the very least more traffic), Summerhill has I noted is a dead station at night).

In many cases these booth collectors are there because

They are close to retirement
Have a medical issue that prevents them from operating a TTC vehicle
Are placed there pending the results of an accident
Have a substance abuse problem that has taken them off TTC vehicles.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You yourself just said that people are assigned to booth duty due to health issues. Knowing this, many people want to continue to live as normal of a life as they can when they're ill. That includes going to work until they can no longer lift themselves out of bed.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by Gone:

Sure, this TTC employee might have just been sleeping on the job. Then again, maybe he wasn't - just like the last guy who was caught 'sleeping' on the job, who ended up being raked through the coals over his medical condition that he eventually succumbed to shortly afterward.

You are missing the entire point, if you are so sick that it causes you to fall asleep at work, WTF are you doing at work? It's not like are part timers working at a call centre with no benefits, they are paid well and have a very good benefits package.

Stay home, ask to be assigned to a booth where there is more then one person (or at the very least more traffic), Summerhill has I noted is a dead station at night).

In many cases these booth collectors are there because

They are close to retirement
Have a medical issue that prevents them from operating a TTC vehicle
Are placed there pending the results of an accident
Have a substance abuse problem that has taken them off TTC vehicles.

He already said call him crazy. So just leave at it that. And yes he is stressed out these days.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Many people want to continue to live as normal of a life as they can when they're ill. That includes going to work until they can no longer lift themselves out of bed.

And they're free to make that choice, including an analysis of any risks that might entail. For instance, if you worked alone in a locked booth, the chances of that serious illness over-coming you without help being readily available would be one of those risks.

All of this is a nice deflection from reality though.

When you hear hoof beats, are you expecting to see zebras?

The simplest explanation is that the Toronto and Provincial taxpayer paid this guy about $26 an hour to sleep in his booth. A job that not only could be done by a robot, bit could be done cheaper and better. Some people have a problem with this.

The simplest explanation, as per Occam's Razor, is usually the correct one. Until we hear that this person did indeed have some sort of medical crisis to explain it, this is merely idle speculation. And I'm pretty sure that the TTC had adequate opportunity to determine that and would have said so if that were the case here.