All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
frankie j
join:2012-04-06

frankie j to Inssomniak

to Inssomniak

Re: [Equipment] setup a small wisp

well as i said before that is a super max theres 36 spaces in the park and not all of them are home at the same time and the ap doesnt route just wireless ap which says it can hold 500 users and seeing that i have a 500 dollar cisco router that is capable of 100 users with out being wayed down this is not an issue i dont think
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by frankie j:

wireless ap which says it can hold 500 users and seeing that i have a 500 dollar cisco router that is capable of 100 users with out being wayed down this is not an issue i dont think

No single 802.11 router will handle 500 customers. That's pure BS. Don't believe anything the marketing people print on stuff.

The most you'll ever be able to connect without major issues would probably be 25 to 50, and that's assuming they all have excellent signal. Just one or two people with bad signal can ruin the throughput for EVERYONE else connected to the access point. The throughput of the entire AP may drop to only a few megs.

That's why most of us here require an externally installed antenna that has much better line of sight to the AP. The signals don't change as they move around their trailer since they will have their own wireless router inside the trailer if they want to use their own wireless devices.

Once you start letting people connect to an AP at that range, you will probably find that you won't have much capacity, and it will be difficult (if not impossible) to offer any reliable level of service.
frankie j
join:2012-04-06

frankie j

ok so i can understand that but you have to understand where im coming from we only are trying to cover 1.5 acres with a few trees not many and at the street i get 5 bars both directions of the street and in the center theres 2 aps 20ft from each other and i can walk across the street past about 6 houses and still have 3 bars im trying to give wifi to the park not the world so how many aps do u suggest and realy 25-50 per ap is plenty and that what i meant to put is 50 lol but as ive said we only have 36 spaces which arent all always full and when they are not every1 has a computer or a device to connect to the internet an most wouldnt even know how to use one are demagraphic is mostly old retirees as where we live is small pretty tourist town so if i can have 50 ppl connected to the 2 aps combined thats probaly plenty and if later we need to add more then i will
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

What state or town do you live in that is served by cable one?

They are pretty ruthless in terms of enforcing their AUP. If they find out you are reselling they will shut it down. Chances are this will happen as someone will torrent a movie and get a DMCA notice sent to cable one and they will pass it on but only after they shut the service off.

I do not suggest doing this.

frankiej
@cableone.net

frankiej

Anon

okay so seriously im sick of hearing dont do it they wont let you distrubute service for the 5 time THEY ARE ALREADY FULLY AWARE AND OKAY WITH WAT IM DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the day we order the fing service we told them are plans and they said okay heres the package you need then.
and okay you guys say i need more aps but im saying its only 300 feet, granted the trailers are metal etc. but its free f@#$ing wifi i dont care how good there signal is there not paying for it i just need to know how to cap there bandwidth why is it you PROFESIONALS keep telling me all kinds of crap and not just awnsering the question i asked thank you for those that tried to awnser the question but to all you ppl with stupid comments jack off ill figure it out my self

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

Other than poor spelling and poor grammar....
said by frankiej :

but its free f@#$ing wifi i dont care how good there signal is

You *do* need to care about signal level. A client with a poor signal level will tie up the AP with retransmissions.
said by frankiej :

why is it you PROFESIONALS keep telling me all kinds of crap and not just awnsering the question i asked

Because we *are* professionals, we ask several different kinds of questions. Simply answering your few questions leaves the more critical questions unanswered.
jim_p_price7
join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK

jim_p_price7 to frankiej

to frankiej
Wow. Okay. Well, good luck with your project man. Hope it works out for you.