uniqs
share rss forum feed

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
join:2004-04-01
OBX 12 North

[Bill] Random "non-recurring charges" of $255.36 on my

Called Comcast. There's no itemization. No one could tell me what it was for, only that according to their system I owed it. Makes my bill over $510 for the month.

We changed our plan to HD Complete XF Triple Play in February, but had always previously paid around $240/month for HDTV and HSI, including the correctly adjusted bill for the change in our service plan, so this isn't off-setting any previous credit adjustments that would have resulted in a much lower than normal bill.

Can someone please help? Comcast customer service is stumped. There's no way I should owe over $510 for one month of service.

(I'm in Chicago's western suburbs)
--
Hmmmm... That worked last time...

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT

Re: [Bill] Random "non-recurring charges" of $255.36 o

said by ZsExperiment:

Called Comcast. There's no itemization. No one could tell me what it was for, only that according to their system I owed it. Makes my bill over $510 for the month.

(I'm in Chicago's western suburbs)

»customer.comcast.com/Secure/Home.aspx

Sure there is itemization details but you have to log into your comcast account and view the details from the .pdf!

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
OBX 12 North
No, there is no itemization detail, just a single line item charge for $255.36 under "Non-recurring charges" with no description. Comcast customer service is stumped, as well.
--

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT
said by ZsExperiment:

No, there is no itemization detail, just a single line item charge for $255.36 under "Non-recurring charges" with no description. Comcast customer service is stumped, as well.

Smells like a bogus charge then...just reviewed my monthly statements for the last year and have never seen 'Non-recurring charges' appear in any of my details!

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
OBX 12 North
Yes, it's bogus. It's probably just a clerical error (e.g. maybe someone entered the normal triple play plan price in the wrong field) but I can't get anyone at Comcast customer service to remove it because they don't know what it is for.
--

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
reply to ZsExperiment
I don't think anyone here can give you an answer as to what the charges are all about, but if it were me, I'd drop into my closest Comcast office and explain - in a respectful but absolute manner - if they can't tell you what it's for, those charges WILL be removed from the account before you leave the office. (It's hard to "expect"/demand an action over the phone)

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ZsExperiment
How long have you lived where you live. Non recurring charges that high are usually install fees, equipment charges, or balance transfers from another address. If you didnt move lately what was the circumstances of your upgrade. 240 before and after the upgrade doesnt sound correct since 240 should have pretty well got you everything before and after the upgrade.

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ZsExperiment
Sounds like a charge for a non-returned cable box.. How many cable boxes do you have? Check them all to see if they are working.. It's possible that a box was taken off your account and was flagged as a non-return..

I only say this due to my recent experience having HBO added to my account. I have two addressable boxes, one HD and one standard. About 10 minutes after I got off the phone my HD box shut off, said every channel was unauthorized. A phone call into Comcast showed that whoever updated my account only added the HBO to one box and somehow removed the other box.

That experience has me somewhat leery, yesterday I finally broke down and went with one of their triple-play packages. We'll see how it goes this coming week once the new modem arrives. While I do not anticipate any issues installing, being as I have installed hundreds of these in the past, I am somewhat leery of my account getting screwed up again.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to somms
On the main page itself...not the PDF...

Current Bill (4/8 - 5/7)
Recurring charges (Services) $29.99
Non-recurring charges (e.g. One-time fees, PPV, Usage) $0.00
Taxes, surcharges, fees

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
OBX 12 North

1 edit
reply to beerbum
We've lived here for 8 years. All bills always paid in full. We have 3 HD boxes, 2 of them DVRs and all of those remained the same. The only equipment that changed was they sent me a new Arris TG862 modem which I installed myself, and I returned the SB5120 I had before (have a receipt for the return). All boxes have always been active and working.

Before we changed our plan the monthly bill for TV service alone was:
$120 for digital premier
$9 tech fee
$16 for 2 dual tuner DVRs
$8 for an additional HD outlet
$16 for another 2 additional digital outlets (includes little adapter box and remote - these replaced the analog outlets when analog service was discontinued)

So... about $170 for TV alone, 3 HDs plus another 2 digital outlets (total of 5 TVs in the house). HSI was an additional $54 for service and modem rental.

There is no reason for the additional $255.36 "non-recurring charge."
--

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
OBX 12 North
Okay... a more recent monthly bill for service for our 5 TVs (2 HD DVRs, 1 HD box, and 2 of the little digital adapter boxes that are for formerly analog outlets).

Not very happy that Comcast charges an additional $9 each per month for what used to be included analog outlets, especially since the digital channels received by those little boxes are extremely limited - not the full scope of digital channels.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by ZsExperiment:

Okay... a more recent monthly bill for service for our 5 TVs (2 HD DVRs, 1 HD box, and 2 of the little digital adapter boxes that are for formerly analog outlets).

[att=1]

Not very happy that Comcast charges an additional $9 each per month for what used to be included analog outlets, especially since the digital channels received by those little boxes are extremely limited - not the full scope of digital channels.

You can get two free digital adapters per account, vs the SD boxes you have now that cost $9. As you say, at $9 a pop there is NO reason to not get HD drops for outlets, or the free DTAs if they will work for you
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
OBX 12 North
I don't have any SD boxes. I only have the two DVRs, one HD box and 2 of those little digital adapters. You know, the ones that don't even get all of the digital channels. They're only about 3" x 5". They're really small.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by ZsExperiment:

I don't have any SD boxes. I only have the two DVRs, one HD box and 2 of those little digital adapters. You know, the ones that don't even get all of the digital channels. They're only about 3" x 5". They're really small.

