uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to KirkyInCT

Premium Member

to KirkyInCT

Re: Portable Propane Generator Project- Complete!

said by KirkyInCT:

Good job, nice to see a code compliant install, rather than what many people have been doing. I just spent probably 6K on my install (14Kw Kohler propane powered standby). I'm praying for a decent power outage though, because I need to make all that work worth it.

The inspector was telling me all sort of horror stories of what people were doing during our outages. I'm surprised we didn't hear any reports of dead linemen quite honestly.

Kudos to you!

BTW - I'm testing mine about every three months, I don't want to cause un necessary wear on the engine. Most wear is during startup, and doing a weekly test just doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the compliments! I'm probably into this entire project for about $1700, which includes 6000 watt generator and all electrical and propane work. I think that's reasonable to ensure this job was done properly.

But please... please... stop praying for an outage!
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by aannoonn :

Now all you need to do is pray for a power failure!

I'm over 50 years old, and the longest power failure we've ever had anywhere I've lived was less than 10 hours. I can live with that.

He bought the generator. He's not going to have another power failure until the generator isn't working anymore.

Knowing my luck, that will probably be the case!
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Dell User

Premium Member

to Dell User
said by Dell User:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Hope that helped!

Yes, Thank you

Sent you a PM.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by aannoonn :

Now all you need to do is pray for a power failure!

I'm over 50 years old, and the longest power failure we've ever had anywhere I've lived was less than 10 hours. I can live with that.

He bought the generator. He's not going to have another power failure until the generator isn't working anymore.

Isn't that the truth. I got my portable generator after a 3 day outage in 2005, caused by a tropical storm. Since then, the power has not failed for long enough to use it.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Raphion:

Isn't that the truth. I got my portable generator after a 3 day outage in 2005, caused by a tropical storm. Since then, the power has not failed for long enough to use it.

Define long enough.

If your generator setup is quick to get going, like simply going to the generator, starting it, then flipping the transfer switch, then any power outage over 1 hour would be worth it.

Personally, I don't even wait. I take my time preparing (Getting dressed, boots, gas tank, etc) and just before I pull the starter, I look at neighbors if they have power. If not, then I go for it.

Waiting 3 hours and then starting it still risks the wastefulness of only using it for 30 minutes.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to aannoonn

to aannoonn
You won't appreciate having a standby generator until you loose power for 4 1/2 Days, like we did after a Hurricane, when we lived in South Florida. What really sucks is not having AC and the outside temperature is 90 Degrees. We did not install one here in Central Florida because we were not certain we would remain in this house long enough to justify the $12,000.00 cost. The worst power outage we had so far lasted about 6 Hours.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Mr Matt:

You won't appreciate having a standby generator until you loose power for 4 1/2 Days, like we did after a Hurricane, when we lived in South Florida. What really sucks is not having AC and the outside temperature is 90 Degrees. We did not install one here in Central Florida because we were not certain we would remain in this house long enough to justify the $12,000.00 cost. The worst power outage we had so far lasted about 6 Hours.

How about 17 days after Isabel, 7 days after Irene and many events 1 day or more.

I don't care what it costs, how much trouble it is I am going to have some power.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

How about 17 days after Isabel, 7 days after Irene and many events 1 day or more.

I don't care what it costs, how much trouble it is I am going to have some power.

If I recall correctly, didn't you previously say you refuse to pay what those thieves want for propane.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Jack_in_VA:

If I recall correctly, didn't you previously say you refuse to pay what those thieves want for propane.

You saw me post I was not going to use the propane for my propane Buck Stove unless the power was off. Otherwise my Heat Pump does just fine.

My generator is gasoline powered not propane powered so you are mistaken in your statement.

I will run my generator to provide power to my computer so I can post on DSL Reports.

tmh
@comcastbusiness.net

tmh to Jack_in_VA

Anon

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Amen. I lost power for 4-1/2 days in the blizzard of 2010. Indoor temperatures dropped to 55F during the day. I was thoroughly sick of that by the third day and vowed to get a generator for the next time.

I got a nice 3200W Subaru inverter with a runtime of 12 hours on 3 gals. Got it all wired up nice and proper and waited for the next big one.

Right after that, they upgraded the power through our neighborhood. Now we get outages of less than an hour. There isn't even enough time to unload the genny and get her fired up, darn it.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by tmh :

Right after that, they upgraded the power through our neighborhood. Now we get outages of less than an hour. There isn't even enough time to unload the genny and get her fired up, darn it.

There's only one solution, move out to the boonies, preferably where tornados occur.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by tmh :

There's only one solution, move out to the boonies, preferably where tornados occur.

