spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

Charging my Smartphone on a notebook?

I have an HP Pavilion dv6433cl that USB ports but i do not see that lightning bolt symbol which means that you can charge other devices like smartphones on a notebook even when notebook if off.

Is there like a BIOS setting which I can enable this feature or not?
I tried plugging in my MP3 player as well, but does not light up. So I guess I am out of luck then.

Please help.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

To my knowledge there is no computer that output power to the USB ports when the system is shut down, turned off. Maybe when in sleep mode but not powered completely off.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR

said by Shootist:

To my knowledge there is no computer that output power to the USB ports when the system is shut down, turned off. Maybe when in sleep mode but not powered completely off.

My ThinkPad X220 does, kind of.

In the BIOS setup, under USB there is an entry called 'Always on USB Charge in Off Mode', and the description says
quote:
Enable/Disable charging iPod(R), iPhone(TM) or BlackBerry(R) smartphone during hibernation mode or turned off
[Disabled] Disables charging during hibernation mode or turned off.
[Enable] Enables charging during hibernation mode or turned off.

The on-line help says
quote:
Enable Always On USB

When the Enable Always On USB check box is selected, USB power is supplied even when the computer is in standby mode, in hibernation mode, or turned off. When the computer is in hibernation mode or turned off, the Always On USB feature works only when the computer power is supplied through an ac adapter.

Note the last line: must be connected to an external power source to work.

I just tried it for the first time and it was able to initiate charging on 2 of the 3 mobile phones I experimented with. Not too useful IMO, because I always carry a USB power supply and would use that if I have access to AC.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

Well that could be a battery killer.

Thanks for the update. Personally I would never do this. But hey not everybody is like me.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to slajoh01

Unless specifically made to do so, there's no setting for it. I've seen this on toshiba systems and a few others.

Having the always on ports on doesn't cause a significant drain on the battery unless you're always charging something