spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grumpy64

@wildblue.net

[Fixed] How long does the testing phase normally take (fixed wir

A small company called bit communications just put towers up in my area in order to provide fixed wireless broadband. A rep told me that they started testing this past monday and they they could offer service as soon as testing was finished. She just didn't know how long the testing phase would take. Was wondering if someone here knew on average how long the process took. While i'm on the subject of FW how is it for gaming? I mean it's gotta be better then satellite and it's 2 second latency.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

Re: [Fixed] How long does the testing phase normally take (fixed

My county had a fixed wireless provider come in to test and it took 6 months of testing for them to realize their plan was not going to work. If everything had worked, I think they would have been selling services about 3 months from the original starting date of testing. I would look to a grand opening "freedom from your existing ISP" sale around July 4th.

As far as gaming it should be way better. If you have the proper antennas with clear line of site to the antennas on the towers, that will be good. If they are able to use the 5Ghz band, than you will not be bothered by all the 2.4GHz interference and crowding.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
said by davidhoffman:

My county had a fixed wireless provider come in to test and it took 6 months of testing...

When a new WISP built out in my area I could not wait to switch as the other WISP was terrible. I think I must have called them almost every week and got hooked up before their testing was complete. Anyway, they had setup both Canopy 900 and 5.7 but put all of their subs on 900. I was the only one on 5.7 which they somehow forgot about. Anyway... after months of issues, they finally realized it and had to switch me over to their 900 system until they got the 5.7 sorted out.

Back to the OP's question... it's like asking how long is a piece of string.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

grumpy64

@wildblue.net
can't say i'm not rather disappointed right now. I was so excited to be able to call Wildblue and cancel service any day now. So i could get out from under there horrible fap policy. Paying 80 bucks a month and having a 17 gig Download limit sucks when my neighbors less then 10 miles away pay like 30 bucks for internet and can Dl whatever they want as much as they want. On top of that my service goes out every time it rains. All in all it's kinda horrible but it's also the best available out here in cow land. Well T1 is also available but i can't afford 300 bucks a month. I know bit has gotten tired of me calling every other day for the past week but they always act like it will be ready to go any day now. Wish they would have been a little more forthcoming and said hey dude chill out it's gonna be a few months.

grumpy64

@12.189.32.x
not sure how it changes things if at all but i actually agreed to be a tester for the service months ago.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
It depends. I've brought towers online after only 5 days of 'testing', but also had some running for 3 months before I was happy with them. Rarely allow live 'testers' until we are actually ready to start installing customers... by that time we already know it works and just want some live load.

Lag is the killer for gamer's. Here's a ping from my desktop to google dns across a wireless connection.

8.8.8.8 64 byte ping: ttl=55 time=36 ms
8.8.8.8 64 byte ping: ttl=55 time=38 ms
8.8.8.8 64 byte ping: ttl=55 time=38 ms
8.8.8.8 64 byte ping: ttl=55 time=37 ms
55 packets transmitted, 55 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 36/36.7/44 ms

YMMV

S

grumpy64

@12.189.32.x
when 1000 ms lag is the norm 36 ms lag doesn't seem so bad at all. Maybe you can't play a seamless game of streetfighter on Fw but i would imagine you can play lots of games that you can't play on a sat connection. Semaphore is your set up mesh or point to point. I know point to point has lower latency.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
Our system is a combination of Mesh and PtP depending on the local. I'm located pretty much dead center of the network 6 hops to one gateway and 7 to the other. I don't know of any game that would need lower lag than that... it certainly wouldn't be playable by 90% of the world if it did.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to grumpy64
For me, when i setup my first transmitter, it took about a week with a potential test customer at 2.4ghz.

Now i can setup a transmitter and do one or two days of testing and then start hooking up customers to it because i know what to expect.

Things like finding the right frequencies to use, TDMA settings etc can be pretty tricky when a WISP is starting out.

If they are new, they will probably also redesign their network a couple of times in the next 2 years which could cause some outages but is part of a growing network. They probably wont have the huge money to setup a fancy network core etc. until they get a number of subscribers connected.

But yeah, anything between a week and 6 months seems to be the norm. If they take more than 3 months, they must be new and learning as they go.

grumpy64

@wildblue.net
No idea how old or new they are. First time i heard of them was about 1.5 years ago when i found out that they got a grant to do my county but they were already offering service in south hill which is about an hour up the road.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
reply to raytaylor
said by raytaylor:

But yeah, anything between a week and 6 months seems to be the norm. If they take more than 3 months, they must be new and learning as they go.

Or, if they are trying to cover a large area, they might be getting a dozen or more towers ready to turn on at the same time. Cell phone companies do it all the time... They announce a new xG coverage is active on the same day for 10 cities, which is probably a couple hundred towers they turn on at once.

They could be trying to impress everyone with their coverage area right off the bat.. Or maybe it is cheaper for them to get all the towers online before opening their offices and starting to do installs. Either way, you could be waiting well over a year if they move slowly. There's no way to tell for sure. And the people that you talk to at the company may not have anything to do with the ones working on the towers, so what they say may not be 100% accurate either.