spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DeltaDart1
join:2007-12-13
Cedar Rapids, IA

DeltaDart1

Mediacom New Deal-To good to be true??

Just had a Mediacom guy show up at the door to make a sales pitch to sign up with Mediacom. I'm with another cable company and get all 3(cable,phone,internet)services and I pay roughly $130 a month total. He shot me a price for all 3 at $84.85 for THREE years!

And if I stay with them the 4th year is $104.95 and the 5th is $117.00. Now this sounds to be good to be true. Any fine print I should be aware of? Anyone else been offered this?

ZC_217
join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217

Do you have the offer in writing? Are the offers comparable? As in, the cable part, do the number of channels or offerings reasonable compared to your current provider? What about the internet speeds?

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor to DeltaDart1

to DeltaDart1
You will most likely have a contract with them, and things such as cable/phone modem rental will be extra as well as DVR or box rental, not to mention the mandatory fees. I am in a 2 year contract with Mediacom based on the prices quoted by a direct salesperson, and am happy with it, but the price will end up higher that the quote with fees and rental. I was paying about $184 per month with U-verse on their U200 package, DVR, HD, and 18Mbps. With Mediacom, I was given a $79.99 per month package with 15Mbps, phone, and family cable. Since I wanted to have a DVR box, that added $10.95 per month but that gave me access to all of the HD channel versions of the family cable channels. All in all, my bill came to about $102 per month including fees and the HD DVR. I am using my own modem for internet, so I am saving $5 per month on the modem rental fees.

My terms are a 24 month contract, and the price will go up after one year by $30, and the next year by $30 more, and then regular rate the next year. I am happy so far, it is saving me money. The only trade off is that I am not getting all of the same channels I got with UVerse, but the money savings are great, I am willing to give up some channels for it.

Just make sure you are happy with the channel selection that comes with the package, and be aware that the final price will inflate with fees and possible equipment rental prices.
caseywor

caseywor to DeltaDart1

to DeltaDart1
I will say that is a great price, but only if you are happy with the channel selection and the internet speeds. I think it represents that they are getting very aggressive on price.
DeltaDart1
Cedar Rapids, IA

DeltaDart1 to ZC_217

to ZC_217
Just checked and my choice of cable channels is pretty much the same. Phone price is the same for both. Mediacom internet speed is 12 Mbps and I just did a speed check on my computer and it was 728Kbps(upload) and 4901Kbps(download). Have no idea what these numbers mean so if you know please tell me.

I don't do any gaming but stream through Netflix and have never had a problem with my speed. Been with current company for 5 years and zero complaints. Very satisfied but the package Mediacom is offering sounds very good. It's right at a yearly savings of $600. And that's for 3 full years.

Even 5 years out it's still cheaper than what i'm paying now. I'm use to getting weekly offers from Mediacom in the mail and it's usually a 2 year deal where the first year is cheap but goes to the full price after that but have never heard of this kind of deal. Like I said,sound's to good to be true.

caseywor
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor

If the channel selection is about the same, and the phone the same, we then need to focus on the internet speeds and the reliability factor of what you have. If you are getting 4901Kbps down, 12 Mbps will be faster if you are indeed able to get that speed from Mediacom after install, in other words, it would be a potential upgrade on speed. However, that leads to satisfaction and reliability of your current provider. The biggest risk you will really be facing is whether or not Mediacom is as reliable as what you have now.
caseywor

caseywor to DeltaDart1

to DeltaDart1
I will tell you that if you switch and have any problems, MediacomChad is on here all the time and will be able to give you help if you need it.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to DeltaDart1

Premium Member

to DeltaDart1
You have the Freedom 5.0 Mb with 768k Upload. The price is $48
Mediacom 12Mb/1 is $46 regular price. I presume the modem you have is yours but if it isn't Mediacom charges a $5 per month modem fee or just get one at a BestBuy or a Staples.
The 12Mb tests out to
However, You have the phone so you could see short speeds up to 30Mb but realistically more like up to 20Mb with around 2 up max.

ZC_217
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217 to DeltaDart1

to DeltaDart1
DeltaDart,
you are basically getting 5Mbps/768Kbps it sounds like on your current speeds. Mediacom is 12Mbps/1Mbps which is faster both up and down. Mediacom is also over provisioning and you will possibly get faster speeds. Especially being in Cedar Rapids, as Mediacom has an Egress out to ATT in Cedar Rapids as well.

MediacomChad is always on this forum to help customers and ask anyone that has been around for a bit and you will see that MediacomChad is extremely helpful.

For the most part, the internet is pretty reliable. I have a family member in Iowa City and has very very few issues getting near advertised speeds before the over provisioning started.

You will not have an issue with streaming Netflix on standard 12/1 service from Mediacom.

Disclaimer about the phone service. I don't have Mediacom Phone but I have heard stories going both good and bad for it. One thing you have to remember is if your modem loses sync with the headend then you will lose phone service. But if you have sync to the headend then it is possible to have an internet outage but still have phone service.

Cedar Rapids is also a fully digital video market meaning if you have any tube style TVs you are going to have to get DTAs ($0.99/Month) for each of those TVs to get service. DTAs are about the size of a wallet and are different than DCTs (the standard set-top-boxes).
ZC_217

ZC_217 to DeltaDart1

to DeltaDart1
Oh forgot to mention, I have been seeing ad's that Mediacom is now doing a 90 day money back guarantee. So if you aren't happy with things by then, you can cancel and get your money back. Although, I'd make sure I got that in writing before committing to anything.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to DeltaDart1

to DeltaDart1
said by DeltaDart1:

Like I said,sound's to good to be true.

It may be too good to be true, then again maybe not. I am a fairly new Mediacom Internet customer. I was VERY wary of Mediacom as I was a previous customer many years ago and had horrible service at that time.

However I got a very attractive 2 year offer that I could not pass up. The clincher was a 90 day money back guarantee. See if you can get the same guarantee. It will be then be a no-brainer for you to try Mediacom.

I have been a customer now for almost 2 months and have had very satisfactory internet service from Mediacom. Maybe the Company has changed their ways?????

caseywor
Mobile, AL

caseywor to ZC_217

to ZC_217
They gave me the money back guarantee for 90 days as well. It appears that we are all in agreement that it is worth going for.

ZC_217
Des Moines, IA

ZC_217

Yeah, especially with the 90 day guarantee. If it's not to your liking in 3 months, you can cancel and get your money back. You are then not really out anything for giving it a shot.
DeltaDart1
Cedar Rapids, IA

DeltaDart1

Well I went with the Mediacom offer. It's a 2 year agreement and the cost is $84.85 plus $5 modem rental and taxes. That's what the cost will be for 2 years and if I stay with them the cost for the 3rd year is the same.

The 4th year it goes up $10 and the same with the 5th year. Also the guy said if I have to pay any termination fee with my present cable comp I go ahead and pay it and let Mediacom know what the amount is and they will write me a check for that amount.

Like I said this sounds to good to be true but it is. Maybe cable is changing there way of doing business. I will save at least $40-$45 a month for starting now. For me it's a no brainer.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

People in your city, Oskaloosa, Fairfield and others have something WE (we being Des Moines /Grinnell/ Newton) don't have and that is competition!Oof course your rates are going to be great. When the rest of us are on short 1-2 year promo's and or pay full price.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to DeltaDart1

Premium Member

to DeltaDart1
Glad you decided to choose Mediacom! If you have any questions or issues with the service, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help.