Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA

[FiOS] New MLB Extra Innings channels?

In my never-ending quest to root out a straight answer, I'll post here, too... Maybe Ben J or frontiertim knows the answer:

Is Frontier going to add the additional MLB Extra Innings HD channels that iN DEMAND launched this season? Customer service ranges from "yes" to "no idea" and the Frontier West Facebook page says "not a chance." However, the free preview is showing HD channels 1 through 5 on 1473 and 1474, which matches what a Verizon-managed market shows. On a friend's Comcast subscription, the free preview slide only shows 2 HD channels.

So, yeah, the results are a bit confusing.
Expand your moderator at work

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to wesm

Re: [FiOS] New MLB Extra Innings channels?

Wesm-
As a FIOS customer, and one who is getting the 3 new MLB EI HD channels (which look great) - if you didn't check the FIOS TV thread, this is Verizon's first use of distributing HD channels in MPEG-4 format. They were able to put 3 of these into 1 QAM frequency (and from what i can tell, this was the last national open spot). They are dying for capacity.

As a result, any customer with an older Motorola 6xxx box will not be able to view these channels. I'm not sure if that's a route that Frontier wants to drive down.

**EDIT** - Oops! Thanks Darc! (miss your posts!!)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Fairpoint??

Frontier!

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

Wesm-
As a FIOS customer, and one who is getting the 3 new MLB EI HD channels (which look great) - if you didn't check the FIOS TV thread, this is Verizon's first use of distributing HD channels in MPEG-4 format. ... As a result, any customer with an older Motorola 6xxx box will not be able to view these channels. I'm not sure if that's a route that Fairpoint wants to drive down.

(Perhaps you meant Frontier? )

Without knowing how Frontier/Verizon's back-end video system works--I did see the thread where MPEG4 is mentioned--perhaps whatever Frontier has simply can't process the video. I wonder, though, if the intersection of the three groups of people ("People who subscribe to Frontier," "People who will buy MLB Extra Innings and notice the three missing channels," "People who have an older box") is sufficiently large as to be of concern to them. You're probably right that Frontier isn't going to pick them up.

If it happens, awesome. If not, I haven't lost anything since Comcast in the PNW doesn't have them, either and I still have MLB.tv.