Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
join:2001-12-05
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service

Tapping noise after tune up

I had a complete tuneup on a 6cyl Honda accord 2004 last fall. Anyway i always seemed to think the engine made more noise after it. I know it does now. Especially when it's cold.. gets better as it warms up.. but i always remembered my car being quieter before this tune up.. Do you think it could be serious?

zach3
Zach
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO
It could be but it would help if you would supply more information.

What was done during the tuneup?
How many miles are on the car??
Have you checked the oil level??
How is the car driven???
How often do you have the car tuned up??
What type of Oil was put in the car?

I am sure that others will have even more questions.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service
The tuneup consisted of plugs, belts, valve adjustment, water pump .. 110,000 miles .. i always use mobile 1 ..past few years driving has consisted of short runs.. being retired now i have no where to go much.

I thought it was a little louder after this past tuneup. I'm going to bring it back to them.. but by the time i get there it will have quieted down..

zach3
Zach
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Rungel
One other question; how often do you have your oil changed???

Now this is just a guess but sounds like they may have not adjusted the valves correctly.

110,000 miles on a Honda means to me that it is just beginning to get broken in as long as you have kept up with normal oil changes and not driven the car like a NYC Taxi Cab.

I am sure that you will have some more posts from other individuals with more knowledge than I, so wait for some more comments.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service
I change my oil every 5k miles.. used to be 6k when i was driving longer distances. But i am thinking this valve adjustment didn't go very well. When i was there having it done.. they were saying how this mechanic "name" was a real good one.. and that had me wondering as i was driving out..lol ..

i wish i had a recorder i would put a file up.. I have poor hearing so if i can tell it they should be able to hear it.
--

'rocking the awakening mind'!

zach3
Zach
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Rungel
Sounds like you have taken care of your car properly so hopefully it is nothing major and as simple as having the valves re-adjusted.

By the way how about the NYC Taxi Cab????

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service
said by zach3:

By the way how about the NYC Taxi Cab????

Oh no.. I probably should push it more than i do..

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Rungel
Sounds like the valves were mis-adjusted?

2004 Honda Accord Instructions
V6 valve adjustment
»www.driveaccord.net/forums/showt···p?t=6718
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service
Thanks Doctor Olds.. I'm thinking the engine may not have been cooled down enough maybe..But i did leave the car all day with them. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Plus i will have my neighbor who's a mechanic have a listen..

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
reply to zach3
Well i called the dealer to make an appointment .. get the tranny fluid changed also. He said it's a $99 an hr rate to check the valves .. i said well this has been going on since the tuneup.. so will see.. the other day it's didn't sound bad..

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by Rungel:

Well i called the dealer to make an appointment .. get the tranny fluid changed also. He said it's a $99 an hr rate to check the valves .. i said well this has been going on since the tuneup.. so will see.. the other day it's didn't sound bad..

If they adjusted the valves as part of the prior tune up service then it should be a comeback and corrected at no charge if the clearances are found to be out of specification.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service

1 edit
said by Doctor Olds:

said by Rungel:

If they adjusted the valves as part of the prior tune up service then it should be a comeback and corrected at no charge if the clearances are found to be out of specification.

Right.. I'm wondering if it could just need some fuel injector cleaner. I can only hear it after a cold start and then pretty much only when accelerating at a slow speed. But i really don't want to buy any cause it might mess up there diagnosis .
--

'rocking the awakening mind'!

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

Fuel injection cleaning would have nothing to do with valvetrain noise. I agree that it sounds like they were improperly adjusted the last time in.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service
Well just got back.. and as i suspected it would not make any noise.. actually been quiet last few days.. They said just see how it goes and if it does get worse i would have to leave it over night.. They thought it sounded good. I had them do a fuel injection cleaning .. what the heck every 100k for that..

dsanfte

join:2005-03-15
UK
reply to Rungel
I had a tapping for 6mos that drove me nuts and it turned out to be a loose spark plug.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service
said by dsanfte:

I had a tapping for 6mos that drove me nuts and it turned out to be a loose spark plug.

Interesting.. good to know .. i would never have thought of that.. well it seems quiet now..