Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

2 edits

[Parts Check] New AMD FX-8150 / ATI 7970 Build

Hey guys replacing my rig I built in 2009 looking for review.

Its staying AMD and staying ATI and somewhat sticking with ASUS MoBo many boards from them with no probs, otherwise up for some modifications.

Already Have HDD's and Wont have and Optical Drives just gonna use an External when needed (Rarely).

Here are the parts.

Case: NORCO RPC-470 Black 4U Rackmount Server Case 3 External 5.25" Drive Bays - OEM
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11219020

It sits on a shelf where 4U rackmounts work better.

Power Supply:SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17151088

MoBo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13131735

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRW8KGU - OEM
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19106007

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLW0211 Bigwater 760 Plus Dual Bay Drives Water Cooling Core i7 Compliant
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35106183

Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35100007

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231503

4x4GB or 2x8GB?

Video: XFX FX-797A-TNBC Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14150591
--
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 w/4 Cores @ 3.41Ghz(OC) | 4Gb DDR3 Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600 (RTM) | Windstream DSL 12m (14.9m Sync)/766k

asdfdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com

Are you just wanting to check that the parts will work or are you wanting advice on your build?

If the latter then we need some info about your key uses.

Based on your graphics card it looks like gaming is important but I'm confused about your case choice. At any rate if we assume that gaming is one of the key drivers of this then I would note that an 8 core zambezi is not likely to be a big advance over a 3 core phenom II overclocked to 3.5 Ghz.
More than 3 or 4 cores isn't doing much for gaming and the per core performance of the latest amd chips isn't very impressive. In some cases it is even lower than the phenom II. Your 4870 is getting a bit long in the tooth and replacing the graphics card could be a sound idea but you may be disappointed with the results of a lot of the other spending you are considering.

I see you also like to run a variety of distributed computing apps. Certainly having more cores here is going to help but, with things like folding at home, simply replacing your graphics card may give a nice boost in production.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Napsterbater

Why AMD? Are you aware that even dollar for dollar, AMD Bulldozer is not the better choice?

What will you be using and doing on this system?

You will find that most here will strongly discourage you from going AMD, mind you, I am a fan of the company, but over the last few years they have fallen on their face pretty bad. They sold their foundries and did other really stupid things.

The bulldozer will give weak results compared to an i5 current gen.

Do you want a good build, or perhaps your want to stay with a brand because of loyalty? Just consider, it if it loyalty, let's say you were loyal to Burger King instead of McDonald's but the burgers at BK were making you sick... Why be loyal?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
reply to asdfdfdfdfdf

I guess use is an important piece of information, It is mainly a gaming machine, and this system probably wont run any DC apps.

My both my CPU and GPU are both becoming bottle necks in the games I'm playing and apps I'm using.

asdfdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com

If you are sure that the cpu is a bottleneck in your games then you really need to go with an intel i5/i7 quad core. For per core gaming performance the 8150 isn't very superior to what you have now(especially as you are overclocking what you have to 3.5Ghz) and going from 3-8 cores isn't going to be much help. The i5 2500k can be 50% faster for some games vs the 8150, if you are comparing low resolution non-gpu bottleneck situations(where these cpu differences really matter). It doesn't make much sense to pair a 7970 with the 8150 cpu. If you are going to buy a high end graphics card you need to pair it with a higher performance cpu.

If you want to consider the possibility that a more modest graphics upgrade and no cpu/motherboard/ram/psu replacement might meet your needs then we can discuss the specific games you are having problems with and the resolutions that you are running them at.

asdfdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com
reply to Napsterbater

To answer your original question the parts you have chosen should work together.

I don't know of any need to worry about 4x4 ram. If anyone else knows more about this they should answer.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to Napsterbater

Another consideration for you, might be the addition of a SSD. Especially for a gaming rig that must load complex scenes and constantly update them. Some folks, (my son as well) plays WoW and has said the SSD has made a bigger performance boost, than a faster CPU, or Vid card!

(If your budget will allow).
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Napsterbater

While an 8150 can certainly handle a 7970(read the cpu wont bottle neck the gpu at least based on what I have seen) an i5 2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz will blow the 8150(even if its also oc'd to 4.5ghz) out of the water.

However, if you use all 8 cores the 8150 will be a better choice then the 2500k, but an i7 2600k or 2700k(both having 4 cores/8 threads) will beat the 8150 in everything even with all 8 cores going the i7 does cost about $100 more depending on where you but it from. Gaming doesn't use more than 4 cores(but I have seen a 6 core engine being worked on) so if gaming is your main concern get the 2500k if threaded apps are your main concern get the 8150.

If you want an amd thats got lots of cores get an x4 960t and unlock it to a 1050t 6core cpu and oc it to 4.0ghz.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Napsterbater

Ivy bridge is out in a couple more weeks. I would not even consider a AMD build atm.... You are just robbing yourself of performance.