uniqs
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

firefox and mailto links

Mrs. (acting) dave reports that mailto links in web pages have recently stopped working for her.

Relevant things:

Windows 7 x64
Firefox 11.0
Windows Live Mail

The 'applications' info under Firefox options points at Live Mail.

Mailto links are highlighted like any link, but clicking on them does nothing (no errors, nothing in the event log, nothing to see)

The exact same mailto link, clicked under IE9, brings up Live Mail as expected, so it seems the problem is at the Firefox end of things.

I can't see what might be the trouble. Anyone got any hints? Thanks.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Options -> applications: mailto

I confirmed my mailto links work here, and you can even specify a popular webmail service as your default mailto.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to dave

Premium Member

to dave
I hadn't had mail set up before, but I just tried it in FF 11 on Win7 x64:

Seems to be working.

Could it be some sort of .JS link that is being blocked or is it just a standard mailto link?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Options -> applications: mailto

Yeah, that's how it's set up already. That's what I meant by saying "The 'applications' info under Firefox options points at Live Mail."

It was working and now it ain't.

Possibly there was an update installed to either the OS or Firefox that was the cause of the borkage, but I don't know.
dave

dave to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

Could it be some sort of .JS link that is being blocked or is it just a standard mailto link?

Standard mailto - I made myself a little html file with nothing in it but a mailto reference, just to eliminate all doubt.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to dave

Premium Member

to dave
Firefox will pickup on the default mail application, so in the internet options in the control panel it might help to reaffirm live mail as the default application, or even in the program itself.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

OK, I figured out how to recover, with a little googling.

I blew away the mimeTypes.rdf file (in the Firefox profile dir) and let Firefox create a new one. Now it works.

I don't think mrs. (acting) dave had much customization in there, so this seems like it'll be straightforward.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator

Premium Member

said by dave:

Standard mailto - I made myself a little html file with nothing in it but a mailto reference, just to eliminate all doubt.

I bet ya used Notepad++ too eh?
said by dave:

OK, I figured out how to recover, with a little googling.

I blew away the mimeTypes.rdf file (in the Firefox profile dir) and let Firefox create a new one. Now it works.

I don't think mrs. (acting) dave had much customization in there, so this seems like it'll be straightforward.

Ah, right on. Cheers!

Myself, if I had an (acting) wifey in the loop would've just moved the offending file to a safe locale in case of a programmer error.