You missed some: Hurricanes, North Easters, Ice Storms the list should include them. There's nothing like living on the edge of disaster.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by alkizmo:

said by tmh :

You missed some: Hurricanes, North Easters, Ice Storms the list should include them. There's nothing like living on the edge of disaster.

Going without power when it's still relatively warm out isn't pleasant. Going without power in the middle of the winter (North Easters, Ice Storms) is not only unpleasant, but can wreak havoc with one's house and is dangerous.

It's the latter of those two scenarios that concerns me the most... and a significant part of my decision to go ahead with my generator project.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Don't forget those of us with basements and "active" sump pumps which, if left off, would provide an unplanned indoor swimming pool fed by underground spring water. A reliable source of power is needed there, too.

Oh, and the water-powered backup pumps are a nice idea, but not too practical if you only have well water... No power = no water and that pool filling up. That's when you really miss having power.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by garys_2k:

Don't forget those of us with basements and "active" sump pumps which, if left off, would provide an unplanned indoor swimming pool fed by underground spring water. A reliable source of power is needed there, too.

Oh, and the water-powered backup pumps are a nice idea, but not too practical if you only have well water... No power = no water and that pool filling up. That's when you really miss having power.

That's why most people will go to almost any lengths to not let that happen.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo

I'm so glad I don't need a sump pump. So many people talk about how to keep them running. I have a french drain that's as dry as Hillary Clinton.

Though I do have to worry about pipes freezing, but I have like 24h to do something, and ultimately the option to turn off the main line.

tmh
@comcastbusiness.net

tmh to alkizmo

Anon

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

No problems with that. But I'd lose my Fios connection. Now that would be an epic disaster.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by tmh :

said by alkizmo:

No problems with that. But I'd lose my Fios connection. Now that would be an epic disaster.

No not really we have innernet out here in the sticks
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

49528867 (banned)

said by fifty nine:

No not really we have innernet out here in the sticks

Innernet, is that like digital inbreeding?

Wayne

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo

said by 49528867:

Innernet, is that like digital inbreeding?

No, it is the inner netting inside men's bathingsuit

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I see CL&P furiously cutting limbs and making repairs to their infrastructure locally... I think they know CT residents won't tolerate another round of power outages like we had last fall. But I can't be sure of how long I'll be out with certainty anymore...

Some parts here they've been cutting for a week I've never seen so much limb cutting since I moved to CT back in '97
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I remember when I was a kid, CL&P (or their subcontractors) would come pretty much every year to trim trees on our road to make sure their lines were as far away from limbs as possible.

One tree in particular ended up looking like a cresent moon as it was hacked year after year by the power crews.

All of a sudden.... it just stopped. Nobody came to trim those trees ever again that I can recall... and then these last 2 power outages happened. Not sure if limb cutting will be restored permanently... but at least for now, CL&P seems to be trying to get a handle on their infrastructure for the first time in a long time!
XXXXXXXXXXX1

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I posted the following in another forum as we were talking about the approximate cost to run my setup for an extended outage... I think my math is right... but can someone confirm or refute? Tks.

My source website: »www.yamaha-propane-natur ··· tion.htm

-----------------------------

I've been thinking about the cost issue and did some back of the envelope math. My generator is 13 hp, and at peak draw, it would need about 130,000 btu/hr of propane. It's unreasonable to assume peak draw consistently... and from my quick research, 50% load seems to be a reasonable assumption about demands placed on the unit.

So, if I'm running at 50% capacity, I'm consuming ~65,000 btu/hr.

65,000 btu/hr * 24 hrs. * 7 days = 10,920,000 btu's needed

There are ~91,500 btu in one gallon of propane... so...

10,920,000 btu / 91,500 btu/gal = ~119 gallons of propane

My cost of propane is currently $2.12/gal.

119 gallons * $2.12/gal = $252.28

So to run my generator at 50% capacity 24/7 for 7 days would cost approximately $252.... not bad at all considering what a freezer of food would cost to replace (and the ability to take a hot shower and stay warm!). And I have up to 400 gallons of fuel on site, ready at a moment's notice- no lines at the gas station, no downed trees to contend with... just plug and play .

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

1 recommendation

cowboyro

Premium Member

Sounds right.
Side note: you won't draw 50% average. That's 3500W.
See your bill and divide the usage by 30*24 to see the actual average draw. For reference 1000kWh/month means 1400W average, so you're probably looking at under 25% load - so probably 70% of the usage at 50% load (keep in mind that 0% load doesn't result in 0 usage).
70% of 250 is 175... see I just saved you 75, you can paypal me half of that and call it a deal...

shdesigns