Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

Re: This is Bob Elek with Verizon.

Not everyone has need of a smartphone, and it is not acceptable to brand them as "not advanced enough." Some indeed are but, believe it or not, many people still use phones primarily to talk; some only want occasional Internet access on the go. I happen to be one of those folks, and I am certainly not a Luddite or unsophisticated user. I could see a femto as handy when I am home and calls come in on it when I'm at home during peak, but only if it didn't use minutes. VZ, of course, just can't shake the ILEC mindset that a phone is black and hardwired to the wall, and will continue to miss the mark when it comes to understanding they need to be giving consumers what they want at prices they consider acceptable.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by DC DSL:

Not everyone has need of a smartphone, and it is not acceptable to brand them as "not advanced enough." Some indeed are but, believe it or not, many people still use phones primarily to talk; some only want occasional Internet access on the go.

Exactly.

I have over 16,000 posts on this website, and probably 10,000 of them deal with VoIP. My business and my home both use advanced VoIP services.

Yet I do NOT have a smartphone, I have no particular need for a smartphone. In fact, many of the people who do have smartphones are not so smart.

My cell phone is a refurbished Motorola W385 which was dirt cheap. My cellular service costs me about $ 7 a month using the Verizon network through PagePlus. Yes, $ 7 a month which makes me smarter than some of those smartphone users.

It is precisely because I am so heavily into VoIP that I have no use/need/interest in smartphones.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL
Verizon is a landline company. Cellco partnership is partially owned by them. Smartphones are the way of the present, and the future. By and large, people who actually use their phones have smartphones. Femtocells and Wifi callilng are for coverage at the moment, not capacity offload.

Well, even if the masses haven't figured it out yet, Ooma has set the price for home phone service at $0 plus taxes and fees.

No one I know is going to have a landline after college. They will be 100% cell. Some of them won't have cable, although I suspect they'll be missing that pretty quick.

I think VOIP will ultimately be big for business use, where having a desk phone makes sense, but for home use, land line-replacement VOIP is just a little temporary thing, 100% wireless is the true future. VOIP services like Skype are here to stay, both for international, and for computer to computer.

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314 to DC DSL

to DC DSL
I also do not have a smart phone, My cell phone is a Samsung u540 clamshell phone(think StarTrek Communicator which the phone resembles), it can receive texts and play music or take pics, all those cost extra and I like to just use the phone as a phone, but then the copper landlines in Yermo are really only good for DSL, as that's why I moved to a cell phone, I can actually hear and talk to people now, before on Verizon landlines I couldn't.