join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

4 edits

1 recommendation

47717768 (banned)

[music] Electronic dance music (EDM)

What do you think about this tune

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· uW1Fq6ZE
. The genre called Psychedelic Trance. This is true mind altering music. I call it "Party drug music".

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

Re: [music] Psychedelic tune

To my ears, I hear little difference between this and a sub-genre of "trance" music, called "progressive trance". I've had the unfortunate experience of hearing progressive trance several times while searching the internet for progressive rock streams.
Why anyone that wants to listen to psychedelic synthesized music that tends to "flow" would want that played along with a monotonous rhythm track is beyond me. I can see the attraction of each element - synthesizer, sound effects, progression of melodies and a dance track - but mixing them together is a clash that fits no state-of-mind that I'd even want to experience.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

Well all i can say is. To each it's own.

Smatchimo
Professional Genuine Image Verifier
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Walnut Creek, CA

2 edits

Smatchimo to KCrimson

Premium Member

to KCrimson
Progressive trance has much more of what you are looking for in EDM. Vocals, progressions, and other techniques are applied.

Psychedelic, Goa, and even Gabber and Hardstyle trance(s) are redundant, over driven, monotonous tracks meant to be mixed at a high rate of transition speed during massives or raves by DJ's. By mixing between songs all night long, the audience receives hours and hours of music to keep them up dancing.

To listen to individual tracks of the aforementioned all the way through each time will burn someone out faster than most music, excluding your example of progressive trance, where in most cases the producer tends to tell more of a story with the music, and can be listened to and appreciated individually.
Smatchimo

Smatchimo to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Progressive Trance:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· uarao5hM

vs

Psychedelic / Goa Trance:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

vs

Hardstyle Trance:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· DETwBfdI
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Well in my view Ferry Corsten is POP, well maybe a bit techno like.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to Smatchimo

Premium Member

to Smatchimo
said by Smatchimo:

Progressive Trance:
/ Goa Trance:
Trance:

So where would you genre this track by The Maybes?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· D-fztLIQ
Noah Vail

Noah Vail to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Way back in MY day. . .

I believe a lot of modern techo/trance can (mostly) trace itself back to artists like Klaus Schulze and Eno/Cluster.
They heavily refined the electronic-industrial music created by the German experimental artists like Kluster, Can and Faust.

Sucking up all that inspiration were post-psych guys like Tim Blake (Gong)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 8L72RNYY

and Italian prog acts like Sensations Fix

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· K3gTpRe8

(Of course everything gets traced back to John Cage in one way or another - the Nikola Tesla of 20th cent music)

I'd reckon we can thank early hip-hop/rap for all those hard, trippy beats (that were lifted from Kraftwerk).
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Re: [music] Electronic dance music (EDM)

What do you all think about Eurodance?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· h31toqX8

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· RF3L-s9Y

Smatchimo
Premium Member
Walnut Creek, CA

Smatchimo to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail

Re: [music] Psychedelic tune

Hm, im not exactly sure, as thats not my usual bag of music I listen to, but I'd have to say new wave / post rock / experimental rock. It also sounds like they use a lot of influence from the "shoegaze" era, and furthermore, reminds me of the String Cheese Incident

I'm diggin this thread, lets keep it goin :P At least until the obligatory "Electronic music is not real music" flame is brought up.
Smatchimo

Smatchimo to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
you must be somewhere over in Europe then! Which I am envious of. More of my favorite prog trance artists would be Gabriel and Dresden, Armin Van Buren, Paul Okenfold, etc., but to someone across the pond, these artists are probably mainstream!

Only until recently has EDM tried to stay out of or pop radio stations, excluding Daft Punk and maybe 2 or 3 others that have broken through the airwaves here in the states. However, now when I turn on the radio, EDM is mixed in with all sorts of pop music, from Brittany Spears to that Pittbull fella (yuck) and a wide range of rappers.
Smatchimo

Smatchimo to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Re: [music] Electronic dance music (EDM)

Meh, I think it was appropriate for the 90s lol. Thats about the most I could say for it :P

Sober
Just Say No
Premium Member
join:2003-02-24
Crack House

Sober to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
EDM goes great with MDMA

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
This is all electronikey but you can't dance to it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· wX0ogghY

Smatchimo
Premium Member
Walnut Creek, CA

Smatchimo

Premium Member

pretty good for ambient music! i dont usually like it.