All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to medbuyer

to medbuyer

Re: Connect Acer Android tablet to wired network?

said by medbuyer:
You can add an access point to your wired network for wireless devices

Not sure what you mean...how can this be done without adding a wi-fi router?

Cheers

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by vue666:

said by medbuyer:

Wireless Access Point

Cisco Refurbished Wireless-N Access Point with Dual Band -- for $60
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

said by medbuyer:

Cheers

seriously?

I thought you work as a network admin and would presume you'd be knowledgeable with networking devices / hardware...

how do you think Starbucks, Malls, Airports and any other public places be able to offer wifi? via a wireless ACCESS POINT scattered all around...it would be stupid of them to use wireless ROUTERS...

@ home, I got 3 pc's [1 works as an htpc], blu-ray, wii, xbox 360 that's all hardwired.....then, I got 2 wireless routers ACTING as an access point [by disabling its dhcp function] that serves my asus transformer tablet, iphone, nintendo ds and guests who come in with their own wifi devices.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

said by medbuyer:

said by vue666:

said by medbuyer:

Cheers

seriously?

I thought you work as a network admin and would presume you'd be knowledgeable with networking devices / hardware...

how do you think Starbucks, Malls, Airports and any other public places be able to offer wifi? via a wireless ACCESS POINT scattered all around...it would be stupid of them to use wireless ROUTERS...

@ home, I got 3 pc's [1 works as an htpc], blu-ray, wii, xbox 360 that's all hardwired.....then, I got 2 wireless routers ACTING as an access point [by disabling its dhcp function] that serves my asus transformer tablet, iphone, nintendo ds and guests who come in with their own wifi devices.

We do not use wireless in our corporate environment as our CIO has security concerns about wireless...
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by vue666:

We do not use wireless in our corporate environment as our CIO has security concerns about wireless...

I hate to say this, BUT, if you are their network admin, I'd be concerned too...

And what exactly are his concerns that can't be addressed? your CIO needs to be updated as there are now a LOT of wireless technologies out there that can fix his wireless issues / concerns. not to mention, hire the right people who knows their stuff combined with the right hardware.

Our manufacturing plant has a separate WIRELESS network that's on a different IP / subnet so our wireless and wired network don't totally see each other. All of this via 4 Cisco access points that covers the whole building...

It has two SSID's that are broadcasted for office people and for customers coming in, and is secured by a firewall, anti virus, external watch company etc....

and we've been doing this for years...
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

I work for the government.... their decisions don't have to make sense. But for now it's considered taboo....

However senior management do have Blackberries which are not tied to our file & print network and are administered by our Blackberry support team. I'm strictly file and print network support....

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Might want to upgrade your CIO

Anyway, on topic - you'll be hard pressed to get wired ethernet working on Android without significant headaches - unless the device specifically supports it.

Perhaps you should get a win7 tablet that supports wired ethernet, if that's a corporate requirement.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

said by JohnInSJ:

Perhaps you should get a win7 tablet that supports wired ethernet, if that's a corporate requirement.

Looked at the Windows tablets but I'd have to outlay a bit more cash with the gift certificate...

Cheers