how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NorCal John

join:2006-02-18
Crescent City, CA

SB5100 or Charter ISP

I'm on Charter HSI with a Motorola SB5100 modem purchased in 2005.
In the past month I've had several times when my connection was down.
3 weeks ago I was up and down; then down for about 4 days. We had a series of storms which did disrupt some service. Then Disconnecting and reconnecting both power and cable didn't fix. Talked to Charter tech support and they thought it was a line issue. Finally had a Charter tech call. He did the disconnect and reconnect and I had service. Tech blamed my modem. Showed tech the printout of the modem log and he didn't know what the errors meant.

Had an outage last night and another this morning. Now I'm copying the error logs to a spreadsheet so I can save and compare them.

This morning the error log had these errors during the outage which went away after cycling the modem:
T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
R007.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC

After getting service back and I can post, the log shows these errors:
3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:06 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:05 3-Critical U002.0 UCD invalid or channel unusable
1970-01-01 00:01:29 3-Critical R007.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC
1970-01-01 00:01:08 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:01:01 3-Critical U002.0 UCD invalid or channel unusable
1970-01-01 00:00:58 3-Critical R007.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC
1970-01-01 00:00:41 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:33 3-Critical U002.0 UCD invalid or channel unusable
1970-01-01 00:00:29 3-Critical R007.0 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC
1970-01-01 00:00:10 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:05 3-Critical U002.0 UCD invalid or channel unusable

So my question is do these errors indicate problems with my old modem or is this a Charter problem?

Trish78

@charter.com

I am not sure if I have the exact same modem as you but it is for sure a Motorola brand as well as ISP is Charter. I've been dealing with this same up and down issues and error messages the exact SAME as your's for over a month now probably. This past week has been so bad I finally called to complain. The tech support people were idiots and told me they had no clue what the error's meant and said I should call the Maker and ask them which is not my job since I am renting this equipment. Then tried to say we had to many devices hooked up to the wireless which again, is not correct. They had so many excuses all while telling me nothing. Did finally agree to send out a prem Tech which was just as clueless and he is 9 years into the job. Said he would switch out a few things and hope for the best. It's been 2 hours or so since he left and guess what? We just suffered another outage, again.. So tired of this. If you find out an answer PLEASE post. We are desperate for a fix.

Thank's,

T

Trish

NorCal John

join:2006-02-18
Crescent City, CA

I did a web search for the error messages and I found a Cisco document with the error codes based on their modems which likely are industry standard. Cisco indicates this is a connection problem somewhere. My guess is anywhere along the string from your modem to the central office (or whatever they call it; like the central office equipment for phones)

My service has stayed up for 3 days now. More wet weather on the way so maybe more trouble.

So I don't know the solution other than to bug you provider and try escalating to someone who knows more than basic cable stringing.l

kronik219

@tmodns.net

when you get online, look at the upstream channel. Now look again when it doesn't get online and gives you the upstream channel invalid code. UCD. If it's not on the same channel as when you get online, that's the issue. The cmts controls that. It's part of the security. It's an upstream channel override. Cc had trouble implementing it also. It's usually hand in hand with the new load balancing. It's a Cisco thing really.