If they are DTAs then they are free - otherwise you HAVE SD boxes, which cost $9 a month. The DTAs should not cost anything for up to two. You have two SD digital boxes, which cost as much each month as two HD boxes. You can get two DTAs for free, turn those in (get a receipt) and get that charge off your bill. You will only get what you used to get on the analog side (mostly ch 30 and below, less any digital premiums - locals will be there for sure) but hey, free is free.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
OBX 12 North
I only have the 2 DTAs Comcast sent out for free. I don't have SD boxes on the outlets that were formerly analog. The only boxes I have are the 2 DVRs and the one HD box. I have no SD boxes at all.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ZsExperiment
Actually, Comcast use to charge for each analog outlet too, but that was extremely hard to track since techs/customers used splitters. But I remember back in the day that I was charged a $2-3/mo. for each "outlet", until we called and told them we only had 1 TV and they removed the outlet fee.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ZsExperiment
Also, back in the day when I used to work for CC, we could put the customer's FIRST DVR on the primary outlet, saving them the $8.95/mo.

I think they can still do that. Since the first outlet fee is included with the package (as is a standard box), customers who upgraded to the DVR on the primary outlet would just pay the DVR Service. And then for a second DVR, they would pay $8 for DVR + $8.95 outlet fee.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ZsExperiment
Read your bill again. Your not getting charged for the dtas. You are being charged twice for the dvr service which is for the dvr service, not the box. Your being charged for three boxes. You have the three boxes plus the two free dtas which you also have but are NOT being charged for. The two dvrs plus the hd box equals three boxes. That is what shows on your bill. the dvr service has nothing to do with the rental of dvr boxes.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
OBX 12 North
If so, that still doesn't explain the random $255.36 non-recurring charge. And why isn't an outlet and box included in such a high level plan?
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to ZsExperiment
said by ZsExperiment:

Can you provide a screenshot of the bill? I would like to see what this looks like.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to ZsExperiment
No it doesnt explain the non recurring charges. Im thinking when you called for a explanation your call went to a third party call center with less info available. In other words call again. Ive been out of the loop but if memory serves me correct a digital box is included with your plan. Just not a hd one. yea its a high level of a plan but its also a high level of service. maybe some levels of support are closed for the holiday weekend. You might want to try this week when things get back to normal. Comcast is usually very good at explaining what the charges are for.

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
reply to ZsExperiment
What the heck? Who's running this company?

If a charge shows up on the bill, and the company cannot figure out what it was for, how insane can they be that they don't simply remove the charge?

$255.36 is a tiny drop in the bucket to a huge corporation like Comcast. The correct procedure is to remove the charge and apologize to the customer. What are they thinking?

This is what drives people to hate companies like Comcast. They refuse to employ common sense and provide good customer service. It should be impossible for a billing system to generate a charge without a code explaining what it's for.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
The person on the phone couldnt tell her what it was for. Could be a lot of reasons for that. Computer issues, department closed, many a reasons. Thats why you get transferred to someone that can tell you. Of course if people are off for the holiday or just off hours that cant happen. I dont really know of any company thats just going to remove 200.00 plus dollars because someone isnt in.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium
OBX 12 North
This has been going on for a couple of months. Previously, it was only on the online account page under unbilled activity. The customer service rep I asked about it a few weeks ago said it was just a clerical entry mistake and it would never actually show up on my bill. But this month it moved out of unbilled activity and it's listed as a non-recurring charge, making my bill total to over $510.

I've always been billed around $240 each month and have always paid the bill in full. No one I've spoken to at Comcast either before or now has any idea what the $255.36 is for. Yes, Comcast has totally messed up my bill and no one at Comcast either then or now has any idea what's going on.
--

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
Precisely. At this point any sane company would just remove the charge. There's a word for charging customers without a valid reason, and that is fraud.

ZsExperiment, I suggest mentioning words like "Public Utilities Commission" in your conversations with customer service. If this does not help, report them. The PUC typically does not look kindly on fraud.

Edit: You might mention this in the Comcast Direct forum, too. The folks there seem to have lines to people far higher in the company than you can get to through normal support. It's worth a try!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ZsExperiment
call during "Business Hours" (M-F, 9-5) to reach someone from billing (ie CSR say "I'll remove the charge" but above a certain dollar amount, or in the case of an unknown, they really just mark it to be 'franked'/approved/researched by a qualified, authorized person.
Errors happen, work it through the system, POLITELY, and you MIGHT get a paid apology beyond the removal of charges.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to ZsExperiment
I hope you do call as suggested by spotted cat.

And call the corporate office NOT the 800 #

This number, 1 215 665-1700, should get the ball rolling for you.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to ZsExperiment
On your bill there should be info for the city in which you live in as they are the franchising authority. Call them (number is most likely on the bill) and the city will most likely have someone who handles issues with the cable company. My experience (on the city end) that issues are resolved very quickly.
--
This Space for Rent...

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to ZsExperiment
I don't mean to sound like a doubting asshat, but it certainly would be nice to see proof of this on an online billing statement. I have never seen anything like this before, and it would be nice to see what it looks like on the bill.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

Agree with that, but I do believe the fellow.

---------------------------------

This is why an old lady a few years back had to go down to the local Comcast office and attacked them with a hammer.

I bet that all the people the OP talked to are of the younger generation---

Afraid to do anything other than what the computer tells them, afraid to admit that there could be a mistake, afraid to acknowledge any reality in the universe other than what they see on their monitor....

....Afraid to override the computer, or to at least try to get hold of a supervisor with the power to do so.

Afraid to be human, afraid to have any balls.